Need some help on Floor Buffer/Scrubbers (garage)

This is a discussion on Need some help on Floor Buffer/Scrubbers (garage) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know nothing about commercial floor equipment and need some advice on cleaning RaceDeck garage floor tiles. These plastic tiles are 1' square and snap ...

Thread: Need some help on Floor Buffer/Scrubbers (garage)

Need some help on Floor Buffer/Scrubbers (garage)

I know nothing about commercial floor equipment and need some advice on cleaning RaceDeck garage floor tiles. These plastic tiles are 1' square and snap together. I've been mopping with a one foot wide sponge mop and Simple Green with so so results (plus a aching back lol). I was thinking about renting a floor machine with a nylon brush to really give the floor a good deep cleaning. Any info or suggestions on using this type equipment and cleaning solution would be appreciated.

Just under 1000 sq ft... looks clean in the pics but up close needs work.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Don’t know the answer to your question but that is one great looking garage and truck.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

^^ agreed.

Just a suggestion... have you posted over at the Garage Journal forums? They might be able to help you out more.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    ^^ agreed.

Just a suggestion... have you posted over at the Garage Journal forums? They might be able to help you out more.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/
    Thanks!

Yeah I'm a member there and posted the same question with zero replies.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=77050

Some of those garages over there make mine look like an old broken down shack

Tonight I've been cleaning the diner booths in the corner. I pulled them out and they haven't seen good cleaning in a couple years. The floor was pretty grungy (where I couldn't mop) from spilled beer, soft drinks etc. I'm using by hand, a stiff nylon brush with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green. Also cleaning the slider windows, vacuuming cob webs from under the booths and giving them a general cleaning and vinyl treatment. I was able to hand scrub around 75 ft of tile then a quick mop. The corner is pretty darn clean and my arms feel like I've been lifting weights lol. Tomorrow I'll scrub the other corner behind the bar and see how long my arms and back hold up.

2 words, pressure washer! Esp. if you can get one with heat, be careful not to use to much pressure or melt the floor...
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

I would have to brake the floor up in sections and drag them outside to pressure wash or the water will get trapped under the tiles (hollow grid) and cause mold. Plus the water seeping back up through the cracks will keep getting tracked up like momma's kitchen floor after a snowstorm

Believe me the pressure washing idea has run through my mind more than once but braking the floor down and reinstalling is quite a job!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
    I would have to brake the floor up in sections and drag them outside to pressure wash or the water will get trapped under the tiles (hollow grid) and cause mold. Plus the water seeping back up through the cracks will keep getting tracked up like momma's kitchen floor after a snowstorm

Believe me the pressure washing idea has run through my mind more than once but braking the floor down and reinstalling is quite a job!
    You don't have people for that?
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    You don't have people for that?
    It's just more work IMO plus I only ask my friends for muscle when I really need it. This is a pretty easy job except for the size of the floor. Since I've already started I may as well do it all by hand.

I have a different plan for the other corner since I don't have to move much stuff to clean under and around. The plan is to crank up some music, stack a hand full of towels, simple green and brushes on my rolling cart. Sit on the floor with a cold beer. Scrub + Chug + Scrub + Chug + Burp + Chug some more.

My goal is 75sq ft per 6pk lol

For some strange reason I looking forward to getting started!

VIP Member
    It's just more work IMO plus I only ask my friends for muscle when I really need it. This is a pretty easy job except for the size of the floor. Since I've already started I may as well do it all by hand.

I have a different plan for the other corner since I don't have to move much stuff to clean under and around. The plan is to crank up some music, stack a hand full of towels, simple green and brushes on my rolling cart. Sit on the floor with a cold beer. Scrub + Chug + Scrub + Chug + Burp + Chug some more.

My goal is 75sq ft per 6pk lol

For some strange reason I looking forward to getting started!
    A hot bucket of tri-sodium phosphate (active ingredient in Spic-an-Span) squeegee and buff, no wax or it will yellow. You have a floor drain i hope.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    A hot bucket of tri-sodium phosphate
    That sounds caustic... probably what I need though!

I'm at 136 sq ft for today plus cleaning the bar & stools.

So I scrubbed & chugged 10 beers...

That's 13.6 sq ft per beer!

I'm so proud lol

VIP Member
    That sounds caustic... probably what I need though!
    You can dilute the solution or just use Spic-an-Span. Just be careful around the woodwork.

You can also use industrial strength Pine-Sol. My house keeper prefers to clean floors on her hands and knees.
    - Zen Saying

Have you tried Gunzilla.....I couldn't resist
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Have you tried Gunzilla.....I couldn't resist
    They could be sold out from everyone here that baths in the stuff.

Did i mention, you can also use industrial strength Pine-Sol mixed with transmission fluid and lard to clean and lube your guns? Careful though, if you rub too hard, it can cause an explosion.
    - Zen Saying

Links