Is there a Dr. in the house?

This is a discussion on Is there a Dr. in the house? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by paramedic70002 IANAD... Might be a cyst. If you squeeze it does it hurt and ooze/spurt anything, white, yellow or bloody? Not a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Dr. in the house?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    IANAD... Might be a cyst. If you squeeze it does it hurt and ooze/spurt anything, white, yellow or bloody?
    Not a cyst, but one might form. I vote for infected insect bite, infected dog scratch, splinter of some kind with infection. Probably needs cleaning out. See post 12 for DIY instructions. Read instructions. Then, go to a real doc.

2. Remove Ads

It's obviously an alien impregnation.

Don't wear white tee shirts for a while. Stick with reds and browns. If you feel an unnatural anger toward Sigourney Weaver do your family a favor so they don't have to call SERVPRO and stay in the yard.

If you suddenly stop posting for a long period of time, we'll know that you didn't immediately go to the doctor as directed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow. Go to a doc for that?
    You guys would just die if you saw pictures of 2 mystery insect bites that I recently patched up without seeing a doc for.....they made cysts and probably had staph and the whole ordeal.
    I'm now wearing industrial strength Deet when I go out there...an ounce of prevention :P
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Saw a buddys brown recluse spider bite,bit him twice on the inner leg, ended up in the hospital with his leg swelling up like a balloon,he really hates spiders now
    Last edited by rstickle; October 30th, 2010 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Inner leg was close enough.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you suddenly stop posting for a long period of time, we'll know that you didn't immediately go to the doctor as directed.

Made me lol haha.

Looks like it's poison oak. No idea how I got it. Can oak be transfered dogs who have walked through it?

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Made me lol haha.

Looks like it's poison oak. No idea how I got it. Can oak be transfered dogs who have walked through it?
    I imagine so.

So how much did you have to pay for that diagnosis?? :P
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Made me lol haha.

Yes. It's not the plant itself, it's the oil. Anything the oil gets on, and you touch, spreads it. You can get poison oak from dead trees that used to have PO on them. To late now, but also better to wash it with cold water. Cold water keeps the pores in your skin closed. Hot water opens the pores and makes the PO get deeper in.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Yes. It's not the plant itself, it's the oil. Anything the oil gets on, and you touch, spreads it. You can get poison oak from dead trees that used to have PO on them. To late now, but also better to wash it with cold water. Cold water keeps the pores in your skin closed. Hot water opens the pores and makes the PO get deeper in.

Thanks. Not familiar with poison oak at all. It can be just one little spot like this? I always assumed if you got it...you got it all over....rashes...excessive itching etc This is just one tiny little spot on the back of my leg.

VIP Member
    Made me lol haha.

How do you know it is poison oak? Did a doc tell you? Were you treated in any way? (Antihistamine? cortisone cream?)

If a doc gave you that diagnosis, give it no more than a couple more days to start to clear up and GO BACK if it has not started to get dramatically better or if it gets worse at all.

I have had lots of exposure of poison ivy and poison oak in my life. Not fun, but mine never looked like that.

Dropped by the ER, theyvwere nice enough to look at it without admitting me and racking up a $500 bill for the visit. Had stopped in just to have my BP checked and slipped in that I had an odd mark on my leg.

Still hasn't spread, moved, grown etc. It seems to be "drying up" and shrinking in terms of how raised it was. Still treating with Neosporine. Getting older blows chunks. I still remember the days when gashes from carpet knives got a torn piece of tshirt and electrical tape and not a second thought. Now, realizing my mortality, I scrutinize every little mark or bump lol

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    I'm not a doctor but I go to lot's of them and therefore feel qualified to make a diagnosis. It looks like a spider bite I once had on my arm. Seriously, I would see a real doc and probably get a shot of antibiotic just in case. Even if it heals it might have bad things going on in your body. Lime's disease is like that too. You don't want to wake up one morning and find out your ***** fell off.

Distinguished Member
    Looks like this case is nearly closed......but I'll tell you this - some people (including me) are allergic to neomyacin (the antibacterial in you know what - don't want to get the copywrite people upset). If I put it on something, it makes it even itchier and redder than it should be. It is actually included on a common allergy panel if you go get scratch tests (which I did for some other things and to my surprise neomyacin was included on the upset list).

There are alternatives next to the Neo...like Poly... I don't know if it is as effective, but it works for me.

I know what you mean about as you get older you scrutinize every blip.

VIP Member
    I vote for spider bite too. I still have some scars on my arms from bites over two months ago. I thought they were mosquito bites but they itched like crazy and the redness did not go away for two or 3 weeks.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    IF the ER doc actually thought you had poison oak, you should be treating that as if it were an allergy, which it is. The reaction isn't a bacterial infection and the neosporin will do nothing, whereas antihistamines (OTC or prescription) and cortisone cream or prednisone (prescription) would do wonders.

That said, based on the pic and the duration of the problem at this point, I am skeptical of the poison oak idea.

In any case, give it a couple of days and NO MORE, and let a doc look at it again. Poison oak, poison Sumac, and poison ivy, usually clear in a few days--- I'm with the folks who say insect bite; some of which do require treatment to stop the misery.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links