Dog training ?? How do I teach my dog to...

This is a discussion on Dog training ?? How do I teach my dog to... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dog will go nuts, barking and growling and jumping, when someone knocks at the front door or rings the door bell. She goes nuts ...

Thread: Dog training ?? How do I teach my dog to...

VIP Member

Dog training ?? How do I teach my dog to...

My dog will go nuts, barking and growling and jumping, when someone knocks at the front door or rings the door bell. She goes nuts when the UPS guy drives down our street. GOOD. No problem.

I have some driveway alerts (announcers) and I would like for the dog to go nuts when she hears them too. At this point she pays no attention to that sound.

I want to teach her to respond to specific sounds (such as the driveway alert) with aggressive barking and growling.

Right now, there is NO reaction at all so there's no action to praise or reward.

Suggestions anyone?

2. Remove Ads

Well, I would jump up like someone is at the door everytime the driveway alert goes off! After awhile the dog will respond then praise him and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    My dog will go nuts, barking and growling and jumping, when someone knocks at the front door or rings the door bell. She goes nuts when the UPS guy drives down our street. GOOD. No problem.

I have some driveway alerts (announcers) and I would like for the dog to go nuts when she hears them too. At this point she pays no attention to that sound.

I want to teach her to respond to specific sounds (such as the driveway alert) with aggressive barking and growling.

Right now, there is NO reaction at all so there's no action to praise or reward.

Suggestions anyone?
    Most part of training a dog is to rule out reactions. Most of their reactions will be instinctively. To the best of my knowledge, a quiet dog can be the most aggressive dog when provoked. A dog that sounds off when you have an alarm system seems kind of redundant in a way. Fake....electronic sounds won't always trigger a natural response. It's easier to train dogs to rule out certain natural circumstances than it is to train to recognize new and unnatural circumstances. Training a dog is pretty much a one way street......you take it out of them rather than instill in them. You......as the dominant (master) have control over 'NO'....stop....or out. Granted, these may be negative responses, but that's what the dog will understand. If you wish to do formal training, that will cost you....and you'll be taking the dog out of it's environment and expecting the environment you portray to be there in the classroom at the same time. It's unrealistic. Your dog is doing it's best with what's given. Different breeds have different dispositions. In my honest opinion, you don't need to have your dog respond to something that you should be well aware of (alarm). I'd much rather have a silent but ready animal at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night........one that gets up when I go in search of strange sounds in the darkness yet remains silent. Training a dog to be aggressive and sound off could be a tactical disadvantage in some instances, and for the most part confuse the dog and cause it to be irritable and unstable. I'm just saying.

Administrator
    You need the dog to associate the driveway alarm with someone on her turf, the same way she has done herself with the doorbell. Make your doorbell sound like the driveway chime, leave them like that until you get the desired result, then switch them back.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Most part of training a dog is to rule out reactions. Most of their reactions will be instinctively. To the best of my knowledge, a quiet dog can be the most aggressive dog when provoked. A dog that sounds off when you have an alarm system seems kind of redundant in a way. Fake....electronic sounds won't always trigger a natural response. It's easier to train dogs to rule out certain natural circumstances than it is to train to recognize new and unnatural circumstances. Training a dog is pretty much a one way street......you take it out of them rather than instill in them. You......as the dominant (master) have control over 'NO'....stop....or out. Granted, these may be negative responses, but that's what the dog will understand. If you wish to do formal training, that will cost you....and you'll be taking the dog out of it's environment and expecting the environment you portray to be there in the classroom at the same time. It's unrealistic. Your dog is doing it's best with what's given. Different breeds have different dispositions. In my honest opinion, you don't need to have your dog respond to something that you should be well aware of (alarm). I'd much rather have a silent but ready animal at the foot of my bed in the middle of the night........one that gets up when I go in search of strange sounds in the darkness yet remains silent. Training a dog to be aggressive and sound off could be a tactical disadvantage in some instances, and for the most part confuse the dog and cause it to be irritable and unstable. I'm just saying.
    My barks-at-everything-dog is no guard dog.
    I put a LOT of confidence in my dog that ONLY barks at what needs barking at. If I hear a bump in the night and Dusti doesn't bark about it, I dismiss it. If I don't hear a sound and she goes off, I'm reaching for my gun!
    If your dog is smart enough to determine that the alarm is not worth barking at.....the dog is actually smarter than you are ;)
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    If your dog is smart enough to determine that the alarm is not worth barking at.....the dog is actually smarter than you are ;)
    Well that may be, and some other remarks here about the undesirability of training the dog to do that might have some merit, but neither change the fact that I have a particular goal and purpose: I want the dog to go nuts when she hears that particular sound.

Anyone know how to effectively train her to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Well that may be, and some other remarks here about the undesirability of training the dog to do that might have some merit, but neither change the fact that I have a particular goal and purpose: I want the dog to go nuts when she hears that particular sound.

Anyone know how to effectively train her to do so?
    Does it bark at anyone that comes to the front door? If so you could get someone in the neighborhood the dog doesn't know to trip the alarm and then immediately "attack" the front door. Repeat until intended effect reached?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Does it bark at anyone that comes to the front door? If so you could get someone in the neighborhood the dog doesn't know to trip the alarm and then immediately "attack" the front door. Repeat until intended effect reached?
    Yes, she barks at anyone at the front door and also at the sound of the doorbell. I've been trying to (manually) ring the alert a second before the doorbell hoping that she would associate the two. I don't think it is working. She is just learning that I am the one at the door and not responding with as much adrenaline.

By association with something that riles the dog up. Make the sound happen you want the dog to go off on and then immediatly have someone pound on the door. Encourage th dog as it responds, and then give it a treat to reward. Do this for several weeks a couple of times a day. The dog will begin to associate the drive way alarm with something to get upset about.

Links