Pellet guns

This is a discussion on Pellet guns within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I bought a pellet gun a couple months ago and recorded my first kill today Here's the situation. I built myself a nice shed a ...

Thread: Pellet guns

Distinguished Member Array PAcanis's Avatar

Pellet guns

I bought a pellet gun a couple months ago and recorded my first kill today Here's the situation.
    I built myself a nice shed a few years back, I call it my toy box, since I keep a couple of my favorite "toys" in it. Someday I hope to build a garage, but that's not in the near future yet. Anyway, my shed received some serious squirrel damage to the trim around the doors. I'm not sure why now, after all this time, but the trim was eaten enough to expose the narrow opening between door and frame and I was getting nervous that whatever it was would get inside and do some damage to my bike or ATV. It was those pesky red squirrels. First I tried peanut butter and poison. It was up high and I wasn't worried about a stray dog or cat getting at it. That reamined untouched and they started eating through a new spot. Out came the 410 Saiga with laser sight. I got the actual offender plus a few more, but realized I needed to keep these things in check and teach them they better stick to hanging out in the back if they wanted to live.

Now, I live in the country, but there are houses 200-300 yds away. And there aren't any gun restrictions here. A couple of my neighbors and I regularly shoot at something, or unload a few clips practicing, but that doesn't mean I wanted to be blasting squirrels with a shotgun at 5:30 in the morning either. Not every day anyway, lol. So I started looking into pellet guns.
    For anyone that hasn't checked out pellet guns recently, they have come a long way. I picked up a rifle complete with a decent scope, changed out the trigger like recommended, and was regularly putting 22 cal pellets within a quarter at 35 yards with only the forestock steadied. And it's fun! I can plink for an hour off the back porch and not attract any attention. And take care of rodents a little more steathily The power they have now is a heckuva lot more than I remember in my youth.

Just thought I'd ramble a little this morning. For anyone like me who has ignored these toys of our youth, they ain't toys anymore.

2. Remove Ads

Also a tube fed bolt action (or lever action) .22 with subsonics (cb caps) won't attract any attention either.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Those are nice, too. A lot more expensive than lead pellets for just plinking, but they'll get the job done.

Administrator
    I'm an air rifle fan myself. I've been squirrel hunting with my Sheridan since I was about 11. It presents unique challenges to a hunt, yet they still kill humanly. They really can't be beat for pest control either.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The most accurate gun I own, bar none, is my Beeman R9 in .177.

It's actually a bit too much for my tiny yard here in the Phoenix 'burbs, but I solved a neighborhood pigeon problem shortly after I got it. With my neighbor's encouragement, I would shoot pigeons off his roof. At a range of maybe 20 yards tops, if I nailed the bird in the breast the pellet would blow right through him. He'd take one or two wing flaps, then fall over, stone dead.

Once the birds got the message about my neighbor's roof, they congregated on a rooftop across the street. This called for some careful sniping from inside a bedroom, so the gun barrel wasn't visible from outside - don't want to alarm the sheep. This was a longer shot, about 65 yards, which required some thought and careful shooting, but I got 3 birds (one per day for 3 days) cleanly with no misses. The birds have disappeared for over 3 years now.

Airgunning is a marvelous way to keep the shooting skills honed cheaply, and for controlling small pests they can't be beat.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Mine is a Benjamin Trail NP (nitro piston). Good reviews for not a whole lotta money.

Great story Smitty about keeping the barrel inside the window ;^)

VIP Member
    I am looking for a pellet rifle now. What did the setup cost, and what is the make?

I got mine here http://www.pyramydair.com/ The model and make is in my post above yours. I think it was $229.
    Be prepared to spend some time on that site. Lottsa cool air guns available now.

I have a couple of places to recommend; both take a lot of pride in customer satisfaction and are more than willing to talk to you to guide you in your purchase (Caliber choice, power level, all that stuff.)

http://www.straightshooters.com/

http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Pellet rifles have definitely come a long way since the days of our youth. I've seen some nice ones going for the price of some bolt action center fires. $400-$500! Had a nice Chinese lever cock that would do around 900fps that I bought for $89.95 several years ago. Unfortunately it got left with the ex-GF (but I could see the need). Sort of with I still had it.....many pesky birds or squirrels went down with that one. Better than bird shot in the 22lr for the rodents. 5:30am isn't exactly light enough to see by in these here parts now, but our neighbors wouldn't think anything of a .410 or .22 shot sounding off at any time of day or night. Gun country here, and not many days go by without hearing shots fired. Squirrels? I'd need to down at least five of them to feed myself, and another one for the wife to cook them up. I seldom see that many in a day now since I'd run them away from the bird feeders earlier this year in the front yard tree.
    We just got a new Academy Sports store relatively local (26 miles away), and seen some good deals for pellet rifles in the Sunday newspaper ads. A good pellet rifle does have a place in the rural arsenal, and maybe even more so in the suburban tactical shooter's box for sure. Lead sub-sonics can still dot he trick without much alarm. Just always be sure of your backstop and what's beyond.

http://www.airforceairguns.com/talonss.html These guys have some trick air guns I was looking for the one I saw in this months NRA mag and came across these guys. 500 is a bet much, The one I saw in the mag was orange and had an attaching air tank
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. -- Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Although not used since 1998, I still have my Crosman Model 357 Six (6" barrel/435 FPS muzzle velocity) and " 357 Eight (8" barrel/475 FPS muzzle velocity) CO2 pellet revolvers, both in .177 caliber. They are both look-alikes of the famous Colt Python 357 Magnum revolver.

I had a Gamo that i bagged a crow with. Man years ago I had a Chinese made air rifle that I lent out and finally gave away. Its count was several pigeons, several squirrels and a raccoon. I never had any luck with it but others did.

Links