Miners

Miners

This is a discussion on Miners within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; They are on their way up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miners

Smile Miners

They are on their way up

I wonder what they wanted with shoe polish.

they look to be in very good spirits :)
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Saw the first one come up late last night, I'm happy for them. They certainly kept their heads in one of the worst situations. It baffles me why they keep sending people back down, I'm sure they are being overly cautious but I wouldn't want to risk anymore lives than they have to. Puzzles me why it takes so long to get the capsule headed back down the hole?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Making good progress, announced on the news this morning they have been able to speed up the rescue from one every hour to one every 45 minutes.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    Saw the first one come up late last night, I'm happy for them. They certainly kept their heads in one of the worst situations. It baffles me why they keep sending people back down, I'm sure they are being overly cautious but I wouldn't want to risk anymore lives than they have to. Puzzles me why it takes so long to get the capsule headed back down the hole?
    Agreed. It was the slowest of slow. It seemed at times to be a political event.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

they want to raise and lower as slowly as possible to minimize stress not only on the capsule and cable but the miners because of the pressure differentials and the lack of light down there. they want to bring them up as slowly.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member
    If they are worried about decompression, I am surprised that they are not administering oxygen when they get up. (as you would with a stricken diver)

Good news though, a miracle really.

VIP Member
    I don't really see the issue here on decompression. We are only talking about a couple thousand feet and there really isn't much pressure difference. We all go through more than that when we fly in planes which decompress to about the equivalent of 7-8000 feet.

You wouldn't worry about decompression if you drove your car from sea level to a plateau at 2000 feet. When you fly in a small unpressurized plane you easily can reach two thousand feet in 4-5 minutes; ascending at 500 ft per minute.

There may be great reasons for bringing these folks up slowly, but decompression isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    they want to raise and lower as slowly as possible to minimize stress not only on the capsule and cable but the miners because of the pressure differentials and the lack of light down there. they want to bring them up as slowly.
    True, they certainly don't want the capsule to malfunction.
    NRA Life Member

Who here thinks we start to see these shafts and rescue capsules coming soon to mines everywhere?
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Who here thinks we start to see these shafts and rescue capsules coming soon to mines everywhere?
    Maybe not everywhere but in prepositioned central locations like the Navy's DSRVs.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    My hunch is that the owners would cry to long and loud about the cost of pre-placed shafts; and in any case the collapses are too unpredictable and could take pre-drilled shafts down too.

These "accidents" all have one thing in common. The operators ignored safety regulations. In Chile, perhaps there weren't any.

This mine is locally owned, while the others in the area are internationally owned. The international mines are run under stricter rules than the local.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't really see the issue here on decompression. We are only talking about a couple thousand feet and there really isn't much pressure difference. We all go through more than that when we fly in planes which decompress to about the equivalent of 7-8000 feet.

You wouldn't worry about decompression if you drove your car from sea level to a plateau at 2000 feet. When you fly in a small unpressurized plane you easily can reach two thousand feet in 4-5 minutes; ascending at 500 ft per minute.

There may be great reasons for bringing these folks up slowly, but decompression isn't one of them.
    Hubby and I talked about this at dinner and this is about verbatim what he said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links