Southwest to acquire Airtran!

This is a discussion on Southwest to acquire Airtran! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow, didn't see this one coming - but then again, I can't say I really follow the airline industry too much. However, my two most ...

Thread: Southwest to acquire Airtran!

Wow, didn't see this one coming - but then again, I can't say I really follow the airline industry too much. However, my two most flown airlines are Airtran and SW. I lean towards SW these days because they have free check in bags, but I like that Airtran still lets you pick and keep a real seat (no cattle call - I really want the window seat). However, there is no replacement for SW's excellent, quirky, and entertaining flight staff.

Nonetheless, I think this is good. Southwest is much more gun friendly than Airtran, and with the free checked in bags (up to two per passenger for free, I believe), no need to pay $30+ extra roundtrip just for your gun bag!

Of course it will take a little while to integrate the two airlines.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6777930.story

Southwest Airlines, the nation's biggest low-fare carrier, moved to gobble AirTran Airways in a $1.4-billion deal that positions it to take on more established giants in overseas and East Coast markets. [continued]

I'll bet Delta is going crazy with a big SW presence in Atlanta.

Air Tran is still Value Jet to me.

ATL can't handle the traffic it has now in good weather. Flights are put in ground hold waiting to go to ATL, because no gates are available.
    It's insane.

The last two times I've been to Philadelphia International (PHL), they seem to land all the plans on just a couple of runways, then make them taxi all the way around the airport. It used to be that they would have a much larger variety of runways available, that were also nearer to that airline's section in the airport. When taking, off, there's at least a 20-30 wait on the taxiway since there are usually 2-3 very long lines of plans waiting to take off from a single runway.

I don't know what's going on with those airports these days, but they're closing off a lot of things.

Was ATL always unable to handle a lot of traffic, or is it something recent?

Ya gotta look beyond the initial benefits. This airline will now be deemed "too big to fail", and when they get in trouble, there goes another government bailout.......

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post

Was ATL always unable to handle a lot of traffic, or is it something recent?
    Delta has merged with Northwest, now all Delta. Along with that, they basically shut down Cincinnati (a great airport) unless you want a CRJ.
    They got Memphis, but downgraded it, firing all the maintenance people. People are catching on that any maintenance problem in Memphis means a canceled flight.
    So......If you want Delta (and I do since I have 2 million miles on Delta) you are going to spend a lot of time in ATL. (or DTW, not a good choice in winter)
    It is very possible that with an hour layover, and your flight on time, you will miss your connection. You can land on the 5th runway, have to cross two active runways, and wait for a gate to open, then arrive at E-36 and depart from A-1, or worse T-1. Can't be done, you are screwed.

All flights oversold, the next seat may be 6 hrs later. Welcome to air travel in the new millennium. Nobody cares.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I drove round trip VA to TX two years ago. Under duress I flew to TX last month only because the car I had to drive back was already there. Screw the airlines.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Sponsored Links