Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron

This is a discussion on Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Most of my family lives in Indiana. I think I'm the only one west of the Mississippi...I love my family but I dont think I'll ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron

Most of my family lives in Indiana. I think I'm the only one west of the Mississippi...I love my family but I dont think I'll ever leave the North West.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I'm a young voter (26), relatively speaking, and I don't vote anymore, because I don't want to reward the lesser of two evils (and right now that's Republicans) with my vote. Voting, to me, means that you endorse the policies of the candidates for which you vote. I'd probably get off my duff if there were seriously anti-gun candidates on the ballot in my neighborhood, but even most of the Democrats here are pretty solid on gun issues (As from the NRA). So I don't see the point. Most of my compatriots don't either.
    I actually have some respect for the reasons you choose not to vote. But my idiotic brother just doesn't care about anything that doesn't involve a ball being carried, thrown or struck. He doesn't care about how the country is run, how it is doing or anything so long as his precious sports are not interrupted. He is a pinhead.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

You dont' always have to vote for the lesser of two evils. You can still vote for who you want. Yes, he/she may not win, but at least you know your voice was counted. That is important.

I didn't vote for Marco Rubio here, for example. I voted for the Libertarian candidate (Snitker), who obviously came no where close to winning. But he still got #3, clear above all the other independent candidates. I know my voice was heard. That counts.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    You dont' always have to vote for the lesser of two evils. You can still vote for who you want. Yes, he/she may not win, but at least you know your voice was counted. That is important.

I didn't vote for Marco Rubio here, for example. I voted for the Libertarian candidate (Snitker), who obviously came no where close to winning. But he still got #3, clear above all the other independent candidates. I know my voice was heard. That counts.
    You do have to vote for the lesser of two evils in a lot of cases if you wish to participate in the political process. I'm sympathetic to a lot of libertarian positions but we rarely get libertarian candidates running in Upstate NY. Usually I have a choice between a Democrat, a Republican, a Conservative Party candidate (minor NY party more to the right of Republicans), and maybe a Green Party person. All of the aforementioned choices leave a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose I could go to the polling station and write in my own name or something, but what's the point of that? I like the way they do things in Nevada, where you can vote for "none of the above" if you're not satisfied with the choices. Again, I don't want to vote for someone that I agree with only 65% of the time (Republicans) versus someone that I agree with 35% of the time (Democrats), because my vote functions as an endorsement of that person. I'd prefer to vote for someone that I agree with 85% of the time (Libertarians) but they're not usually on the ballot around here.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    You do have to vote for the lesser of two evils in a lot of cases if you wish to participate in the political process. I'm sympathetic to a lot of libertarian positions but we rarely get libertarian candidates running in Upstate NY. Usually I have a choice between a Democrat, a Republican, a Conservative Party candidate (minor NY party more to the right of Republicans), and maybe a Green Party person. All of the aforementioned choices leave a bad taste in my mouth. I suppose I could go to the polling station and write in my own name or something, but what's the point of that? I like the way they do things in Nevada, where you can vote for "none of the above" if you're not satisfied with the choices. Again, I don't want to vote for someone that I agree with only 65% of the time (Republicans) versus someone that I agree with 35% of the time (Democrats), because my vote functions as an endorsement of that person. I'd prefer to vote for someone that I agree with 85% of the time (Libertarians) but they're not usually on the ballot around here.
    Find a party you agree with and get involved. You would be suprised how much influence you can have at a precinct meeting. Around here in major republican territory we have only about 6-12 people show up. It is so easy to get a position in the precinct. the biggest problem with the lack of candidates nationwide is that no-one wants to get involved until voting day. you have so much more influence earlier in the process.

Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    Find a party you agree with and get involved. You would be suprised how much influence you can have at a precinct meeting. Around here in major republican territory we have only about 6-12 people show up. It is so easy to get a position in the precinct. the biggest problem with the lack of candidates nationwide is that no-one wants to get involved until voting day. you have so much more influence earlier in the process.
    Phreddy, I agree with the Republicans on a lot of issues (namely national defense, gun rights and economic issues), but I largely agree with the Democrats on social issues. I have libertarian leanings but am basically a moderate, a centrist if you will-- split down the middle. I would hate being involved and helping to elect a party whose views on at least 1/3rd of the issues I find to be objectionable. More than 100 million Americans abstain from voting in presidential elections. I'd wager that at least half of that group (50 million) are similar to me, young people ages 18-29 who are dissatisfied with both of the major parties. Now I realize that the major parties would advocate for our issues more if we got involved, and I would like that, but I'm only one person. Nothing will change simply because of the fact that I got involved. It would take a sea change.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Phreddy, I agree with the Republicans on a lot of issues (namely national defense, gun rights and economic issues), but I largely agree with the Democrats on social issues. I have libertarian leanings but am basically a moderate, a centrist if you will-- split down the middle. I would hate being involved and helping to elect a party whose views on at least 1/3rd of the issues I find to be objectionable. More than 100 million Americans abstain from voting in presidential elections. I'd wager that at least half of that group (50 million) are similar to me, young people ages 18-29 who are dissatisfied with both of the major parties. Now I realize that the major parties would advocate for our issues more if we got involved, and I would like that, but I'm only one person. Nothing will change simply because of the fact that I got involved. It would take a sea change.
    Don't sell yourself short. Many, many great things start from the actions of one person. There is a lot of power in the precincts. All you have to do to be invovoled is to show up about once a month at the meetings. Afriend of mine did no more than that and she ended up being one of ours state's electors (think electoral college) in the last presidential election.

Go ahead and vent brother get it off your chest. I had a similar thing before I moved from Boston to Florida I had family members who lived literally 20 minutes away and hadn't been to my house in 10 years and barely called me say "well if you move to Florida we'll never see you". I mean *** is that? And when I went back to visit my sister they didn't have time to see me. I know exactly how you feel do what is right for you,your wife and children.
    Snub nose revolvers,the original concealed carry guns.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links