I could not make this stuff up

This is a discussion on I could not make this stuff up within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Today at Starbucks I used the Ladies Room while waiting for my Venti Split Shot Soy Latte. As usual, I was wearing my Sig 40 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Distinguished Member

Today at Starbucks I used the Ladies Room while waiting for my Venti Split Shot Soy Latte. As usual, I was wearing my Sig 40 caliber pistol with snap loop mag carrier on the left side at 8 pm.

As I am getting up, I hear a muffled clank. SOMEHOW MY MAGAZINE POUCH BECAME UNSNAPPED OR WAS NOT SNAPPED FULLY TO BEGIN WITH AND IT WAS NOW SITTING IN THE TOILET. I am saying the WHOLE THING was in there, the magazine still firmly sitting in the leather snap loop mag carrier.

Without thinking much I reached in and grabbed it, picked off the wet toilet paper, and rinsed it in the sink. I wrapped it in a paper towel and tried to get to my car without anyone wondering what I was carrying.

My next 20 miles was with a lap full of bullets and wet mag pouch and magazine out to dry.

Will my Speer Gold Dot hollow points be just fine after drying? I'll give the pouch a swish in soapy water when I get home....is there something better to do for the leather or should I just leave it be?

The moral of the story, after rigging up ensure that all snap loops are fully seated. That thing could have just as easily gone down the pipe, I think the toilet paper stopped it.

The ammo should be fine; a limited dunk in water is very unlikely to infiltrate the cartridge and powder charge.

If it makes you feel better, use it for practice and replace it. Or save it for for some really heinous attacker.

Um; that last comment was meant in a light hearted manner. If I have offended anyone, strike that from the record.

The leather should be okay as well. Make sure it gets dried fully.
    Anyone Worth Shooting Is Worth Shooting Well
    Please take a look at my Blog: http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    If the mag carrier is leather be sure to let it dry slowly, do not use heat. As far as the ammo a short dunk in water will not harm it.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    I am glad to be getting serious replies, thanks. I've got the mag out of the carrier for overnight, is that right or should I let it dry with it in there (minus the bullets).

I don't mind a little humor on this, afterall I did post it in this part of the forum just because it was so dang crazy.

VIP Member
    Well don't feel like the Lone Rangerette, while in Afghanistan one of my training team members used the porta john and dropped his issued Beretta 92 in the blue goo.
    He then came directly to me to ask what he should do. It is amazing how many things you can snag with a bent coat hanger in the tank of a porta john. He got his gun back but from that day forward when the light was just right you could catch that hint of blue and the teasing would start all over again.

As stated no problem with the ammo but use it for practice if you are the least bit worried. Now would be a good time to get some saddle soap and clean up the mag pouch, oil the outside of the mag and put it in so it can dry around it.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    I would leave the mag out to prevent retaining moisture and causing the spring or mag to corrode. Now this may sound strange but pack the mag carrier with dry, uncooked rice, it will help wick the moisture away and retain the shape.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Administrator
    The ammo should be fine, but I'd burn it up on the range and replace with fresh ammo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Just be sure to disinfect things real well. Spray the leather down REAL well since it wicks moisture.

Gold dot is usually sealed both primer and bullet. Make it range ammo to be sure if you can afford it.

Everyone has already chimed with good advice on what to do regarding your ammo and drying out your mag carrier, so I have nothing to add there. I just wanted to chime in to say I loved your story!

I've had a couple close calls of the toilet kind before, but never an actual "dunking." However, you are right, be sure your gear is well secured before something goes for a swim. Thanks for sharing your somewhat embarrassing experience.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

You say that your 'reached' in without thinking? Man, I would have snatched that sucker so fast and quickly rinsed her off...
    What happened to you is what I FOCUS upon when ever near a public restroom. I take the gun out of the holster and put it in my (now loosened) pants pocket during the 'exercise'.
    I would have taken the rounds out of the mag and rinsed all, and put them in paper towels. The leather will dry without problems...ever get leather shoes wet?
    Thanks for sharing.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks for the funny story. At least it wasn't your cell phone!

Doinnnk! Have dropped the hairbrush into one, during morning ablutions. Haven't yet offered the gun or mags to the gods, though. Keep up the good work.

Starbuck's you said? CammoGirl, ExactlyMyPoint ... Ya never know. Stranger things have happened.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Has to be a traumatic experience. Same thing happened to me with my wallet one time. Of course I dived right in after it as it contained cash, credit cards, licenses etc. I suffered a little PTSD for about an hour after.

I see a thread like this and I have to ask...
    Does it really make a difference what you ordered?

I hope your magazine holder dries OK and retains integrity, but you know you will never look at it the same again, lol.

VIP Member
    I agree with SIXTO as I would not trust any wetted ammo for carry. Use it up on the range and consider a more positive closure or different mag carrier. Remember, when it comes to firearms (or ammo) Captain Murphy is always around.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links