Lookie what I caught last night

This is a discussion on Lookie what I caught last night within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The same happened to me when I wanted to catch a raccoon that had been coming to my koi pond. Releasing it was interesting.... I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lookie what I caught last night

The same happened to me when I wanted to catch a raccoon that had been coming to my koi pond. Releasing it was interesting....
    I first put the trap in a big black construction garbage bag so it would be dark and couldn't spray me. I then opened one end of the cage and then..... nothing happened.... I then tried lifting one end of the trap and shaking him out. I saw him coming, so I dropped the trap and started running. Unfortunately, that snapped the door closed, probably right in the face of the skunk.... No I figured he was really mad, so I waited a little bit before I tried it again. I did the same approach, but made sure the door was open, and made sure he made it out, before I started running. Fortunately, we were both unharmed!

2. Remove Ads

LOL guys! Especially Mandalitten!

It was calm in the cage, so I figured I could release it. After work I changed into some cloths that I wouldn't mind throwing away (just in case) and came to let it out. It was curled up in a ball sleeping with it's tail when I arrived. Like I said, seemed calm, so I held my hand up close to the cage to guage it's reaction - it sniffed of me just like a cat would. So, moving slow and quiet like, I just opened the door and it walked out peacefully.
    One of my roosters came up to it and THEN it lifted it's tail and I was like "oh crap, it's afraid of a stinkin chicken!" but the roo stood still and the skunk took exit into the brush.
    I was trying to catch a raccoon that I saw crossing the road the other day....better luck next time I guess.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

VIP Member
    Have fun

Now what are you going to do with it. Just like my old dog chasing car's, one day he caught it or should I say it caught him.

Nice lookin' kitty, you got there. Bring him on in the house and give him a bath and a bow.

Nice kitty.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Years ago when I was growing up, our barn was infested with skunks. We caught 6 skunks in 5 days! (the last 2 in the trap at once!) The trap was the same as the OP's. The procedure was my brother and I would drop a tarp over the trap, then load it into the pickup, and then carefully drop the trap into the horse's tank. Wait 30 minutes or so, then go back and retrieve the trap and empty it.

At the end of the week, those horses would still drink outta the tank, but you could tell they sure didn't want to!

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Grilled or fried?
    Fried taste better.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Nice Kitty.

VIP Member
    I think the mafia technique would work. Act friendly and then a .22 to the back of the head.

To OP: I'm glad it all went smooth for you. :)
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

I see you got your new container of poor mans pepper spray
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I think the mafia technique would work. Act friendly and then a .22 to the back of the head.
    Shhhh don't let the raccoons in on my tricks!
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Nice lookin' kitty, you got there. Bring him on in the house and give him a bath and a bow.

Nice kitty.
    Why do I see a Peepe la Pew cartoon playing in my head

Yeah, so maybe next you'll just leave that little furry buddy alone.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Good use of a guide fence. Are you sure the raccoon was the chicken killer and not the skunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillep Harding View Post
    Good use of a guide fence. Are you sure the raccoon was the chicken killer and not the skunk?
    I'm pretty confident, or else I wouldda shot it just to be 100% sure. I caught the raccoon that killed my roos. He's actually still laying out there near the trap you can see in the pic. I caught the skunk and 2 possums after that - I suspect they are acting more as scavengers than hunters. Usually I ditch the bodies out by the sewer plant and let the scavengers take it from there, but that night I was just awful tired.
    The night I shot the one coon, I saw another one cross the road about 2 driveways up from my place, so I expect to catch it one of these days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links