My 50 year old back.

This is a discussion on My 50 year old back. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have had back problems for years and it flares up when I do too much physical work. Today i am sore/stiff from cleaning out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 50 year old back.

My 50 year old back.

I have had back problems for years and it flares up when I do too much physical work. Today i am sore/stiff from cleaning out the basement and moving stuff around yesterday. Well, the icing on the cake today was some nit-wit trying to pull out while looking to the right with a cell phone glued to his ear. I swerved for both of us, laid on the horn , tensed up and now I am more miserable than usual.

I wish someone would teach these youngsters how to phone and drive at the same time.

2. Remove Ads

I feel your pain, no pun intended. I am 45 and my back has alot of damage from hitting the ground after parachuting, carry alot of weight on my back while humping long distance, and other general service related activities. I am going to see my chiropractor this evening, as that is the only relief I can get.

VIP Member
    For the part about the nitwit, nothing much to be done.

For the back, I have had back problems since I was about 40, they come on suddenly, unexpectedly, and can put me on the ground on all fours in a split second. I have found by accident that wearing shoes with lots and lots of heal padding helps prevents the problem. I have also found that the MBT style (sole isn't flat) shifts my weight from my heal and prevents or eases back problems.

Also, while exercise may be wrong for you, I have found that mild stretching and bending and MA style kicking has helped.

Backs are odd things. I've been put low by just lifting a cup of coffee to my lips, and that little episode was so horrific my work colleagues had to lay me on top of a garbage pail with wheels and wheel me out of the building. I was in physical therapy for weeks.

Good luck.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Actually there are things you cn do that will ease your back pain.
    #1, if you are overweight........loose it. Excess weight puts enormous strain on your back. When I retired from LE, I noticed immediate improvement from not having to lug around 15 extra lbs. every day.
    #2, exercise, nothing strengthens sagging weak back muscles like exercise. I try to do 50 sit ups every day as part of my routine. Side bends will quickly make those love handles disappear and that's less you have to carry.
    #3, aerobic exercise is good too. It doesn't have much to do with back strength, but it does burn up those extra pounds that cause a lot of pain and suffering. I have found bike riding to be low impact on my back and a real pound burner. Mountain bikes with thick tires and with front and rear suspension are the best. BTW, I'll be 57 in December.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

The part about the nit-wit....You just can't fix STUPID. Just my opinion.......
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I have severe ostio-artheritis between every vertebrae. I have it also in every joint to some extent. Some more and some less. I've had my right hip replaced 2 years ago and will probably get the left this winter. My fingers hurt so bad I can barely make a fist. Ditto my toes. My shoulders are starting to get real bad also. If I miss a dose of my non-steriodal anti-inflamitory I can hardly walk. I'm 67 and this has been progressing steadily for the last 25 years. My grandfather, who died in the 1950's, lived the last 15 years of his life in a wheel chair because they had no meds. or treatments in those days other than massive doses of aspirin for his OA. We both worked all our lives doing moderately hard physical labor and paid the price. Whoever said hard work never killed anybody, must never have worked hard. I could stand to lose about 60 pounds but because of the pain, I can't do any aerobic exercise and diet alone doesn't get it. Besides, I am supposed to take my meds. with food so I have to eat more often than I should. Be thankful for all the good things going on in your lives because it could be worse.

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Actually there are things you cn do that will ease your back pain.
    #1, if you are overweight........loose it. Excess weight puts enormous strain on your back. When I retired from LE, I noticed immediate improvement from not having to lug around 15 extra lbs. every day.
    #2, exercise, nothing strengthens sagging weak back muscles like exercise. I try to do 50 sit ups every day as part of my routine. Side bends will quickly make those love handles disappear and that's less you have to carry.
    #3, aerobic exercise is good too. It doesn't have much to do with back strength, but it does burn up those extra pounds that cause a lot of pain and suffering. I have found bike riding to be low impact on my back and a real pound burner. Mountain bikes with thick tires and with front and rear suspension are the best. BTW, I'll be 57 in December.
    That's real good advice, but it must be easy for you "automatic slim"! I'm not quite so automatic, seems to take me awhile to get any results. Only funnin you, don't take offense!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

My 59 year old back...

Exercise, lost weight, chiropractor, stretching, proper hydration, inversion table (helped the most), and anti inflammatory are what has helped me, herniated 2 and collapsed 3 disks in the L series and I am good to go but it took over 2 years to straighten out.

Caveat surgery is an absolute last resort and is not a guaranteed deal either...
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Got broadsided at about 50 mph by an 18 yr old running a red light with a cell phone stuck to her ear...... she then bounced off and hit a cement wall head-on... putting her head into the windshield. She was STILL TALKING on her cell phone at that point. I went over to see if she was OK, and told her.... GET OFF THE CELL PHONE .... NOW.... We actually had to point out the "traffic signal lights" to her afterwards... she never even saw any of the 8 lights facing her when she approached the intersection.

Driving 60 mph down the highway today...... some idiot pulls out "right " in front of me and is doing 10-15 mph max .... while I"m standing on the brakes. Honking my horn.... and he just ignores that anything happened at all.

When I"m next to someone talking on their cell phone and I'm on my bike... I kick it down a couple of gears as I run right next to their door/window with a much higher rpm. They get aggravated they can't talk and either hang up, or go into different lanes. Good.. I don't want them running along side me.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Get a hot tub, it can do wonders for back problems.
    There have been those days where I was in near tears getting into the hot bubbling water...felt MUCH better getting out.
    It helps a lot.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

My 24 year old back,...held by titaninum brackets and surgical procedures,..

Back pain stinks. I hope you feel better! I can suggest seeing a chiropractor? They do wonders for me.

Reading this thread brings out both sympathy and gratitude.
    Sympathy for all those with permanent or recurring back problems. I had an incident of a pinched nerve in my back about ten years ago. Very unpleasant, but relatively short induration.
    Gratitude as, having a decade or more on most of the posters, my back is strong and healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Got broadsided at about 50 mph by an 18 yr old running a red light with a cell phone stuck to her ear...... she then bounced off and hit a cement wall head-on... putting her head into the windshield. She was STILL TALKING on her cell phone at that point. I went over to see if she was OK, and told her.... GET OFF THE CELL PHONE .... NOW.... We actually had to point out the "traffic signal lights" to her afterwards... she never even saw any of the 8 lights facing her when she approached the intersection.

Driving 60 mph down the highway today...... some idiot pulls out "right " in front of me and is doing 10-15 mph max .... while I"m standing on the brakes. Honking my horn.... and he just ignores that anything happened at all.

When I"m next to someone talking on their cell phone and I'm on my bike... I kick it down a couple of gears as I run right next to their door/window with a much higher rpm. They get aggravated they can't talk and either hang up, or go into different lanes. Good.. I don't want them running along side me.
    I'll have to remember that trick, thanks.... If I only had a quarter for every time I have yelled to no one in particular "HANG UP AND DRIVE!!!"
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Hint for lower back pain:

SHOES!

Do some experimenting especially on height of heel and padding.

For example - really low heels simply kill my lower back. Higher heels as in engineer boots do the same.

For me, a coushioned sole tennis shoe is best (not necessarily expensive ones either) I put an extra coushion inside for good measure.

I have not tried the gel soles yet but might be a cheap way to less back pain.

Every person is different so do a little experimentation on what's best for you.

Good luck,

...Skye...

Yep...30+ years of weight training...dead lifts, squats, etc. I have back issues at 50 myself but these things help me keep them at bay.

The cell phone thing is becoming a huge issue. Many states already require head sets...I think more needs to be done.
    Best Regards from Minnesota,

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links