How to get cigarette smell out of used car?

This is a discussion on How to get cigarette smell out of used car? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My girl just bought a nice used car, but there is a smoke smell even after the salespeople had it detailed. I sprayed Febreeze, vacuumed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My girl just bought a nice used car, but there is a smoke smell even after the salespeople had it detailed. I sprayed Febreeze, vacuumed with my shop vac, and cleaned the inside of the windows pretty well. It's better, but not great. Any tricks, techniques, or ideas?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

VIP Member
    Leave 2 or 3 opened boxes of Arm & Hammer baking soda in the front and back seat for a coupe weeks. Repeat as necessary.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Carpet cleaner & wash all hard surfices, Had a Truck like that Tar all over it. Good Luck ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Most persistent odors like that are stuck in the headliner and also in the carpets and seats (if cloth). The headliner is delicate/fragile and difficult to clean, but can be done with some patience.

There is some stuff made that works great ... made specifically for "cigarette smoke"... however do not know the name of it right now. I had some and used it, and it works great. Now, if someone knows the name of it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Either change every piece of fabric inside it and all of the A/C duct work or set it on fire.

You will become accustomed to the smell way before you ever get rid of it.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    There is some stuff made that works great ... made specifically for "cigarette smoke"... however do not know the name of it right now. I had some and used it, and it works great. Now, if someone knows the name of it.
    This may be the product you were thinking of. http://www.topoftheline.com/cigarett...e-remover.html

Here is another link to try. http://www.howtodothings.com/home-an...ette-odor.html
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    This stuff might work. http://www.vamooseproducts.com/?gcli...FRFW2godtiiuHw

Besides baking soda, citrus peels sprinkled around and left until they start to rot is supposed to soak up the smell too.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

I bought a used car with that problem. I drove with the windows down (weather permitting) for many, many months. Worked!
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    The oder is embedded in every area of the passenger compartment. Vacuuming won't work. What I did was use rug shampoo on the carpet, seats, door panels, ceiling and all other porous surfaces. There is a furniture polish called Feed N Wax that you can apply to hard surfaces and let sit overnight. Then wash it off. It may leave the steering wheel slick, so caution. Don't forget to clean under the seats too. Spray on carpet cleaner is easiest.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    In addition to the above, you also have to clean out the heating/AC ducts.

I'm never buying a smoker's car again.

I managed a detail shop and we used an ozone generator to get the smell out. They can be rented or bring it to a detail shop and have a full interior detail done, including the ozone. The scrub down helps but the ozone generator oxidizes all of the smoke particles and they are good as gone. The one we used was for big rooms and it worked wonders on car interiors. We detailed used cars for about 6 dealerships in a fairly small town and none left smelling of smoke.
    If you can, find a detailer that uses a shampooer that heats the water in the machine, works one heck of a lot better than a cold water machine. Also, see if they put the soap on the carpets first, then scrub them, then use pure water to rinse the carpet. This lessens the residual soap on the carpets/seats and they stay cleaner longer.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

dead fish under the seat,you won't even smell any smoke
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus View Post
    I managed a detail shop and we used an ozone generator to get the smell out. They can be rented or bring it to a detail shop and have a full interior detail done, including the ozone. The scrub down helps but the ozone generator oxidizes all of the smoke particles and they are good as gone. The one we used was for big rooms and it worked wonders on car interiors. We detailed used cars for about 6 dealerships in a fairly small town and none left smelling of smoke.
    If you can, find a detailer that uses a shampooer that heats the water in the machine, works one heck of a lot better than a cold water machine. Also, see if they put the soap on the carpets first, then scrub them, then use pure water to rinse the carpet. This lessens the residual soap on the carpets/seats and they stay cleaner longer.

Ozone is the only way. Ask the detail shop if they use an enzyme carpet cleaner, if so, have them pour a little down the cowl ducts and run the AC on bi-level a while.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Also change the cabin air filter and put a couple of fabric softener sheets under the seats.
    Last edited by varob; September 20th, 2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links