Student Debate at school "Pro Concealed Carry Side" Help with ideas

This is a discussion on Student Debate at school "Pro Concealed Carry Side" Help with ideas within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I had a parent approach me today for their kid to interview me for a school debate. He has taken the Pro Concealed Carry side ...

Thread: Student Debate at school "Pro Concealed Carry Side" Help with ideas

Student Debate at school "Pro Concealed Carry Side" Help with ideas

I had a parent approach me today for their kid to interview me for a school debate. He has taken the Pro Concealed Carry side of the debate. I've known the kids father for about 20 years. I'm licensed to teach concealed carry. If any one can help with some ideas? One idea I had was to construct a poll??? I would really like info on statics where criminals have commited crimes against people who carry and those who don't. I heard of a pole where questions were asked of criminals like, "If you knew someone had a firearm would you rob them?", "If you were sure they didn't have a firearm would you?", "If the person might have a weapon, would you?". Any articles where concealed carry help someone out of a situation. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by ccroom; October 5th, 2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: spelling
    "You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." - Admiral Yamamoto

2. Remove Ads

Not to be disrespectful, but the word you're looking for is "poll". No offense intended.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    John Stossel did a report on carrying firearms that included interviews with violent felons (if I recall correctly). In that report I think he references a study showing that criminals are more afraid of armed civilians than they are of the police.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    John Stossel did a report on carrying firearms that included interviews with violent felons (if I recall correctly). In that report I think he references a study showing that criminals are more afraid of armed civilians than they are of the police.
    Correct, the clip is available on Youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuJh3coZuSg

It's actually a pretty good video.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

The LEO who gave instruction for my concealed permit used the following analogy that people could relate to...

He asked the class a question....If you were a BG looking to rob people and you went to a mall where no one had a gun how long would it take you to select a victim to rob? What if you went to a mall where 75% of the people had a gun how long would it take you to find someone to rob? Which mall would you pick to rob?
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    John Lott writes quite often on self-defense/concealed carry. His articles would definitely help. I think he also wrote a book.

Gary Kleck is another good author for CC research. Here are a few to get you started.

http://www.guncite.com/gcwhoGK.html

http://www.pulpless.com/gunclock/kleck2.html
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I did a speech on this, and gun control in general, a few years ago. I found that if you search the NRA site, you can find statistics as reported by the FBI pertaining to crime and guns. I found that in both US states and countries outside the US, in places where guns were illegal, crime was significantly higher than places were civilians were permitted to have firearms.

One thing I would stress is to be tactful. Consider the audience: in a school setting, the majority of the faculty will be pro gun-control. I gave my speech in front of a college class with a very liberal professor and found the best strategy was to use facts as much as possible and be as non-threatening and even-tempered (for lack of a better word) as possible.

Some of the arguments from the professor and class were utterly ridiculous - ie: I stated something along the lines of "if everyone carried a gun, crime rates would go down." The professor chimed in and said, "if you can say that, I can say everyone should learn karate" - but the trick is to stay calm and respond back logically - "how many times have you heard of a mugger coming up in a dark ally and screaming 'HII YA!'?" OK ok..... maybe that wasn't logical, but it got a laugh out of the class

Links