Rogue cow/ free steak

This is a discussion on Rogue cow/ free steak within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, had an interesting morning. Im up drinking coffee at about 6:30 when my neighbor stops by. He has a cow on the loose that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rogue cow/ free steak

Rogue cow/ free steak

Well, had an interesting morning. Im up drinking coffee at about 6:30 when my neighbor stops by. He has a cow on the loose that he cant catch, and is afraid its gonna get in the road and cause an accident. So, I saddled up the Bell, grabbed my 41 mag BH, got my hat and went to help. Me and several other guys chased this thing for a few hours thru wooded areas, and it finally went into some thickets in real rugged terrain where the guys who had 4 wheelers couldnt go. I could not get close enough to put a rope on it, Bell was getting tired of all this fuss over a lowly cow, and the owner had enough. He asked me if I could just shoot the damn thing. I told Elmer I would try, but was concerned about the load I was carryin doin the job. It was 7.5 grn of unique under a 215 hardcast bullet. So I got within about 50 yards, tied Bell to a tree, and stalked to within about 30 yards. Took a rest off a sapling, aimed for the shoulder and squeezed one off. The thing jumped off the ground, made it about 10 yards and piled up. I ran up to get closer and it was still alive and trying to get up, so being only about 15 yards away, I put one in her head and sealed the deal.

Elmer was happy that he didnt have to worry about getting sued by a motorist, and he said I could have all the meat. Problem is, I have to go bone out what I can on the ground, cause there aint no way to get a tractor in there. So I am missing church today, but noone will complain when I have enough meat to supply our cookouts.

It looks like my shoulder shot broke the heavy bone and made its way to something vital, as the cow was pretty much anchored with the first shot and would have probably died right there. I dont know if it completely penetrated cause its to heavy to roll over. Anyway, Im off to fill my freezer.

2. Remove Ads

:Update: Elmer just called and said if I didnt mind, there are some people down the road hard on their luck he would like to give it to. He is going to give me a side of beef from a steer he has at the butcher shop. So, its a win-win deal for everyone, and I dont have to get my hands dirty.

Sometimes doing a good deed does go unpunished and is rewarded.

Senior Moderator
    Sometimes doing a good deed does go unpunished and is rewarded.

aint that the truth...
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Good deed. Good for Elmer giving the meat to those who truly need it. Good for you for agreeing to that.

Chow down. Have a great day. You missed Church but you did G-ds work feeding the hungry. Sounds more than even to me.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Don't forget to save me a burger.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Around here, if you want to keep a cow out, it's your responsibility to keep it fenced out. The rancher has no obligation to keep his cows in.

If you are driving, and you hit a cow, you are responsible for the cost of the cow, and the calves it could have been expected to produce. Since the railroads won't fence their rail lines, a crafty rancher can get rich letting his cows be hit by the train.

God Bless the west.

Biker
    Last edited by BikerRN; October 11th, 2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: typo

No 10-54 huh?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Around here, if you want to keep a cow out, it's your responsibility to keep it fenced out. The rancher has no obligation to keep his cows in.

If you are driving, and you hit a cow, you are responsible for the cost of the cow, and the calves it could have been expected to produce. Since the railroads won't fence their rail lines, a crafty rancher can get rich letting his cows be hit by the train.

God Bless the west.

Biker
    I know I'm getting a bit off topic here, but how the double hockey sticks does that calve thing pass muster? How can one be responsible for something that does not exist? The same logic could be applied to humans in such case. Example: Driver plows over walker crossing the road in the dark after hours. Now driver is charged with not only manslaughter of the walker, but infinite murder of his/her potential offspring that do not exist yet.

I understand the farmers want to keep their herd, but unless that hunk of meat is already carrying another little one, I don't see how that law passed muster. It's just fouled up from all sides. Seems like the "west" isn't much different from the east...block countries...these days.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    'Great story Glockman. A buddy of mine is going to buy a cow this week that he intends to butcher. My son asked if we could go 'pet it' when he brings it home. I simply explained "We don't pet food, son". I assure you, that boy will be happy to see parts of that cow on our grill.

Now if I can only bring home some venison...

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    I know I'm getting a bit off topic here, but how the double hockey sticks does that calve thing pass muster? How can one be responsible for something that does not exist? The same logic could be applied to humans in such case. Example: Driver plows over walker crossing the road in the dark after hours. Now driver is charged with not only manslaughter of the walker, but infinite murder of his/her potential offspring that do not exist yet.

I understand the farmers want to keep their herd, but unless that hunk of meat is already carrying another little one, I don't see how that law passed muster. It's just fouled up from all sides. Seems like the "west" isn't much different from the east...block countries...these days.
    It's about the lost income that the cow would have produced if you hadn't killed it. The offspring of humans aren't "property" and they aren't lost income.
    I don't know if it's a "law" per se, but it's what you can SUE for and be awarded for. It probably came about back in the day when people's livelyhood did depend on each animal's offspring, and given that it would take about 4 years to grow out another heifer to production age, that's a considerable loss of income during that time frame.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Good deed. Good for Elmer giving the meat to those who truly need it. Good for you for agreeing to that.

Chow down. Have a great day. You missed Church but you did G-ds work feeding the hungry. Sounds more than even to me.

^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

That s exactly along the lines I was thinkin'

Ya done more than fine, you and Elmer.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    It's about the lost income that the cow would have produced if you hadn't killed it. The offspring of humans aren't "property" and they aren't lost income.
    I don't know if it's a "law" per se, but it's what you can SUE for and be awarded for. It probably came about back in the day when people's livelyhood did depend on each animal's offspring, and given that it would take about 4 years to grow out another heifer to production age, that's a considerable loss of income during that time frame.
    It still doesn't make sense. If you pay to replace the dead cow, the newly paid for cow will now replace the offspring as well.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Sounds like maybe a power greater than us put that cow in a position to where a family that really needed some food was rewarded with a buncha beef
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Great story!!!!
    To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links