Dove hunters, post up!

Dove hunters, post up!

This is a discussion on Dove hunters, post up! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, 9/3 and most states dove seasons started. How did you guys do? Here in southern Ohio, we have had near drought like conditions, leaving ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dove hunters, post up!

Administrator

Dove hunters, post up!

Well, 9/3 and most states dove seasons started. How did you guys do? Here in southern Ohio, we have had near drought like conditions, leaving the sunflower and corn crops lacking. Dove numbers were really low this year.

To give an idea how low, I took 2 birds on the first day and five on the second... and still took the high number for the region (maybe even state, I don't know) on the controlled hunts. Daily bag limits are 15.

I guess this means quail numbers are going to stink too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Dove hunt started here on the 1st. I see a lot of doves all over... within city limits
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Administrator
    I see them all the time around town and such too. Oh well, I still got in my shootin practice for quail and pheasant.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Season starts Sat at noon. I'll be in the field most of the afternoon. We are getting some wind now, maybe left over from Earl. Dunno. But I have seen lots of bird in the last week. Hoping it's a good one.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

First opening day in the last 10 years I didn't make it out . New client at work with two days of on-site meetings with no windows in the conference rooms. About as far from the dove fields as I could get (without daydreaming, of course).

I will say I didn't miss 103 degrees for opening day this year in N Texas...
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Well, we had a great day once they got up and flying. My step dad and I limited out and left early for a change. I got there about 12:30. It was after 1 before we got in the fields. We only had a few passing birds till about 3:30. Then it went gangbusters for the rest of the day. We limited out between 3:30 and 5:30. I know several guys either limited out or were really close by the time we left. On the way out across the field we kept having to duck down so we would not turn the incoming birds out of the field. I will say that cleaning and deboneing 2 limits of doves is a bit tedious. Tasty, but tedious.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    My take this year has been meager, plus, I cheated and used my Beretta 391 in 12ga. It makes hitting the doves super easy, but it also ruins a lot of birds. I gotta bust out the 20 and 28 for the rest of the season.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My season is 2 days at the most. It's not that I don't enjoy dove hunting. But archery deer opener is next Sat. Dove season is the bang to start my season. I may get out Tue afternoon.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I love dove hunting! I've had to work all week, but I was going to do 4 days over my labor day weekend...turns out I ended up with duty on Saturday, so here I sit in the barracks instead of in the field. I'll still get 3 days in...the wife is picking me up as soon as I get off to go out to the FIL's ranch and get some meat. Probably will bag some hogs and coyotes too. Need to do a little scouting for deer methinks.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

We missed opening day but did learn that we can shoot collared doves year round! Tomorrow morning a cold front comes in as it always seems to do at the first of Sept. and runs the doves out. Consensus here is that opening day should be AUGUST 1st not September 1st! Happy hunting!!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Missed opening day this year (Sept 1) due to the nasty back problems (and IV hookup), but my friends that I hunt with told me they limited out within the first half hour! This in eastern Maricopa County... complete contrast to last year, when we left after 4 hours with unfilled bags.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I was down along the Bosque (Rio Grande floodplain) yesterday, there were a lot of Eurasian, collared doves around, but I think that the mourning doves have headed downriver toward Las Cruces already. I may take the sixteen and head down to Mesilla Valley 30 miles north of El Paso on Wednesday.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I didn't go hunting, but my girlfriends dad went on Saturday. He got 13 doves in northern AZ
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Administrator
    It sounds as if AZ is a real hotspot for wingshooting. I would have never of guessed it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Headed out Wednesday for opening day and it was one of the worst I've ever seen. Its the first time I have been skunked in a looooong time! Out of 20 of us there were only 12 birds taken.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links