Crash carnage!! - Page 2

Crash carnage!!

This is a discussion on Crash carnage!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 Thanks dad! Truth be told she would have been a lot worse off had she been in our VW jetta as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash carnage!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    Thanks dad! Truth be told she would have been a lot worse off had she been in our VW jetta as anything would have rolled given the situation and the large crush zone and lots of room between her and the roof made a huge difference. It was just by chance that she took the truck that day as she usually doesn't. Personally I believe that everything happens for a reason and firmly believe she was in my truck that day because otherwise she would not be here.
    Truth be told...it may not have happened at all had she not been driving such an unstable vehicle.

Her "over correction" was the cause as you stated and the lower cg car would be far less susceptible to losing control. Even if both vehicles rolled over at the same speed the truck would be carrying much more energy and the result is a far more severe and violent flip.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Truth be told...it may not have happened at all had she not been driving such an unstable vehicle.

Her "over correction" was the cause as you stated and the lower cg car would be far less susceptible to losing control. Even if both vehicles rolled over at the same speed the truck would be carrying much more energy and the result is a far more severe and violent flip.
    I can't help but agree with you. A modern Jetta with proper tires should be able to maneuver pretty well.( In fact, some are quite sporty.) and they are known for being "safe cars".

At the end of the day, wife&baby are OK. Maybe in the future, such a lift won't needed. Unless you do regular off-roading, in SERIOUS conditions, theres no reason to have all that. Its purely cosmetic 90% of the time, unfortunately that can endanger the occupants of the vehicle, and others on the road.My daily driver stock height Ford has 31" Bridgestones (stock size is a 265/70, which is essentially a 30x9.50, ) on it, and its never met a beach, snowstorm, or mudhole it couldn't handle on its own. (Knock on wood).

(I'm not going to get into a Weeing contest about who knows more, nor should anybody else. Its called "Physics", and most of us have graduated High school and I'm sure plenty have studied it in College too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post

Lets put it this way. I'm an EMT and know a thing or 2 about crashes. I know even more about cars as an avid car fanatic basically my whole life. The over correction caused the car to go sideways and leave the road not the action of rolling that was caused by hitting an embankment sideways. While the truck is heavier it also has bigger more square sides making it more like rolling a square block as opposed to something with smaller with more round sides meaning that it would slow down much faster.

All in all I was there and saw the scene so there is really no point in arguing. I just don't understand the need for some people to try and lecture or "educate" people when they don't know them, don't know the entire story/situation and have no vested interest in the matter. Given that chance to do it again the vehicle wouldn't matter because simply putting down the sun visor before rounding the corner would have completely changed the outcome.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Lets put it this way. I'm an EMT and know a thing or 2 about crashes. I know even more about cars as an avid car fanatic basically my whole life. The over correction caused the car to go sideways and leave the road not the action of rolling that was caused by hitting an embankment sideways. While the truck is heavier it also has bigger more square sides making it more like rolling a square block as opposed to something with smaller with more round sides meaning that it would slow down much faster.

All in all I was there and saw the scene so there is really no point in arguing. I just don't understand the need for some people to try and lecture or "educate" people when they don't know them, don't know the entire story/situation and have no vested interest in the matter. Given that chance to do it again the vehicle wouldn't matter because simply putting down the sun visor before rounding the corner would have completely changed the outcome.
    Great thing about this site is, most people aren't trying to "lecture" you, or say things without reason. Only the fact that maybe in the future, such a lift/such large tires aren't needed. See my above post. We're all glad she is OK....No matter what, accidents can happen. And while I may not have a "vested interest" in your personal life, I have a VERY vested interest in MY safety, and over-th e-top lifts put ME at risk, my wife, and my daughter. Whose to say one of these rigs doen't roll into innocent motorists/bystanders/etc? (Its a matter of physics.)

I promise you Chevy has more R&D than any lift company ever can, or will have. And it was designed to sit at a certain height for good reason.

(PS Thanks for your service as an EMT, I imagine you have seen plenty of brutal crashes; Seeing as you know first hand how bad people can get hurt in accidents,....Wouldn't you want to do what you can to ensure you have a vehicle thats capable of avoiding them? I do everything I can to maintain my vehicles with a high level of safety. )

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Great thing about this site is, most people aren't trying to "lecture" you, or say things without reason. Only the fact that maybe in the future, such a lift/such large tires aren't needed. See my above post. We're all glad she is OK....No matter what, accidents can happen. And while I may not have a "vested interest" in your personal life, I have a VERY vested interest in MY safety, and over-th e-top lifts put ME at risk, my wife, and my daughter. Whose to say one of these rigs doen't roll into innocent motorists/bystanders/etc? (Its a matter of physics.)

I promise you Chevy has more R&D than any lift company ever can, or will have. And it was designed to sit at a certain height for good reason.

(PS Thanks for your service as an EMT, I imagine you have seen plenty of brutal crashes; Seeing as you know first hand how bad people can get hurt in accidents,....Wouldn't you want to do what you can to ensure you have a vehicle thats capable of avoiding them? I do everything I can to maintain my vehicles with a high level of safety. )
    I guess its all in how you look at it. Thing is not one of you know how I use my truck and I did in fact need the lift and tires that were on it for various reasons. While chevy might have more R&D they also have to make things in a cheaper manner than aftermarket companies do because of the quantity. Aftermarket lifts are much stronger and usually offer better geometry. As an EMT I have seen extremely similar crashes in smaller cars in which the occupants did not survive because the roof was in their lap. In a truck the roof can cave that same distance and just be hitting the occupants heads a little. all in all its a matter of point of view. In this case the outsider point of view is seeing things in a very different light than what it is in actuality.

Simple fact is she is fine, the baby is fine and we are very blessed. Nobody knows what it would have been like if things were different. But considering how she came out I'm glad she was in my truck not her jetta for some strange chance reason.

P.S. I was asked in another forum. The baby is a girl and will be here the end of January.

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

P.S. I was asked in another forum. The baby is a girl and will be here the end of January.
    you should name her lucky, or miracle, or hope....

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    you should name her lucky, or miracle, or hope....
    We thought about it for a long time but couldn't think of anything we really liked. She fits the names though.

Administrator
    "Amazingly all she got was a sprained finger and some very minor scrapes and bruises."

Would you ask her if she post some Lottery Numbers into this thread?

VIP Member
    Wow that had to be some ride, glad mother and baby are fine. Firm believer in seat belts also, two rolls from 70mph with only scrapes and bruises is very convincing.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    glad the family is fine, now how bout snagging those tires before u scrap it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    glad the family is fine, now how bout snagging those tires before u scrap it
    Already gone and the tires were pretty worn sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Definitely a Chevy, Look closely you can see "z71" logo on the back of the bed.

Like a ROCK.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Flipping down the road while preggers, ending up in that crunched cab. Lucky, is right!

Not even a bump on the head?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    my heart goes out to you for your loss
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I'm glad everyone got out without any major injuries.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links