Lack of awareness (amusing video)

This is a discussion on Lack of awareness (amusing video) within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.wimp.com/personswapping/ Video showing lack of awareness....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of awareness (amusing video)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Lack of awareness (amusing video)

http://www.wimp.com/personswapping/

Video showing lack of awareness.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

2. Remove Ads

And people wonder how muggers sneak up on them.

Wow, only 2 (that they showed) figured it out. The changing of races and gender really surprised me.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Wow
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    This is a demonstration of something that has self-defense implications. What Darren Brown is playing with here is a phenomenon called a "script." There is a set format for how a person asks for directions and how a person responds to such an entreaty. What's important to both parties is staying focused on that task.

Changing one of the actors doesn't change the task. However, take the example of Darren asking how to get to Piccadilly Circus. If the new actor had changed the location of the target destination, the "victim" would have caught on immediately because the task would have changed. This is not about SA at all. In a similar manner, certain kinds of crimes have scripts as well, and knowing that is information you can employ to your advantage.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

An interesting perspective, which I do not totally agree with. I would suggest that it is about SA, in that one of the principles of SA is that the focus on a specific task should not be to the exclusion of all else.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    ...so you're saying that situational awareness should keep on going even if you've been handed a script, yes?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

I'm not sure about the "handed" part of your question, but basically, yes.

so you're saying that situational awareness should keep on going even if you've been handed a script, yes?
    You guys are circling around the bulls eye. To break it down further, let's look at what's important in this script - technically, in my field, this is called a "speech act." The person being engaged by Darren doesn't need to see his face or notice anything about his appearance except for the initial approach. What is 100-percent critical is that his voice, dress, manner, stance, and way of holding the map and the precise words he uses are completely consistent with a person asking for directions.

All of those things are essential to the performance of the speech act, and if any of them ring false or violate the correct pattern, the act will fail to execute. So he does all those things right. The person approached makes several assumptions: 1. This is a stranger unfamiliar with the area; 2. After the script, the person will depart; 3. The person is in trouble and needs assistance.

Therefore, noticing his or her face or appearance is irrelevant and unnecessary to the task. However, do note how the person stands - body away from Darren and only leaning in from the side. This is defensive posturing and it very much does show good SA. People do that instinctively. They all try to stand to his side or even slightly behind him, to look over his shoulder at the map - again, defensive posture. A random encounter with a stranger isn't anything to freak out about, but one still keeps distance and SA.

Monitoring how the person is standing and behaving, what other people on the street are doing, and completing the task require some concentration, and that tends to circumvent taking a careful physical inventory of the person's appearance. Darren knows this, of course, because he earns a living by exploiting these things. I've watched quite a few of his videos, as he is a master of human psychology and extremely skilled.

Seems like something a team of pick pocketers could take advantage of.
    The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lost stranger or not, nobody gets that close to me without getting a visual scan and ongoing monitoring. In the middle of completing that task, I might miss a switch of someone of similar appearance, but male to female, white to black, come on!

It IS about SA. Someone aware would immediately recoil from getting switched. Don't keep your head down once you 'feel' that the stranger is not a threat. That's how people get killed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

GM
    WOW, that was something!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Seems like something a team of pick pocketers could take advantage of.
    In many cases, that's exactly how pocket picks operate. In teams, one initiates a distraction and the other commits the crime. The bump, the jostle, the spilling of something - there are many traditional approaches that work very well and have been honed to perfection over centuries.

VIP Member
    I’m usually very perceptive to my surroundings and I actually watch people in public just to see how they behave and overlook potential danger. Still, I believe the analysis by ‘shockwave’ is accurate and represents how most people would react. Had I not seen this video, I may well not have learned a valuable lesson.

“All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players”
    - William Shakespeare
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    The distraction is key for pickpockets. I thwarted an attempt by a small gang of 3 one time simply by recognizing the distraction, ignoring it, and aggressively facing the other two.

I, Mrs. Hopyard, and my BIL, were in a crowded shopping area consisting of many small shops near downtown Surfer's Paradise in Queensland, AU. We were looking at at some greeting cards when someone quickly stepped right up to my poor BIL and deliberately sneezed in his face.

I think the intent was that I, my wife and BIL would focus on that instead of possibly them lifting my wallet, snatching my wife's purse.

Instead of immediately coming to my BIL's aid I turned 180 and faced the two accomplices. They all slinked off without so much as an apology.

Had I not turned and instead reached for and handkerchief to help my BIL, or gotten angrily engaged with the dude who did the sneezing, the two accomplices would surely have gotten stuff from either me pants pocket or my wife's purse.

I was actually a bit surprised they all gave up so quickly. They could have, and probably did have, knives. We could have been sliced and they could have been gone, before anyone in the crowd noticed.

Still, by facing the two accomplices and moving in on them with a "don't you dare" expression on my face, I busted their plans.

SA is good, but it is tough to maintain in crowded places. You need to be prepared to recognize when an attack is about to happen or is on; and that is slightly different from simply being aware of your surroundings.

With regard to this video I think (I would like to think) that I would not fall for the deception because I assume that anyone approaching me might be up to no good. My reaction to being shown the map would be to look behind myself and to the sides before looking at the map. My reaction to being jostled would be to check my rear. I wouldn't expect the switcheroo, but I'd be focusing on those to my side and behind me and ignoring the man with the map. I'd also view the folks with the picture going between as a very ominous indications that something was going down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links