It's actually worse than this...

This is a discussion on It's actually worse than this... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...q0_ZQD9HVS6M04 Getting reports of more casualties than are being reported in the news. Apparently, this was a linear ambush on a patrol that was responding ...

Thread: It's actually worse than this...

VIP Member

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...q0_ZQD9HVS6M04

Getting reports of more casualties than are being reported in the news. Apparently, this was a linear ambush on a patrol that was responding to information from an informant. A 600m long series of IEDs exploded (around 50 devices detonated, a few more failed to detonate) as the patrol moved down a road. Bad day for the CNP...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    That's bad. I fear this is one of those places/cases where it has to get worse before it gets better.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

That majorly sucks!
    I would expect that the informant (if they can find him)is being thoroughly interviewed.
    I hope none of the casualties are friends of yours.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Thats one of the longest chains of IED's I have ever heard of, 600m, that's insane.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    That was a hit.

Going through the trouble of wiring 50 IEDS to blast means that you want someone very badly.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Truly, this has to be some sort of record. Sixty devices, 50lbs each, spread over 600m. Luckily (?), they are believed to have been ANFO - a true high explosive would have been truly catastrophic...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    ANFO works best when under compression.

HE would have tore up some earth. If HE was set off at the same time, the pressure waves would have mutiplied the effect. I still think it was a hit. On who exactly we may never know.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

ANFO or not, that is like 3,000 pounds of explosives, which is the most I have ever heard of, I saw some car bombs I thought were big, I can't imagine that blast. Over 600 meters is one device every 10 meters, which made the whole thing a kill zone, with overlapping zones from the devices (of course depends on terrain and how well the stuff was made).

Someone was planning it for a long time to cook up a batch of bombs that big.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    It definatley took a lot of doing.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

If I ever thought of one place I would never want to be,inside that kill zone would be at the top,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    It doesn't look, at least at this point, as though it were a targeted hit on a particular person. It was DEFINITELY a targeted hit on the Colombian National Police. Basically, an informant provided information that caused a relatively large patrol of Carabinero police (32 officers in three vehicles) to respond to the area where the mechanical ambush was set up. With all three vehicles in the (HUGE) kill zone, the bad guys (presumed to be FARC, as this area is one of their strongholds) detonated the series of devices. That about half of the group survived without serious injury is the most amazing part...

I sure hope that this isn't a sign of things to come - there isn't much you can do if you're caught in the middle of a quarter-mile long IED...

Sponsored Links