To all LEO's (and related fields)...

This is a discussion on To all LEO's (and related fields)... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Does your agency, company, or employer provide you with ammo? I've often wondered about this being LEO's have to spend a lot of time shooting ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To all LEO's (and related fields)...

To all LEO's (and related fields)...

Does your agency, company, or employer provide you with ammo? I've often wondered about this being LEO's have to spend a lot of time shooting their sidearm and BUGs. Who pays for the ammo? If you have to supply it yourself, it must get pretty expensive.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Most times duty ammo is supplied by the department for the sake of consistency. Training ammo in limited amounts is also usually provided.

What I did was buy Remington Golden Sabre duty ammo. If they carried a back up they would have to use Golden Sabre in the BUG. When we qualified we would use standard ball and then twice a year shoot up the old duty ammo and reissue new stuff. Not all departments do this some say buy it yourself just all depends on the area and the budget.

Also keep in mind ammo costs are greatly reduced for LE. I still buy 250 rounds of factory Federal hardball for my .45 in a bulk box for $89.95.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    we are not supplied ammo, however facilities are provided for our private training use and all ammo costs are reimbursed fully except for the tax that was paid on it. So if I buy a 13 doller box of ammo and its 15 with tax, I would get 13 dollers back. When we qualify we are issued Federal ball ammo so noone can claim someone is using better ammo and therefore got a better score.
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Senior Moderator
    All of my ammo is supplied. I havent had to pay a cent for ammo in over 10 years.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    When I was in private security we had to provode our duty weapon and all our ammo at first. Later the company did provide qualification ammo. It was the cheapest "factory" reloads you could get and the dirtiest. After 120 shots the guns were absolutely filthy. A stainless revolver would be nearly completely black. As a police officer my agency provides our duty weapon and all our ammo (duty and range ammo).

Administrator
    Ammo is paid for. It used to be that we have had free reign on ammo, it wasn't uncommon to load a pallet full into a pickup on range day. However, things are a little more trim these days and everyone is watching their budgets and stock supply.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We supply our own duty & range ammo. Agency doesn't supply jack!!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    The Border Patrol provides Federal HST rounds for all the time carry and as well for practice.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Armored Car Company

Each guy supplies his own ammo. We get reimbursed for 100 rounds a year for requalification.

I carry Gold Dots. Unfortunately some guys carry Ball.

I've often wondered about this being LEO's have to spend a lot of time shooting their sidearm and BUGs.
    They only shoot a lot if they want to. A lot only shoot their guns once a year for requalification. Goes for Cops and Guards.

I know of one cop who went to requalification and then forgot to reload his weapon. He carried an empty gun for two weeks.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

My old department bought ammo by the pallet and in the good old days any sworn member could go either to the range or supply section and pick up practice ammo. I am told they cut back on that. Used to be you could get like two hundred rounds at a time now it is like two hundred rounds per quarter.
    I know one armored car service that provides duty and qualification ammo only if you carry a company issued weapon. If you carry your own you must provide factory hollow point for duty use and "factory quality" (whatever that means) ammo for qualification. All practice ammo is on you.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    Armored Car Company

Each guy supplies his own ammo. We get reimbursed for 100 rounds a year for requalification.

I carry Gold Dots. Unfortunately some guys carry Ball.
    Not to highjack the thread, but how would hollow points do shooting through the "punch ports" on an armored truck? I would think in that particular case ball would be a better choice.

Federal HSTs supplied for carry and 2 boxes of American Eagle a month for practice.

Quote Originally Posted by freethead View Post
    Not to highjack the thread, but how would hollow points do shooting through the "punch ports" on an armored truck? I would think in that particular case ball would be a better choice.
    If you are refering to the firing ports some trucks have in the doors or under the windows, you would need some serious AP rifle ammo. The plate that blocks them is the same armor as the truck body. All handgun ammo is going to do is mess up the paint.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    My agency supplies both duty ammo and training ammo. In addition to scheduled training, each officer is allowed to use one box of ammo per month. There are no "rollover rounds". Use it that month, or lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    If you are refering to the firing ports some trucks have in the doors or under the windows, you would need some serious AP rifle ammo. The plate that blocks them is the same armor as the truck body. All handgun ammo is going to do is mess up the paint.
    Oops your right. Sorry, I applied severly faulty logic..... Back to the thread.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links