Random thought about the Founding Fathers

This is a discussion on Random thought about the Founding Fathers within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They were radicals in their day, and were not unanimously approved. Now they are in some ways more radical than ever. Can you imagine if ...

Thread: Random thought about the Founding Fathers

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Random thought about the Founding Fathers

They were radicals in their day, and were not unanimously approved. Now they are in some ways more radical than ever. Can you imagine if they as a group were newly elected to Congress today? Do men like this still exist in any number?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Are there 1000 such people, with the intellect, integrity, strength of character and fortitude to do the job? Imagine if 1000 were senators, representatives, judges and supporting staff, what changes could be possible.

Guessing ...

Yes, I think out of 300M there are 1000 such people, but I'd be willing to bet the vast majority wouldn't touch politics with a clean suit and a pole. At best, they'd be considered pariahs and practically outlaws, given today's sensibilities. It would be refreshing to many, but altogether scary to most. Very likely, not many would survive to a second term.

Lowering the bar quite a bit, I'd be happy enough with finding 1000 people who would simply follow the Constitution, given the benefits that could arise from just the simple refusal to allow corruption and illegal sidestepping of the spirit of the words.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

If you find em, I'll vote for em! I'd like to start all over from scratch!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

American politics does not attract the best and brightest and not because of the Platos ruler theory. Plus letís not romanticize it, itís not like the founding fathers agreed on everything, they disagreed and fought with each other to politically.

I'd love to have a time machine so I could go back in time and show our founding fathers how there creation turned out.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHassin View Post
    Plus let’s not romanticize it, it’s not like the founding fathers agreed on everything, they disagreed and fought with each other to politically.
    To me, the only thing "romantic" regarding the Founders' initial task is how high they aimed. Today, the aim is both disturbingly low and terrifyingly off-mark.

As a possible method for moving in the right direction, try this. I'd like to see each of my reps/senators simply get back to one single founding principle a term ... to stick to it, to pursue it and to break down all barriers to achieve it. Yes, there's the normal daily grind. But if all 500+ of them (in the House and Senate) did this, casting pure political crap to the winds, we'd begin to turn this behemoth in the right direction. One principle, just one per elected person. With an honorable and dedicated push to get done what had to be done with that one principle. With all 500+ of them ganging up on a handful of principles in this way, the "daily grind" and mess would be shoved aside for much deeper thinking and more basic, powerful steps. So long as the politics remains 95% of everything most of them do, it'll never happen. But it could be as easy as this to push high-mindedness and principled representation back to the front burner, of only they would try.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    They were radicals in their day, and were not unanimously approved. Now they are in some ways more radical than ever. Can you imagine if they as a group were newly elected to Congress today? Do men like this still exist in any number?
    The founding fathers were by no means radicals in their day so-to-speak. They just had the ideals and intuitions that would make America great. Whether granted to them by the hand of God or their own morals.....these men had an insight that none of us could attempt to explain to this day. Now? They are all dead and gone. Can't even think of them radical any more since they don't exist anymore. You can only be a radical while living. Radical thinking is radical thinking, and that has no definition of time. Radical thinking generally goes against the status quo...or so we are told...whatever that means (bucking the system?). If "radical thinking" is what made America, then I think it was the right thing to do! Got us out of British tyranny and made a name for ourselves. All due to a few good men with (insight)....and many thousands of others that shed their blood for the same beliefs. That my friend is power.....power of the people and for the people! "Radicals" is a now term....should never be related in any way to our forefathers of this great country. Radical came about with the pacifists and those whom never drove a wagon train over the Mississippi. Ask yourself why this country exists. It's not due to your influence now. Maybe your family? Who actually built America? You know...we seldom see the word 'America' these days. It's commonly known as the United States of America. How did this happen? Lawyers and other red tape obviously. YOU want to term the founding fathers as "radicals"? What are we as a country to this day, and how will we be defined?
    I can't imagine a leadership such as that elected to congress this day. To my reckoning there are no such men left on this earth. Nobody has the guts any more. The purpose and the means have long past apparently. Can we ever get back to where we were? Anything's possible. But looking at the current situation...........likely not. 200+ years is relatively a short time compared to the time line of human existence. I personally feel the past 200 years are the most important in our existence upon this earth. Where we go from here depends so much on our ancestors and what they have done. Let us never loose sight of those whom have gone before us and made a road. Viet Nam was only 30+years ago and it appears most have forgotten (all but the vets). 9-11 seems to get remembered less and less each and every year. They didn't make it a national holiday like July the 4th which has so....been removed from the true meaning and remembrance it should be. We as a nation are too pre-occupied with our own frivolous ordeals rather than focusing on who we are and who we need to be as a nation.
    Do men like this still exist to this day you ask? Why do you ask? One of them should be you....and the other is me. I work best alone, but I welcome others as part of a team. Don't question your nation's forefathers.......take up where they left off.

