Pre-Crime comes to HR...how long before firearms purchases?

This is a discussion on Pre-Crime comes to HR...how long before firearms purchases? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So this could be interesting. Granted it's probably only using standard statistical analysis methods, but how long until something like this is used for say...preventing ...

Thread: Pre-Crime comes to HR...how long before firearms purchases?

Pre-Crime comes to HR...how long before firearms purchases?

So this could be interesting. Granted it's probably only using standard statistical analysis methods, but how long until something like this is used for say...preventing firearms purchases or concealed permit validation?

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/fea...he-HR-Dept.htm

'Pre-crime' Comes to the HR Dept.
    The reports feature a visual snapshot of what kind of person you are, evaluating you in categories like "Poor Judgment," "Gangs," "Drugs and Drug Lingo" and "Demonstrating Potentially Violent Behavior." The company mines for rich nuggets of raw sewage in the form of racy photos, unguarded commentary about drugs and alcohol and much more.

The company also offers a separate Social Intelligence Monitoring service to watch the personal activity of existing employees on an ongoing basis. The service is advertised as a way to enforce company social media policies, but given that criteria are company-defined, it's not clear whether it's possible to monitor personal activity.
    Even more interesting tidbit:
    A Cambridge, Mass., company called Recorded Future, which is funded by both Google and the CIA, claims to use its "temporal analytics engine" to predict future events and activities by companies and individual people.

Like Social Intelligence, Recorded Future uses proprietary software to scan all kinds of public web sites, then use some kind of magic pixie dust to find both invisible logical linkages (as opposed to HTML hyperlinks) that lead to likely outcomes. Plug in your search criteria, and the results come in the form of surprisingly accurate future predictions.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

So... Is this just for companies?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    So... Is this just for companies?
    Nope... Check out the web page for Recorded Future...

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Holy crap... Sounds like Minority Report is slowly (or quickly, depending on how you see it) becoming a possibility.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

It's worth worrying about, if it's being taken seriously enough to provide guidance for authorities searching for potential hot spots.

How long? Whatever gives someone an "itch" about another person seems sufficient today, and there are many cases in which the mere accusation seems sufficient to result in amazingly heavy-handed involvement to "head off" feared actions by someone. If such "justification" is going to come from this new "temporal" statistical technique or something else, all it'll take is for the general consensus to be that it's a reasonable indicator sufficient to worry about.

As for blocking purchases of firearms or issuance of CHL's, it should be tougher in a state that has specific wording in the statutes about the level of worrisome circumstances that should block such things. Can't imagine how easy it would be for such things to be taken as viable in states without such specific wording. And I'm assuming most states would be lacking, in this way.

I have no problems with trails of someone's actual actions being grounds for providing evidence backing a warrant, so long as the warrants procedures are followed. That someone leaves a trail of bodies, blood, statements in writing, verbal clues or electronic, that's fine, so long as it's real and so long as the normal warrants process is adhered to. What I hate and fear is the fact that such things as this electronic snooping can be done without anyone being the wiser. All it takes for surreptitious rooting around is (a) a dishonorable "official", (b) a dishonorable company willing to provide such access without warning/notice, and (c) statutes without teeth to stomp on such people and companies engaging in such things. Been done before. It'll surely be done again.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I can see a day where something like this prevents someone from getting a job...

Say your company has an anti-2A leadership...postings on places like DC, if traceable back to a job applicant, could be used to kill your chances at being hired...

Glad I'm closer to retirement than some folks...
    VCDL Member
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
    Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJay View Post
    I can see a day where something like this prevents someone from getting a job...

Say your company has an anti-2A leadership...postings on places like DC, if traceable back to a job applicant, could be used to kill your chances at being hired...

Glad I'm closer to retirement than some folks...
    That is exactly what the original article is about. HR groups are already hiring these firms for just such purpose.

-The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    And if you already have a "less than desirable" credit report you can and may be turned down for employment. This should be illegal as well. They are judging you based on a number or a history that may have nothing to do with your character or judgement then or now.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Moderator
    Just another step toward total control of the masses.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tally XD View Post
    And if you already have a "less than desirable" credit report you can and may be turned down for employment. This should be illegal as well. They are judging you based on a number or a history that may have nothing to do with your character or judgement then or now.
    I don't know. It's a fine line for sure. I've often debated the credit issue as to how it affects jobs myself and thankfully don't have that problem yet. I can see where the employers are going with it though. Your credit rating is effectively a reflection of your honor or word.

You give your word(ie you sign the dotted line) that you will pay back a debt that you owe to a business or individual. If you repeatedly fail to make good on that agreement, your credit rating is dropped. So really what the credit rating shows is that your word...at least for a point in time(which is where I think things get tricky), is worth about as much as the piece of paper you signed your name to to get that credit or loan.

I do think however, that the way the credit rating system works needs to be ...tweaked just a bit as it seems rather easy to get dropped hard. Example being some creditors will allow or forgive a payment or two if you call and make prior arrangements, but another will have no mercy and one missed payment and they poop on your rating. I suspect there needs to be some modification to the entire credit rating system to include provisions for emergencies like natural disasters or death of the primary borrower/sole breadwinner and such that would affect ones ability to pay on time before a credit history should be used for denial of a job.

-The Mist (2007)

Links