Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron

This is a discussion on Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey Mike. Sorry to hear that. I can kind of relate as I moved from Texas here to North Mississippi to work in Memphis. I ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron

Hey Mike. Sorry to hear that. I can kind of relate as I moved from Texas here to North Mississippi to work in Memphis. I started looking for a job in the area so that we could move closer to family. After moving it is like trying to move mountains to get family on either side to do anything with my children.

Private message me with what kind of jobs you are looking at down in this area and I will keep me ear to the ground.

Thanks,
    CPTMO
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

2. Remove Ads

Everything will work out just as it should..always does. You and yours will be just fine Mike. Im sure of it.

Mike... you just haven't had good luck with this move at all, have you. Have you told your family how you feel about it ? You should.

If they are going to be generally "non-participants", then ... they can't say they had their chance .... but be sure that's what it is and not just being disgruntled and still 'adjusting' from the move.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hang in there, maybe you can be a good example to them (or at least give it a shot until you get back to TN).
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Unfortunately not just family is like that, most people nowadays have no clue whatsoever what is going politically. You could ask them who there local representative is or who is their senator and just get a blank stare but they can tell you who is on “American Idol” or “Dancing With the Stars” or the stats of the favorite sports gang. [getting off soap box now]

Hope everything works out with your family.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Being a moron is in the job description for being a brother.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

VIP Member
    A wise man once said, you can choose your friends but you can't choose your relatives.

Mrs GB and I often comment about how we must both have been adopted!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Just continue to go with your "gut" Mike.

Really sorry to hear about your brother and father. I am lucky to have a great brother, but I can imagine what it would be like to have to deal with your situation. Look at the bright side; You move back to Tennessee and you won't have to change your moniker from Tn Mike to Ia Mike!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

AzB
    My mom is getting like that. My daughter plays in the HS band, and they had their last home game this weekend. Mom has had excuses for not coming to every game. The only excuse this time was the long drive. (It's about a half hour drive) I just went and got them.

It sounds like your Dad is just making excuses. Try eliminating the excuses, maybe he'll have some fun and see what he's missing. It's worth a shot, he is your Dad.

Your brother, otoh, is a lost cause. I'm not sure anything will ever get through to him unless they make sports illegal or something. How old is he? Is there any chance he might grow up yet?
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Similar situation here which is why once I left NY I never went back. I'll stay here in TX with friends and keep the family far away.

My condolences. It's not a comfortable situation.

If he won't go to you go to him. Be there several times a month and get to know him again. Then when there's something big and he says he doesn't want to drive, tease him about getting old. Of course a lot of us find it harder to drive at night than 20 years ago. You may have to go get him.

One thing I hated was when together we would run out of things to say and cover the same ground repeatedly. Now that it's too late I wish I had taken more interest in his football teams, etc. My sister is a big football fan and would call him at halftime and talk about the first half, etc. It takes effort but you can turn those things around.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Just continue to go with your "gut" Mike.
    That's what got me in this mess to begin with. Once we are back in Tennessee, I will never look back. My wife and I talked about it this weekend and that is the plan. !. Get back to Tennessee in the next year or two. 2> Never even think about moving closer to family again.

Tennessee is exactly half way between my faliny in Indiana and her in Alabama. That's about as perfect as it gets.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I totally understand your situation. I have absolutely nothing in common with my sibling, In fact ,if I wasn't related to them, I would have nothing to do with them.

I'm one of the folks here who thinks it best to keep family at a distance.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    I totally understand your situation. I have absolutely nothing in common with my sibling, In fact ,if I wasn't related to them, I would have nothing to do with them.

I'm one of the folks here who thinks it best to keep family at a distance.

Add me to that list. Funny, I say the same thing about all 3 siblings...if we weren't related, I wouldn't even had been friends with them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links