Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron

This is a discussion on Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yet another reason I am so disappointed in this move to Indiana (as if I needed another one). I had hoped to become closer to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sadly, I have discovered my brother is a moron

Yet another reason I am so disappointed in this move to Indiana (as if I needed another one). I had hoped to become closer to my family as they still live here.

I have discovered that my brother is an idiot and my father is a jackass.

My brother is proud of the fact that he has never voted nor will he ever vote. He knows nothing of the way the country is run, he doesn't care what laws are passed, whether our guns are banned. The only thing he is concerned with AT ALL is sports. he is a complete moron.

My father, who used to gripe constantly about not getting to see his grandkids when we lived 450 miles away wouldn't get off his butt to go see my daughters band competition last weekend when it was 17 miles from his house. His excuse was, it's too far to drive. It is in a town he regularly drives through for his part time job.

I've had it. We've been here for just 5 months. i am already looking for a job back in Tennessee and if I get one, I will figure out a way to afford moving back.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hey Mike, it's ok, rant on my friend. Sometimes we need our "vent time" and someone or place to direct our venting.

Family can be a pain in the....well you get the picture.

I truly hope it does get better. There is nothing worse than family behaving that way.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Yet another reason I am so disappointed in this move to Indiana (as if I needed another one). I had hoped to become closer to my family as they still live here.

My brother is proud of the fact that he has never voted nor will he ever vote. He knows nothing of the way the country is run, he doesn't care what laws are passed, whether our guns are banned. The only thing he is concerned with AT ALL is sports. he is a complete moron.
    ^^^I am almost inclined to agree with you^^^^^^^^

Give it some more exposure, and maybe he will begin to see, with your tutelage that our country is more than Monday night football.

Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    My father, who used to gripe constantly about not getting to see his grandkids when we lived 450 miles away wouldn't get off his butt to go see my daughters band competition last weekend when it was 17 miles from his house. His excuse was, it's too far to drive. It is in a town he regularly drives through for his part time job.
    ^^^^I know what you mean, in some respects.^^^^^^^^^

Depending on how old your dad is, and your family's overall relationship is with him.

My father was 79 when he passed in January, and up until he was around 67 or so, he had about as much motivation as your father when it came to these matters.
    They lived 2.5 hrs. away from us, and in his last 4-5 years, would jump in the truck and drive down for the littlest thing.
    One of my kids goings on, or my sisters sons B-ball games , or whatnot.

Maybe try offering to meet for breakfast before the event, to sort of sweeten the deal so to speak, and maybe that might be enough motivation to get him to come around.

Try to make the best of it, and don't give up too easily. after all, as they say, if you ain't got family, you got nothing.

Take care TN Mike, Good Luck.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Hey Mike, put it all into perspective. You probably didn't choose moving to Indiana as your first choice, you moved because there was a job waiting for you. You put some lipstick on that pig and said "well, at least I'll be near my family..." So now the close proximity has revealed your family to be less that you thought or wanted them to be. Think this is maybe God's hand at work?

Don't let the family disappointments keep you from smelling the roses or seeing the move as less than you wanted it to be. Your immediate family is where you need to focus your attention, so give some quiet contemplation time to figuring out if you are where you need to be at this time in your life, or if disrupting your family's life in search of a another job is worth it in the long run. Clearly no answers here, just some questions you have to answer for yourself.

Keep your chin up, brother. Look past the disappointments in the old family and think about whether the current situation is right on all accounts.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Dang it Mike...sorry we didn't get together when I was up there last week. Hope you and the family are over the "crud".

Find a job and move back to Memphis...we'll get together at Range USA!!!
    Proud NRA member

Hang in there, and it will improve. Attitude helps. Yea.........that's lame. We're pulling for you!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Hang in there Mike. I've done what you're going through, and it does get better.

From the realization that family that I thought I respected are actually morons, to the denial (I must have been adopted), to acceptance, to the realization that my game doesn't change regardless of my environment. Looking back, I'm even rewarded with being able to see where I've been a positive influence in some areas, and I'm actually no worse for the wear.

"No matter where you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Banzai

Too bad you can't pick your family out, like movies,if ya get a dud ya can take it back and check out another one
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Try to make the best of it, and don't give up too easily. after all, as they say, if you ain't got family, you got nothing.

Take care TN Mike, Good Luck.
    Thank you, and I do have family. My wife and 5 kids are all the family I need in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hey Mike, put it all into perspective. You probably didn't choose moving to Indiana as your first choice, you moved because there was a job waiting for you. You put some lipstick on that pig and said "well, at least I'll be near my family..." So now the close proximity has revealed your family to be less that you thought or wanted them to be. Think this is maybe God's hand at work?

Don't let the family disappointments keep you from smelling the roses or seeing the move as less than you wanted it to be. Your immediate family is where you need to focus your attention, so give some quiet contemplation time to figuring out if you are where you need to be at this time in your life, or if disrupting your family's life in search of a another job is worth it in the long run. Clearly no answers here, just some questions you have to answer for yourself.

Keep your chin up, brother. Look past the disappointments in the old family and think about whether the current situation is right on all accounts.
    All good points and ones we have already considered. All of us, all 5 of the kids and my wife and I want to go back to Tennessee. Either back to the Memphis area or, dare I hope, to the home and center of the Vol universe, Knoxville.

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Dang it Mike...sorry we didn't get together when I was up there last week. Hope you and the family are over the "crud".

Find a job and move back to Memphis...we'll get together at Range USA!!!
    I am sorry as well Orange. But we will get together when we come down for a visit nest summer. And who knows, maybe it will be to stay instead of for a visit. Why don't you see if you can get me a job as your assistant or something and i will happily come on back!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

DC Founder
    I feel for you, Mike. One of the reasons we moved to Missouri rather than either Texas (where I am from) or Kansas (where my wife is from) is to be near enough to make a trip if we wanted to visit family or if someone was ill, but not so close that we get involved in family politics or get tired of some of the family's lesser traits. My wife's Dad had a heart attack last week and she got there in less than 5 hours. I could get to Texas in just over that if I needed to. To me, that's close enough.

Don't let it get you down, though, sometimes peoples' priorities in life are just screwed up and they eventually realize it on their own. In the meantime, live for yourself and your family....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

OD*
    Sorry to hear this, Mike, best of luck to you.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Hopefully you will get a great job back in TN. I hope for the best for you and your family.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuQQuj9r5xs

This song fits my family too.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Sorry to hear, man. It's always tough having close family like that. Hopefully they will wisen up one day.

Hey man... If you do end up going as far as moving again...we always like to import good folks to VA...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links