Sellers or elitists?

This is a discussion on Sellers or elitists? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So let me begin by stating that I respect the right of a seller of an item to set their own terms and am all ...

Thread: Sellers or elitists?

Sellers or elitists?

So let me begin by stating that I respect the right of a seller of an item to set their own terms and am all for covering your butt.

What I'm wondering is this... When a bill of sale written with the proper language (ie. having the buyer affirm that he's not a prohibited person with ID and signature) is enough to keep the seller out of trouble in the event buyer does something dumb... What is the purpose of requiring a CHL or whatever license...? It seems like elitism to me... Almost a "We have permits, we're the only ones that should have guns." sort of thing. It reminds me a lot of some of those anti-gun proponents out there who lobby and legislate against guns, yet keep them themselves.

Just my opinion, feel free to agree or disagree, but if you do disagree please attack the message, and refrain from attacking the messenger.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Some just want more than a bill of sale to cover their behind with.

VIP Member
    Some states like here in North Carolina require the seller to obtain a permit to purchase from the buyer or a copy of the buyers CHL in order to transfer a handgun.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I was really leaning more towards localities that allow FTF deals ... Here in Florida, for example, if I were cleaning my gun on the porch and a guy walked up and offered to buy it, I'd be legally covered with having the guy sign a bill of sale and checking his ID against it, though I'm not even required to do so... In places that don't require a CHL for purchase (IE nowhere that requires a permit to purchase such as IL, MI, and apparently NC) what's the purpose of requiring a CHL? It just seems a little overkill to me is all... I'm also aware that we don't all feel the same way about 2A rights as well... I'm sure there are many gun owners that sell things (or advertise to sell things) places and don't believe everyone should have guns, and that governmental regulation is alright so long as only people with permits have guns...

I dunno, it is mostly just a musing, and something I've wondered about from time to time.

In a private sale, a seller can set whatever rules he wants. A buyer can accept or reject the rules or add his own. A private seller can also refuse to sell it to you based on anything he wants, including race, religion, gender, socio-economic status, sexual orientation, etc. Don’t like the rules/conditions, don’t buy it.
    Perhaps some are covering their butt, others may see the guns as their children and want them to go to a “good” home. Either way, they can do what they want, so can the buyer.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I'm not debating their right to set whatever requirements they want... The first line in my original post is quoted below in case you missed it :)

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Driver
    So let me begin by stating that I respect the right of a seller of an item to set their own terms and am all for covering your butt.
    What I was commenting on is the reasoning behind it. I appreciate that you mentioned a possible reason or two.

VIP Member
    I'd be loathe to sell a handgun to anyone who is unlicensed. Even though the transaction is fully legal where private sales are
    allowed, the unlicensed possession of the item could cause the buyer to be arrested under certain circumstances. Therefore, I think it appropriate to ask to see the license. Also, it could be construed (in a worst case situation) that you were partly responsible for what followed because you didn't do appropriate diligence.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    I write it off to a combination of paranoia, laziness and ignorance. They worry they might be held legally or morally responsible for selling a gun to someone who would use it criminally, and that seeing a CWP protects them from that.

Links