Jeff Hart: A True American Hero!!!

This is a discussion on Jeff Hart: A True American Hero!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Radio commentator Paul Harvey used to have segment of his show called: "The rest of the story". Well, here is a sort of "rest of ...

Thread: Jeff Hart: A True American Hero!!!

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar

Radio commentator Paul Harvey used to have segment of his show called: "The rest of the story". Well, here is a sort of "rest of the story" segment regarding the news today:

With all of the excitement and emotion today over the miraculous rescue of the 33 trapped miners in Chile, an important facet of this stupendous achievement is being overlooked by many in the media. And that is the contribution made by American drill operator Jeff Hart, and engineers from two American companies: Schramm Inc and Center Rock Inc, who respectively manufacture the drill and the drill bit that cut the rescue shaft down to the buried miners.

A total of 3 teams were drilling to get to the miners to save them. The Chilean government wanted to have multiple efforts, so that all of their eggs were not in one basket. They contacted experts all over the world, and not only received this significant American help, but another team from Austria that was also hard at work drilling too.

However, of the 3 drilling operations, it was the American team using the American made T 130 drill, with drill bits provided by Center Rock, that were able to reach the miners way ahead of schedule. Jeff Hart spent 33 straight days operating the T 130 drill, hardly getting much sleep at all for an entire month. No one had believed that it would be possible to drill a rescue shaft in that short of time through the tough rock that exists in these Chilean mountains. Originally, Chilean mine experts had thought that it would take drilling until December to reach the trapped men.

Yet, American Jeff Hart, using American made equipment, was able to create the shaft in only 33 days, a small fraction of that time. So unselfish and unassuming is Hart, that after completing the shaft, he left the site and returned to Santiago, Chile, saying that he would watch the men come up on TV there. Hart's employer is based in Colorado, and the Denver Post quoted him as saying this yesterday:

"I want to let this become the miners' and their families' story and let them have their time together."

In other words, he did not want his role as the biggest hero of the operation to detract attention in any way from the personal stories of the rescued miners and their families. What a chivalrous and selfless man Hart must be, to have done that.

And to me, that truly makes him an extra special hero.

Here is a news blog about Hart's heroic efforts to drill the rescue hole:

http://michellemalkin.com/2010/10/12...ness-in-chile/

And here is another news report about how he did not want his contribution to steal the limelight from the miners and their families:

http://www.examiner.com/sf-in-san-fr...-miners-rescue

So while there are many cheers of "Viva Chile" taking place in Chile today, I am also yelling "Viva America", for the selfless American team that dug the rescue shaft in such record time.

Here is a photo taken of a sister of one of the trapped miners hugging Jeff Hart, when the shaft was completed:

It is things like this that make me so proud to be an American.

Great story, awesome photo!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

In this day and age, such a story is all the more awe inspiring.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    In this day and age, such a story is all the more awe inspiring.
    Very true indeed. People like Hart are becoming more and more rare.

Most folks are just out for themselves, and not willing to sacrifice for the benefit of others.

A quiet hero, and one cool dude!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

I would say that hug was the best reward he could have asked for
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here is another news story with more details of the incredibly difficulties the American team overcame to drill through this tough mountain:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101009/...apse_americans

The mountain is comprised of quartzite rock with a high level of abrasive silica. It was rock so tough that it took all their expertise to keep the drill's hammers from curving off in unwanted directions. "It was absolutely horrible to deal with," said Center Rock President Brandon Fisher, exhausted after hardly sleeping during the effort.

The 40 year old Hart was selected due to his extensive drilling experience and expertise in using the T130 drill. He and fellow American Matt Staffel, age 34, alternated 12 hour shifts at the control panel for the drill for 33 days straight, until Hart finally broke through into the cavern the trapped men were in.

I wonder if a book will be written about Hart? Seems to be it would be a great story to make into a movie too.

Here is a photo of Jeff Hart and Matt Staffel together, with this happy sister of one of the miners:

Their employer decided to reward both men, by sending them home to Colorado, to spend time with their own families. Prior to be called to Chile, Hart had been in Afghanistan for months, drilling water wells for US Army bases.

Great story. and i'm glad this whole mine affair has turned out wonderfully... I wonder what must be going through the minds of all the survivors..and if any will make some changes in their lives.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Here is another photo, and another article on this story.

It turns out the the two American companies providing all of the equipment for the American drilling operation contacted UPS for help in getting the gear down to Chile quickly.

Guess what UPS did? Not only did they ship all of the heavy equipment from the two companies to the drilling sight within only 2 days, but they did it all at no charge!!!!!

Here is the story:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/10/1...miners/?hpt=T2

We have not lost our way, when we want something done it gets done.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Its stories like this that remind us of how great of a country we actually have. Not trying to derail the thread, but to support the idea of the true American ethic, these stories just reminded me of a story that I haven't thought about in years--when I was in college (back in the dark ages), I had
    a Prof who was born in Italy. He was a child of about 8 or 9 during WWII. He told us in class about his first encounters with American soldiers--they gave him their K-ration packets. In those packets, was, of all things, toilet paper. This young boy was so impressed that a country would care enough about its soldiers to include toilet paper, that he made a vow to himself right there that he wanted to go to that country. He did, earned 3 doctorates along the way and was a great prof. and a great AMERICAN.

My point here, whether its toilet paper in K-rations (now MREs), or UPS sending the equipment for free or our miners unselfishly helping and then fading away into the background, is that America still has a national character that is noble, honorable and good. We need to fight for that character to remain bright and shinning......
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain Scott View Post
    Its stories like this that remind us of how great of a country we actually have. Not trying to derail the thread, but to support the idea of the true American ethic, these stories just reminded me of a story that I haven't thought about in years--when I was in college (back in the dark ages), I had
    a Prof who was born in Italy. He was a child of about 8 or 9 during WWII. He told us in class about his first encounters with American soldiers--they gave him their K-ration packets. In those packets, was, of all things, toilet paper. This young boy was so impressed that a country would care enough about its soldiers to include toilet paper, that he made a vow to himself right there that he wanted to go to that country. He did, earned 3 doctorates along the way and was a great prof. and a great AMERICAN.

My point here, whether its toilet paper in K-rations (now MREs), or UPS sending the equipment for free or our miners unselfishly helping and then fading away into the background, is that America still has a national character that is noble, honorable and good. We need to fight for that character to remain bright and shinning......
    + one million!!!
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Links