neighbors chickens

neighbors chickens

This is a discussion on neighbors chickens within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have asked year after year for my neighbor to keep his chickens out of my yard! and they invade my yard year after year! ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar

neighbors chickens

I have asked year after year for my neighbor to keep his chickens out of my yard! and they invade my yard year after year! They crap everywere eat anything I plant and bother my dogs that live in a 30/30 fenced in area. so what do I do? do I ask again for the billionth time?? or do I start picking them off treating myself to a couple extra chicken dinners?? or maybe just poison them (putting the poison in my yard) I am gonna have to think about it before I make any disicions I just needed to vent a little.
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Target practice!!!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

If I go that route what do I use?? .22/9mm/.40/.45/12 guage/ or my bow????
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Get a pet fox. Or maybe a statute of one.

Be careful. If your lawyer says its legal, then get a BB gun or a .22 and start pluckin' them off.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

A broadhead at ten yards, should do the trick.

hehehe I keep chickens and if one escapes my yard it's practically a suicide attempt by the bird, they rarely make it back home. Maybe your neighbor needs to learn the same.
    Usually it's dogs that get mine though, I'm surprised yours don't bother the birds. I'd be wary of shooting in the city.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Who let the dogs out?

Chicken and dumplings mmmmmmmmmm
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

Tell your neighbor if the chickens want to keep coming in your yard, you'll need at least a dozen eggs a week.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Dinner! You catch em you keep em.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    First be careful, in some states chickens are considered livestock and have certain protections. Call your local animal control agency. They will come out and take a look and talk to your neighbor. Animal control could then advise you on what step to take next if the situation continues. My uncle ran a horse stable in Virginia and some people down the road would not control their dogs. The dogs would come to the stables and chase the horses. My uncle called the local county police, animal control, and game warden. They all talked to the dog owners. The dog owners were advised that the dogs could be shot by my uncle the next time he saw them on the stable property. The kicker came when they also told the dog owners that if my uncle didn't want to shoot the dogs they would have no choice but to do it for him. In a short time the dogs stopped chasing the horses. Have animal control be your next step before you start shooting or poisoning them. This way you can show that you are taking what legal steps you can to avoid killing the chickens. Also poison would be a bad idea. Any animal could eat the poison even your own pets.

Looks like I got phone calls to make. To bad I follow the law running chicken's and a pistol would be great training

Talk about great reactive targets,Benny Hill music in the background
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Do some research about the legality.
    Then inform your neighbor that the next time chicken(s) are on your property they WILL be dealt with.
    Maybe your neighbor will be more proactive in keeping them cooped up if he realizes the consequences.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Lots of good advice above. I have chickens at my place, about an acre, and keep them cooped up. sometimes I let em out about two hours before dark so they don't get far enough to annoy any neighbors.
    But you're correct, they should not allow them to run free and get into your yard or anyone elses for that matter. Probably the best way to handle the situation and the easiest by far, simply type up a letter asking them to keep them out of your yard or they will be either shot or trapped and turned over to the animal control folks. Deliver the letter with either registered mail or return receipt so you have proof of delivery, you could give them say a week to comply or a date by which you will take action. Then do what you told them you would.
    If you are uncomfortable with shooting them the Havahart traps work well baited with some ground corn (check your wal mart for Deer Feed) Quite often the local animal control will have the traps you can check out or borrow. If not they aren't that expensive and come in handy for trapping coons or possums or stray cats/dogs.
    Poison would be problematic, it may effect local cats or dogs. Shooting, depending on where you live, could be illegal and also noisy (unless you have a nice pellet gun).
    If you do contact these neighbors, carefully document your calls and requests, it will make a better case in the event you go to court, also document when the chickens are in your yard and what you did that particular day (like call the neighbors).
    Good luck, usualy perseverence will win and you will be successful.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links