Red light Cameras ruled illegal in SD court.

This is a discussion on Red light Cameras ruled illegal in SD court. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Red-Light cameras are ruled as illegal by a South Dakota Court. The city of Sioux Falls, SD initiated a photo enforcement program in 2002. The ...

Thread: Red light Cameras ruled illegal in SD court.

Red light Cameras ruled illegal in SD court.

Red-Light cameras are ruled as illegal by a South Dakota Court. The city of Sioux Falls, SD initiated a photo enforcement program in 2002. The city and Redflex Traffic Systems, the camera operator chosen to operate the program, both got a big surprise when a circuit court judge recently determined that the red-light cameras were illegal. The Sioux Falls program didn't have approval from the South Dakota Legislature. Four years ago, I.L. Weiderman got a $86 right-turn-on-red ticket. He fought the ticket and lost, appealed the case and lost again. He then filed a class action suit against the camera program claiming a) Sioux Falls imposed standards that were more strict than those imposed for traffic violations at the state level and b) the city violated defendants' due process rights by presuming guilt, thereby forcing those defendants to prove their innocence. The program was ruled illegal by Second Judicial Circuit Judge Kathleen Caldwell

I love part B. "The city violated defendants' due process rights by presuming guilt, thereby forcing those defendants to prove their innocence."

Look maybe there is a Judge who understands the law.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    Great news! I absolutely HATE Redflex. Those scum profit from the control of people as far as I'm concerned. Tennessee has a two-year moratorium on cameras; the existing ones can stay but no new ones can be installed. I forget when this rule expires.

My biggest gripe about the cameras is this: you know how you can be going through a green light and it suddenly turns yellow? It's usually no problem to just coast on through. With Redflex, if your tail end is still hanging out in the intersection slightly when the light turns red, the camera snaps and it's a ticket ($50.00 here). Most people know this so they'll suddenly slam the brakes to avoid a ticket.

In my opinion, the cameras increase the occurrences of people getting rear-ended for this reason.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good! They've started that here in a few places in FL, and I bet there's going to be some higher court action on it.

What they're doing is having an independent contractor install and monitor the systems, and then issue the citations. The city then gets a cut of the fines--the rest going to the contractor. NO POLICE ACION required. Some contractor downloads the video, issues tickets and collects money.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Our city was forced to take them down by a determined opposition. The due process issue "b" is a real one, especially if the registered owner wasn't the driver. Red light cameras are fundamentally a good idea that just doesn't quite work right or get it right.

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar
    The only good thing I can see about them is that the tickets don't go against your driving record. But still, we already have enough "Big Brother" machinations in this country.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

That's great news! They just took the speed cameras off of valley freeways last month but we still have red light cameras all over the place... probably because we were the #1(or #2 I can't remember for sure) state for red light running...

I say this is the begining of the end of red light cameras. Here is a story from my backyard.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/08/...light-cameras/

I hope he wins. Many years ago my uncle received a summoms in the mail for going thru a red light camera intersection. He also fought the summoms and explained that they was road construction and the Flagman waved him thru the intersection. Judge dismissed the summons. He funny thing is the day in question my aunt and cousin who were in the car at the time did not see such a flagman?

Weird huh?

Links