Suggestions on how to get a cat into a carrier

This is a discussion on Suggestions on how to get a cat into a carrier within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was thinking about putting this in the Defensive Knives section as the uncooperative cat carries an array of edged weapons that he conceals quite ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to get a cat into a carrier

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Suggestions on how to get a cat into a carrier

I was thinking about putting this in the Defensive Knives section as the uncooperative cat carries an array of edged weapons that he conceals quite well.

He has made it quite clear that he does NOT want to go into the carrier (and ultimately to the vet). I am not anxious to get cut. Tried a towel and that didn't work so well. I am open to suggestions.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Heavy leather gloves.

Or, a shotgun and a mop.

Depends on the levels of resistance and tolerance.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Some type of toy, treat, etc that he likes tied to a string. Place the toy in the carrier with the string going through the bars out to the rear. Jiggle the toy and see if he will go for it.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Some type of toy, treat, etc that he likes tied to a string. Place the toy in the carrier with the string going through the bars out to the rear. Jiggle the toy and see if he will go for it.
    He is wise to that one. Won't get within 10 ft. of the carrier. He knows.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Theres this lady that goes jogging past my office from time to time with a cat in a rolling cage. She looks rediculous....like a caged stroller or something. I have no suggestions, just made me think of her. I'll ask her how she does it next time.

I too, like MattinFla, was going to suggest the shotgun and mop method. Or a qualude (sp?) and peanut butter.

VIP Member
    Can your Vet give you a tranquilizer for the cat so you can handle the cat?

Capture napping cat in pillow case. Put pillow case in carrier. Turn upside down. Dump cat in carrier while removing pillow case. Cuss cat.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Senior Moderator
    Taser?
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Capture napping cat in pillow case. Put pillow case in carrier. Turn upside down. Dump cat in carrier while removing pillow case.
    ^^^
    This. I've got one cat that will happily enter a carrier. The other one wants to be the protagonist in a Loony Toons film, where I'm the Bad Guy.

Eventually, the pillow case trick turned out to be the winner technique. Works like a charm. Come up behind cat (under no circumstances allow cat to see pillow case). Crouch or kneel down, and in a single fluid movement snap pillow case over cat. Working quickly, move to carrier - which should be standing on end, door upward and open - and drop pillow-case-with-cat into the carrier. Close door, move carrier back to normal orientation.

The cat will exit the pillow case inside the carrier just fine without assistance. This technique works with a cat so wily and devilish, so canny and high-strung, that the towel trick failed 100-percent of the time, so I know that this method is effective.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

the pillowcase idea is a good one
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I was thinking about putting this in the Defensive Knives section as the uncooperative cat carries an array of edged weapons that he conceals quite well.

He has made it quite clear that he does NOT want to go into the carrier (and ultimately to the vet). I am not anxious to get cut. Tried a towel and that didn't work so well. I am open to suggestions.
    Ever thrown a football? Recreate that with the cat. The carrier is the wide receiver. honestly though, I was going to suggest the towel. Make a kitty burrito, insert into cage, stand cage on end so that the door faces the ceiling. Remove towel quickly but gently and evacuate your hand post haste. Good luck!
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Blow dart!!

VIP Member
    If the cat is seriously conditioned against the carrier, I think it'll take a long time to undo his behavior, if you can ever undo it. In the long-run, you might try leaving the cat carrier in the same room where the cat food is, then weekly move it closer and closer to the carrier. You might even be able to begin putting the food dish inside the carrier, especially cat treats he might like. I think this would work well for cats who are fed a couple times a day when they are somewhat hungry.

In the short run, wrap the cat in a heavy towel, with his head exposed and aim him toward the open carrier while letting him loosen himself out of the wrapped beach towel and wiggle right on in the carrier.

Here's the way I get all three of ours in the carrier (once a year/cat for their shots). I quietly bring the carrier in the house and set it on the floor with the door opened and carrier standing on end facing straight up. I then go and find the unsuspecting/sleeping cat, pick him up and calmly bring him toward the carrier, without letting him see it. Once there, I let him down, back feet first right inside the up-turned carrier. Close door just as the cat realizes he got fooled again.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Well, it's favorite toy, meat, pepper spray, or catnip. Truth be known.....don't be afraid of the claws. Hold him/her by the scruff of the neck and shove them into the carrier. cats are not like dogs....dogs can be fooled more than cats (I kind of relate this as males vs females in the human breeds....LOL!). Make the carrier more of a home away from home next time. Leave the door opened in the house and put a blanket inside or something the cat is fond of. It will go in and out of the carrier with no worries. Once the carrier is associated specifically with a trip to the vet, then it's a battle. If the carrier only appears (out of the garage, or storage) when it's time for kitty to go to the vet....then it will always associate the carrier as something bad. Leave it in the house somewhere where the cat can tame it all on it's own. Good luck.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    ^^^
    This. I've got one cat that will happily enter a carrier. The other one wants to be the protagonist in a Loony Toons film, where I'm the Bad Guy.

Eventually, the pillow case trick turned out to be the winner technique. Works like a charm. Come up behind cat (under no circumstances allow cat to see pillow case). Crouch or kneel down, and in a single fluid movement snap pillow case over cat. Working quickly, move to carrier - which should be standing on end, door upward and open - and drop pillow-case-with-cat into the carrier. Close door, move carrier back to normal orientation.

The cat will exit the pillow case inside the carrier just fine without assistance. This technique works with a cat so wily and devilish, so canny and high-strung, that the towel trick failed 100-percent of the time, so I know that this method is effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    the pillowcase idea is a good one

^^^THESE sound ^^^^^^^^

Rather plausable!!

If it doesn't work, try a large dog.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links