Paid to rat on your neighbors

This is a discussion on Paid to rat on your neighbors within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Chesapeake, VA -- Tiedwater area http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/ches...s-illegal-guns Chesapeake to pay tipsters for leads on illegal guns Gun-buyback programs aim to get firearms away from criminals but ...

Thread: Paid to rat on your neighbors

VIP Member

Angry Paid to rat on your neighbors

Chesapeake, VA -- Tiedwater area

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/07/ches...s-illegal-guns

Chesapeake to pay tipsters for leads on illegal guns

Gun-buyback programs aim to get firearms away from criminals but tend to attract legal guns. Police hope to get exactly what they're looking for later this summer by tempting tipsters instead.

A new program will trade $100 cash for information about illegal guns.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Finally, a program that may actually get criminals off the street, now if only the judicial system will cooperate and keep them off.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A new program will trade $100 cash for information about illegal guns.

This part of the program is a plus...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Hey Dave,

Some of the brilliant minds here have come up with a new plan.
    The city is to pay the inter-city gang bangers for each day they show up for school.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I've always wondered about the gun-buy programs.....and if the authorities have ever recovered any of the hundreds of weapons stolen from the FBI over the years.
    Oh....that's nothing new....money talks especially now. Something I want everyone to think about though, and no intentions of offending anyone, but there's a little known back door to getting "ratted out" on your firearms. It's being elicited from your children in public schools. Questionnaires and such. 'Do your parents own guns?'. It's easy to see the many ways the system tries to elusively gather statistics through one's name or social security number. I realized this fact once again a few years ago when I was required to take a mandatory hearing test yearly by my employer. Out of ten questions on the survey, three of them asked about firearms. The survey had your name and social security number listed right at the top. Where all do you think this sort of information goes? What did I do on those forms when the questions asked about my involvement with firearms? I lied and told them to go lick dirt under the shade tree. Your children in public school won't lie when asked by the nice teacher, or an innocent looking piece of paper with specific questions. Would your neighbor lie about or say "I know this dude down the street who...." for a hundred bucks? You never know. You're already in the mix no matter how you see it. You own firearms, and you're on the map. Who's updating the map, and who's reading the map...and for what reasons is up to conjecture. What they'll do with all of this data we can't be sure. But if they're paying for it now, maybe they've refined their system of data collection. Sleep well, and sleep close to what's going to get you out of the deep hole when there's no light in the middle of the night.

Never mind that your idiot anti-gun neighbor sees your AR and decides you have illegal machine gun. Then Barney Fife comes in, knowing nothing about guns, like 90+% of LEOs, arrests you, seizes your legal semi-auto ARs and AKs and off to prison you go, as the 50-IQ average jury refuses to accept that your evil looking ARs and AKs are actually legal to own.

Of course, doing basic community policing of obvious bad guys just won't work....

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    Never mind that your idiot anti-gun neighbor sees your AR and decides you have illegal machine gun. Then Barney Fife comes in, knowing nothing about guns, like 90+% of LEOs, arrests you, seizes your legal semi-auto ARs and AKs and off to prison you go, as the 50-IQ average jury refuses to accept that your evil looking ARs and AKs are actually legal to own.

Of course, doing basic community policing of obvious bad guys just won't work....
    You know......there was a serious change in the way things go some ten years ago to my thinking. Around these parts anyhow.....and I saw this happening. Policing the community went from pro-active to reactive. I'm not really sure where to point the finger as to why this happened. maybe it was due to resources with LE, or maybe it was all the lawyers taking harassment lawsuits pro-bono. Hard to say, but that's what we're left with on the short end of the stick. Maybe that's why (some of us) are 'allowed' to carry now? Take some heat and legal issues off the gendarmes? With computers and cell phones, it's become somewhat of a remote environment. The pro-active part of community policing comes down to us now......you see, they've turned the tables on us for what they couldn't accomplish with their resources (and taxpayer's money). Things got out of control, and they paid someone to figure out how best to control things while saving money and resources at the same time. Just like the war on drugs. Where has that gone over the past ten years? Illegal immigration? Searching for our lost (abducted) children? America has gone wrong. There is no focus now. Too much time and effort (and money) is being spent hither and yon in so many different directions because there is NO focus and we've lost it. The proof is simply questioning the second amendment and taking it to the supreme court. How did this ever come about? Because we're weak as a nation. 9-11 has just passed again. Of course, most of us remember and for many reasons. Many don't care especially if it didn't impact their lives specifically. The cold, hard facts. Obviously, our nation...our society has taken turns we don't wish to see. But we let them happen by not being proactive when the time was most important for us to be. Instead of taking things head on and in the open...level, green battlefield, we've let the enemy take the hill. Now, there's nothing left but an uphill battle. I can see how anyone would be intimidated by an uphill battle (alone, and against many). We should stand and fight for our ground right here on domestic soil way more than our brothers and sisters are fighting overseas right now for our collective ideals as a nation indivisible. Why is it we can't fix things at home yet send our future (children) to fix things elsewhere in the world?
    My apologies for the rant. Deep down, I know this is what some of you all are thinking. I hope this post exists for enough time for everyone to think. We need to take back our own country, and we need to do it with common sense. A lot of our children are overseas on a mission. I'm almost sure they'd like to come home to the America they deserve and want. What do we actually have to give them when they come home? We should be ready to support them when they arrive back home more than we support them where they are now. They are doing their best.....are we?
    Copy and paste because it may disappear. But it's the truth and you can't deny it.

Lead Moderator
    The down side is that you better be nice to your neighbor. I can see a ticked off neighbor calling in your (legal) guns and making your life miserable for something like your dog pooping in his yard!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    My neighbors have no idea how many (if any) guns that I own. It's all based on 'need to know' .

Sounds like the "Witch Hunt" of the 21st Century. Regardless of the intent, it will suffer significant mission-drift and the innocent will suffer.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    My neighbors have no idea how many (if any) guns that I own. It's all based on 'need to know' .
    That's kind of the point, they don't have to know how many. I'm sure my neighbor has seen me bringing in a cased (flintlock) rifle. The police show up with a warrant.... Well!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    That's kind of the point, they don't have to know how many. I'm sure my neighbor has seen me bringing in a cased (flintlock) rifle. The police show up with a warrant.... Well!
    Actually, it is the point. My neighbors have never seen me with any firearm. There is nothing to report.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    And I thought it was only those NRA "Don't tread on my gun rights" signs that told where to find guns. Silly me!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The neighbor on one side of me is a Concealed Carry Permit guy with multiple firearms. He ain't tellin' nobody no how.

The neighbors on the other side went to the Sheriff's firearm's class to get their certificate and ultimately get their permits.

I just look real scary to the other neighbors and they sort of leave me alone.

It is a sad way our country has become, everyone wants to tell on everyone else for everything. Kind of how the Soviet Union and the KGB opperated for 70 some years.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If you think about it, is this any different from any other "Reward offered for information leading to..."?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links