Re: 223 for deer hunting

This is a discussion on Re: 223 for deer hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Last year I started a thread asking you guys what you thought about using a 223 for deer. The response was, as I predicted, very ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: 223 for deer hunting

Re: 223 for deer hunting

Last year I started a thread asking you guys what you thought about using a 223 for deer. The response was, as I predicted, very mixed. After alt of research, I have decided this is the year. So with deer season with firearms around the corner, I have just left my reloading bench, having assembled 10 rounds of the Barnes x bullets over a near max charge of powder. I'm goin to the range tomorrow to see if these group in my AR, and then site it in. I have killed deer with just about everything from 9mms to a 356, and don't see why the 223 shouldn't do the job. Anybody else out there use the AR in 223 for deer?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Nope.

You can cut a 2 inch rope with a pen knife, but that dosent make it the best tool for the job.

There is a reason that many states ban the .223 for deer hunting.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My state allows any centerfire.

With your ability, it shouldn't be too much problem, with maybe some tracking.

You can kill a deer with a 22LR, but that does not make it a good idea.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The question was is there anyone else out there that uses 223 for deer hunting. How many naysayers here have killed a deer with it? How many have seen one shot with it? Hell, how many have evenkilled an animal of any size or hunt at all? I know I can quickly and humanely kill a deer with it, what I'm looking for are people who use it for hunting that can give me a little advice such as distance limitations ect...people with FIELD experience.

Sorry, have killed from rabbits to elk, but no deer with a .223.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Sorry, have killed from rabbits to elk, but no deer with a .223.
    Did not direct that last at you man, sorry if you took it that way.

No prob.

Not recommended.

A .223 placed properly can certainly kill a deer. The larger the animal, such as a mule deer, the further he will run. He will eventually die but you may never find him and that would be a sin. Using a bigger gun is more humane than using a smaller one not really suited for the job.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Oh brother!

Isn't it interesting how you ask a simple question, "has anyone done X", and all you get are "I wouldn't do it" and similar responses???

It's not like you are asking for moral judgements or for ways to murder the local drug dealer who got your daughter hooked. I'm sure I'm guilty myself of posting commentary in response to posts which ask a simple question, even though my (hopefully relevant) comments don't answer the question. Must just be human nature at work - everyone wants to offer an opinion.

I sure do hope you get a direct, positive answer to your question - eventually!!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    My buddies have shot a few deer with their .223 rifles. One took several does with head shots . One he did shoot the heart dropped quick enough with the bullet stopping just short of exiting the body. The Barnes X bullet should work well from the expansion performance I have seen with my 30-06. As long as you put the bullet in the correct spot you can drop deer with a .223
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    I have a friend that uses an AR exclusivley on his farm. He has killed a few dozen deer with it. I have helped him track several of them over the years. Some were lost,including the largest deer he had ever seen. He was sick over it as he had many game cam pics. Eventually he started limiting himself to head shots. That made a difference and he has lost few since then. For a rest, he uses a corner post. On the rifle he has a Leupold scope mounted on it so that he can see much better. Use the best quality and heaviest hunting bullets that you can find. Stay away from the lighter,faster bullets that tend to break up.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

mrm
    U will have no problems with it if you use the right bullets I dont hunt with an ar but I hunt with a CZ bolt action 223 and it works great.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links