When letting the mind wander, what picks you up and takes you back?

This is a discussion on When letting the mind wander, what picks you up and takes you back? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Q: When you find your mind wandering on a lazy day, what picks you up, inspires you and takes you back to years gone by? ...

Thread: When letting the mind wander, what picks you up and takes you back?

Q: When you find your mind wandering on a lazy day, what picks you up, inspires you and takes you back to years gone by?

For me, it's music. I can recall dozens of different days being at a certain place when a great song came along (on the radio, in a passing shop, wherever). In 1974, for example, I was at a beach lounging on the sand listening to Kiki Dee's rendition of "I got the music in me." I can still feel the hot sand dribbling through my toes as I listened to it, blasting away on the portable AM radio.

Some of the spirit shown in the lyrics from that song still help point the way today, for me ...

Quote Originally Posted by I got the music in me
    Ain't got no troubles in my life
    No foolish dream to make me cry.
    I'm never frightened or worried,
    I know I'll always get by.

When something gets in my way I go round it.
    Don't let life get me down
    Gonna take life the way that I found it.

They say that life is a circle (circle)
    But that ain't the way that I've found it.
    Gonna move in a straight line (ooh)
    Keeping my feet firmly on the ground.

I got the music in me
    I got the music in me
    I got the music in me
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Every now and then,I think of my floor mount Craig PowerPlay 8 track,I had in the 1970's.At night it was cool because the red light would light up when you went past half volume.Pretty lame by todays standards,but it was the stuff back then.We liked to cruise with the windows down and turn it up.Immature?Yes,but we were all young and dumb once.Deep Purple,Hendrix,Foghat,ZZ Top,good memories.Strange,I think music sounded more "real" before the c.d./digital age.

VIP Member
    Interesting thread down memory lane, but it actually rings home! In fact, I too am a product of the 70’s with nearly the same ambiance of the beach, music and girls. What? You thought I was actually going to mention guns? Ok, maybe a little bit, as I was also a LEO in San Diego County. Still, I do miss my old S&W Model-28, and at the time I dreamed of owning the LEO’s Cadillac six-inch Colt Python! Even then it was the most expensive service revolver on the market, though it didn’t quite make the cut in my modest budget. Those lucky dogs of the California Highway Patrol had them as standard issue!

Anyway, this is my contribution to this nostalgic thread.

Regards,
    Dan
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

For me it is music. In fact right now I am listening to Reptile by The Church. I can close my eyes and take a ride in my time machine. Free to fly to whatever time and land I choose.
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    ... beach, music and girls.
    Those lucky dogs of the California Highway Patrol had them as standard issue!
    You said it!

I know the Colt Python description went with the "CHP" reference above, but in those days the beach, music and girls did too. Ahh, to be CHP in the 70's ,eh? Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    Deep Purple,Hendrix,Foghat,ZZ Top ...
    Bad Company, Kansas, Chicago (I), Zeppelin, CCW, and on and on. On the 8-track. I'd forgotten about Craig equipment. Long, long before "raves," or whatever "parties" are called these days.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Q: When you find your mind wandering on a lazy day, what picks you up, inspires you and takes you back to years gone by?
    Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison, Marty Robbins and others of the like all work for me.

There's a special smell that does it for me. Strangely, it's a very particular smell that seems to only occur in lengths of old, oily, dried-out rope, the sort that has been used in a garage for 50+ years and then somehow found itself outside where the winds could pick up a whiff and send it along. I've smelled that a handful of odd times over the years, and each time it takes me back to age 5 when I was knocking around my grandfather's old garage asking him endless questions ... about when he ran trucks during the Depression years, about when he grew up, etc. I'd sit for hours on the top of an old barrel, clicking my feet against the side of it, and in the background, underneath everything, was that scent of aging lengths of oily rope. Amazing how intact those memories are of chatting "man to man" with my grandfather.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Smells will do it, like an old perfume reminds me of my mother. The smell of cellophane takes me back to my stays in the hospital because the food was always wrapped in it.

Music does it, too. Certain songs will take me back to a specific place, but groups will take me back to stages in my life:

Beatles - late childhood
    Simon & Garfunkel - middle school/junior high
    Moody Blues, CS&N, Led Zeppelin, etc. - high school

Certain groups take me back to my short lived drug-hazed days: McKendrie Spring, Spirit, It's A Beautiful Day

Memory Lane is getting longer and longer.
    Dang.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

VIP Member
    Ok, here's a follow-up to my previous. For some, it may be a draw between 'Guns or Roses' but a 70's flower-child just the same. I can hear the song 'Mr. Tambourine Man' in the background.
    Attached Images
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    Memory Lane is getting longer and longer.
    Dang.
    Things momma never told us about.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

A nap!!

Music, especially a specific song, can take you back to a specific moment in time. Music is a 'mental roadmap' in which we consciously or unconsciously mark events in our lives from the monumental to the mundane.

A high school dance ("Should've Been" - Tiffany & "Faithfully" - Journey), the passing of a loved one ("These are the Days of Our Lives" - Queen), friends moving away ("We said Hello, Goodbye" - Phil Collins), and just hanging out with friends during good times ("Pour Some Sugar On Me" - Def Leppard).
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Mine is really wierd. The smell of bondo, fresh car paint and the smell that an oxy/acetlene (sp?) torch gives off. I used to spend most of my time when visiting my grandparents hanging around my grandpa's bodyshop.
    Libertas Vel Mors

ccw9mm- yea, that rope thing. The smell came to me reading you post!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by surefire7 View Post
    ccw9mm- yea, that rope thing. The smell came to me reading you post!
    I have no idea what chemicals, materials, weathering or amount of time is required to make that exact scent I'm thinking of, but I swear that on a handful of occasions I have been riding a bicycle past an old manufacturing business or shop and I'll find myself catching a faint whiff of that smell. It's a dead ringer for my grandfather's old garage and lift, where he used to work on his trucks. It was full of 50yr old oil, a dozen other cleaning compounds, solvents and chemicals, countless vehicles needing an overhaul, along with 50yrs of garage leftovers that a guy in the late Depression years could find a use for. Haven't smelled it since early 1990's or so, but on the few occasions I have smelled it my mind has been taken back to age 5 on that barrel head, kicking it around with my grandfather.

Ah, me. The mind is a crazy beast. At times it can be such a wanker, while at others so exasperatingly precise and vivid. Go figure. I wouldn't have it any other way.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links