FSU Student Dies of Gunshot Wound - Self Inflicted Stupidity

This is a discussion on FSU Student Dies of Gunshot Wound - Self Inflicted Stupidity within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ahh, the joys of being young and stupid, and the consequences of the same. My cousin, a paramedic here in Tallahassee, worked this scene last ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FSU Student Dies of Gunshot Wound - Self Inflicted Stupidity

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar

Ahh, the joys of being young and stupid, and the consequences of the same.

My cousin, a paramedic here in Tallahassee, worked this scene last week. Kids were drinking and acting stupid. He says some of the others told him the guy, who lost his life, was playing "mock" Russian Roulette with a Walther P22.

Details, although not necessary, was one small entry wound above the right ear. No exit wound. Brains were hemorrhaged and a lot of tissue had flowed out of the wound and onto the floor (my use of words to describe what he told me).

The young man died Saturday evening.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/103164089.html

Upated 9-19-10 at 7:00pm by Candace Sweat

Inside the home at 2414 Tupelo Terrace is where police say 20-year old Jason Keiran accidentally shot himself in the head while playing with handgun on Friday.

A spokesman from the Tallahassee Police Department says Keiran succumbed to his injuries late Saturday night and now authorities are warning adults about the dangers of handling loaded fire arms.

Ben Buckley from the FSU Police Department says, "Weapons have a lot of safety features built into them but they're only as safe as the person operating them."

Officials say Keiran was carelessly playing with the handgun and thought the safety was on.

Law enforcement officers say this tragedy should remind people to keep a short checklist handy when handling firearms.

"Never point a weapon at anything that you don't want to shoot, treat all weapons as though they were loaded, keep your finger off the trigger,and be sure of your target and whats behind your target," said Buckley.

In spite of the tragedy, some say good has come out of it, and that someone else will ultimately benefit.

A woman claiming to be Keiran's aunt posted a comment on WCTV's website that reads.

"Every organ with the exception of bones and skin have been harvested. Our loved one dies and other loved ones live."

Keiran was originally from Winter Park, Florida. Family members have not confirmed plans for funeral arrangements at this time.

We'll keep you updated as more information becomes available.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

... was playing "mock" Russian Roulette with a Walther P22.
    Ain't no such thing, with a real gun. That's an expensive way to learn one of life's simple realities: loaded guns can be lethal.

Sort of makes you wonder what goes through the minds of today's youth. I suppose bullets are one such item, if caution and thinking is tossed out the window.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't think putting a gun to your head and pulling the trigger is an accidental shooting since he intentionally did it,he just wasn't expecting the end result,Treat vevery gun as if it were loaded and keep drunk people away from them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's even more tragic when you play Russian Roulette with something other than a revolver.

Administrator
    "Every organ with the exception of bones and skin have been harvested. Our loved one dies and other loved ones live."

Well, that's one positive thing that resulted from this insanely stupid & tragic incident.

Be an Organ Donor folks. You aren't going to need your "parts" when you eventually kick the bucket.

Darwinism at it's finest!

I get so angry when I hear these kinds of stories. at what point do people stop treating a firearm like it's a toy. Now for the big question? who's gun was it?
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    INFIDELS

GM
    That was bad, very bad.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Mmmm, I'm wondering if alcohol was involved?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac00 View Post
    I get so angry when I hear these kinds of stories. at what point do people stop treating a firearm like it's a toy. Now for the big question? who's gun was it?
    The gun was one of the other kids who lived in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mmmm, I'm wondering if alcohol was involved?
    Yes. I stated in my original post that my cousin sad all the kids had been drinking. Guess it was a typical college kid party.
    I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.

Sad, and completely avoidable. Very stupid.

I have to say, though, that I am pleasantly surprised at the reaction of LEO Buckley. Rather than using the opportunity to parrot the typical anti-gun rhetoric spewed by many campus police department officials, he repeated some good reminders about the rules of gun safety and how this guy obviously failed to handle it properly. He properly placed the blame on the idiot rather than the weapon, without being insensitive. Kudos to that officer.

I'm also not sure how one plays Russian Roulette with a pistol... but, whatever.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    he played russian roulette with a semi-auto, tragic is not the word I would use
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Winter Park....that's not too far off from where I live. Point is, this kid shouldn't have had any access to weapons. Weapons safe perhaps would've been better. I don't understand why anyone would play with a gun in the first place......accidents can happen and a result a young person lost his life.

"Ok, now I'm just going to put one bullet in this magazine that holds 10, rack the slide. Chances are 1 out of 10......you first"
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post

I'm also not sure how one plays Russian Roulette with a pistol... but, whatever.
    Snap Caps in the mix maybe? I dunno . . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links