VIP Member
    The one thing they apparently didn't foresee, the rise of partisan politics.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If you find em, I'll vote for em! I'd like to start all over from scratch!
    I agree!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    At complete and utter cost of getting any portion of the job done to any degree of good outcome, at least in terms of the core/founding principles? I agree. It has quite literally become the raison d'Ítre for so many of them: simply fighting to get reelected next time, instead of doing an honorable and effective job this time.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    The founding fathers were by no means radicals in their day so-to-speak. They just had the ideals and intuitions that would make America great. Whether granted to them by the hand of God or their own morals.....these men had an insight that none of us could attempt to explain to this day. Now? They are all dead and gone. Can't even think of them radical any more since they don't exist anymore. You can only be a radical while living. Radical thinking is radical thinking, and that has no definition of time. Radical thinking generally goes against the status quo...or so we are told...whatever that means (bucking the system?). If "radical thinking" is what made America, then I think it was the right thing to do! Got us out of British tyranny and made a name for ourselves. All due to a few good men with (insight)....and many thousands of others that shed their blood for the same beliefs. That my friend is power.....power of the people and for the people! "Radicals" is a now term....should never be related in any way to our forefathers of this great country. Radical came about with the pacifists and those whom never drove a wagon train over the Mississippi. Ask yourself why this country exists. It's not due to your influence now. Maybe your family? Who actually built America? You know...we seldom see the word 'America' these days. It's commonly known as the United States of America. How did this happen? Lawyers and other red tape obviously. YOU want to term the founding fathers as "radicals"? What are we as a country to this day, and how will we be defined?
    I can't imagine a leadership such as that elected to congress this day. To my reckoning there are no such men left on this earth. Nobody has the guts any more. The purpose and the means have long past apparently. Can we ever get back to where we were? Anything's possible. But looking at the current situation...........likely not. 200+ years is relatively a short time compared to the time line of human existence. I personally feel the past 200 years are the most important in our existence upon this earth. Where we go from here depends so much on our ancestors and what they have done. Let us never loose sight of those whom have gone before us and made a road. Viet Nam was only 30+years ago and it appears most have forgotten (all but the vets). 9-11 seems to get remembered less and less each and every year. They didn't make it a national holiday like July the 4th which has so....been removed from the true meaning and remembrance it should be. We as a nation are too pre-occupied with our own frivolous ordeals rather than focusing on who we are and who we need to be as a nation.
    Do men like this still exist to this day you ask? Why do you ask? One of them should be you....and the other is me. I work best alone, but I welcome others as part of a team. Don't question your nation's forefathers.......take up where they left off.
    Well said!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    At complete and utter cost of getting any portion of the job done to any degree of good outcome, at least in terms of the core/founding principles? I agree. It has quite literally become the raison d'Ítre for so many of them: simply fighting to get reelected next time, instead of doing an honorable and effective job this time.
    In short, at least at this point in our history, it ain't working.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think they did forsee it to some degree. I think that's why they included so many checks and balances lest one branch or group become too strong. What I think those Godly men couldn't possibly forsee was a country utterly bankrupt of character and morality. I think that they expected (for the most part) honorable people to hold elected offices, not dirtbags, liars and thieves.

Greed, entitlement and selfishness will be our downfall unless we can really make some big changes in Nov.

ETA: Two words; TERM LIMITS!!!
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Ram Rod VERY well said !!

Links