Crash carnage!!

Crash carnage!!

This is a discussion on Crash carnage!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This used to be my rig. It was an 03 1/2 ton with a 6" lift and other goodies. My wife rolled it on her ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crash carnage!!

Crash carnage!!

This used to be my rig. It was an 03 1/2 ton with a 6" lift and other goodies. My wife rolled it on her way to school one morning. Amazingly all she got was a sprained finger and some very minor scrapes and bruises. She was also pregnant at the time and the baby is still doing fine we will have her in January.
    They had to cut the roof off to get her our. It was sitting on the passenger side when crews got there after rolling about 5-6 times over 150ish feet and at least one roll while airborne.

Holy WOW! Lucky to get out alive...that looks like it was a rough ride.

Wow, thank the one above! Was she wearing her seatbelt?
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Brother you got LUCKY! I'm glad your ok. I used to work as a first responder and I have shown up to more than one roll over that was of that severity where the turn out was not so good. You just found a new reason to make it to church on Sumday. You owe the big guy up stairs a great big thank you!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I would bet that was a fatality crash if you hadn't told us differently. Either seatbelt and airbags saved the day or lack of seatbelt caused her to lay across seat, avoiding crush injury, although I would expect a patient ejection more likely without the belt. I'm betting seatbelt and short stature? She won the lottery if that's all she has to complain about!

The toolbox never moved. That is quite unusual, it's usually the first thing to come off.

Did that used to be a Ford? What caused the crash? What was the path of the roll, down a hill, down the road, etc.?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    I would bet that was a fatality crash if you hadn't told us differently. Either seatbelt and airbags saved the day or lack of seatbelt caused her to lay across seat, avoiding crush injury, although I would expect a patient ejection more likely without the belt. I'm betting seatbelt and short stature? She won the lottery if that's all she has to complain about!

The toolbox never moved. That is quite unusual, it's usually the first thing to come off.

Did that used to be a Ford? What caused the crash? What was the path of the roll, down a hill, down the road, etc.?
    Seat belted ALWAYS we are pretty good about that in our family (I'm an EMT so I get worked up about it) She is short too so that helped. I had the toolbox bolted to the bed. Airbags didn't go off because it was all sideways.
    She came around a corner/end of a mountain and the sun got her. When she got the visor down she was going off to the left a bit about to hit a reflector so reflexes kicked in and she over corrected. She was totally sideways before she left the road down a small embankment them hit a larger embankment and rolled into the grain field.
    It was an 03 chev half ton ext. cab
    Following my wrenches was like a trail of bread crumbs from where she started to roll to where the truck was. :)

Distinguished Member
    That's an eye opener! Thank god she and the little one are allright.

My bet is a Dodge.

Happy everything is ok. Raising your center of gravity doesn't help when going sideways.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Whooo... Glad she and the little one are OK. That's definitely a scary one.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    That's an eye opener! Thank god she and the little one are allright.

My bet is a Dodge.

Definitely a Chevy, Look closely you can see "z71" logo on the back of the bed.

I'm glad she, and the baby are okay, scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Definitely a Chevy, Look closely you can see "z71" logo on the back of the bed.
    And we have a winner. Good eye. I should have stated in the original post.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 View Post
    And we have a winner. Good eye. I should have stated in the original post.
    Little things like the door handles/interior door panel give it away too, but I've exlusively worked in auto shops for many years now, so I'm used to looking at different vehicles all day, every day.

I forgot to say congrats on the little one! My first was born back in May, and has been quite a wonderful experience. Do you know, boy or girl?

Glad she and your baby are Ok.

A truck like this handles like...well... like a truck.
    It's the "overcorrection" that easily puts them out of control. The most dangerous part is the high center of gravity(as Hiram25 points out). Your addition of a 6" lift kit makes an already top heavy vehicle that much worse. This is not a 'goodie' but rather a 'baddie' and could have killed both mother and child. Big, heavy 'off road' tires don't help while driving 'on road' especially at speed and if she rolled 5 or 6 times she had plenty of speed. Traveling at low speeds on dirt this vehicle is fine.As speed increases the danger increases exponentially. I hope in the future you consider putting your new family in something designed to be safe while driving on the road instead of an ill handle truck that looks cool but is intended to be driven off road at slow speeds.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

wow, talk about lucky...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    Glad she and your baby are Ok.

A truck like this handles like...well... like a truck.
    It's the "overcorrection" that easily puts them out of control. The most dangerous part is the high center of gravity(as Hiram25 points out). Your addition of a 6" lift kit makes an already top heavy vehicle that much worse. This is not a 'goodie' but rather a 'baddie' and could have killed both mother and child. Big, heavy 'off road' tires don't help while driving 'on road' especially at speed and if she rolled 5 or 6 times she had plenty of speed. Traveling at low speeds on dirt this vehicle is fine.As speed increases the danger increases exponentially. I hope in the future you consider putting your new family in something designed to be safe while driving on the road instead of an ill handle truck that looks cool but is intended to be driven off road at slow speeds.
    Thanks dad! Truth be told she would have been a lot worse off had she been in our VW jetta as anything would have rolled given the situation and the large crush zone and lots of room between her and the roof made a huge difference. It was just by chance that she took the truck that day as she usually doesn't. Personally I believe that everything happens for a reason and firmly believe she was in my truck that day because otherwise she would not be here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links