Is there a Dr. in the house? - Page 3

Is there a Dr. in the house?

This is a discussion on Is there a Dr. in the house? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GunGeezer I'm not a doctor but I go to lot's of them and therefore feel qualified to make a diagnosis. It looks ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a Dr. in the house?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    I'm not a doctor but I go to lot's of them and therefore feel qualified to make a diagnosis. It looks like a spider bite I once had on my arm. Seriously, I would see a real doc and probably get a shot of antibiotic just in case. Even if it heals it might have bad things going on in your body. Lime's disease is like that too. You don't want to wake up one morning and find out your ***** fell off.
    It doesn't look like the "classic" pic of Lyme disease but lots of people don't get that "target like bullseye" red ring.

That said, you are certainly right that an insect bite or spider/tick bite could bring bad stuff later down the road.

Ex Member
    1) See a doc
    2) Clean with alcohol then seal it with clear fingernail polish. IF you do have a unwanted 'guest' in your leg sealing the area will cut off air killing it.
    3) Ain't that big a deal. I lived in the jungle for 2 years and a lot of 'things' invade the body.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    1) See a doc
    2) Clean with alcohol then seal it with clear fingernail polish. IF you do have a unwanted 'guest' in your leg sealing the area will cut off air killing it.
    3) Ain't that big a deal. I lived in the jungle for 2 years and a lot of 'things' invade the body.

I agree. I've had worse...nasty things using me for a host...but was in a different time, different world. Took care of it and drove on. My first thought on this was something was under my skin...which is why I dug and cut it open, its entire length. No sign of creepy crawly...but did make it red, swollen and might have caused the infection.

Applied Neosporine and left it alone. It scabbed up. Then I picked the scab...I know, I'm a habitual scab picker lol

It doesnt hurt at all...doesnt itch anymore. Is pretty dry and crusty.

I dont know if its oak or not. I dont think so

What I personally think it is, took me a few days to figure out...and my gut is mostly right...I have two pups that are oufside dogs with no limitations to roaming nearly 12 acres....from cleared to wooded to a huge river. The other day they stuck like rotten seafood....my guess is they were in the river. I think one of them scratched my leg with filthy, nasty claws and caused an infection.

Its on the mend. Should he good soon.

Quote Originally Posted by EB31 View Post
    Thanks. Not familiar with poison oak at all. It can be just one little spot like this? I always assumed if you got it...you got it all over....rashes...excessive itching etc This is just one tiny little spot on the back of my leg.
    You will likely only react where the oil touches the skin. The rash is the reaction to the oil. So, it's possible to just get a small spot. I've had tiny spots like that just above my sock. I likely got the oil on my sock, but it just barely got on my skin. Or you can do what my sister did, and get it so bad all over that you need steroid shots. That was bad. This might help.

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/tc/po...topic-overview

If it does not clear up, get back to the Dr.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I vote for the Poison Oak/Ivy/Sumac thing. That's what it looks like. I'm not doctor, but did stay in a Holiday Inn last night!

The oil found on the leaves of the aforementioned plants is known as urushiol and when coming in contact with human skin, binds to it like glue. The body recognizes this stuff as an invader and sends white blood cells to push it out, plus releasing histamines in case the body is allergic and it is. The reaction is an itching sensation and the person has the desire to scratch the afected area.

This opens the skin, allowing the trillions of nasty bacteria that frequent the outside to get in and cause a slight infection. Scratching and or opening the wound only compounds the problem.

If it isn't some wild thing like a spider bite, Lyme disease or something else, you have come in contact with this potent oil. Actually some archaeologists excavating a 2,000 year old site encountered some organic material and got poison ivy. Even after that long, this oil caused a problem.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

By picking the scab, then posting a picture, you threw everyone off. You may have also thrown off your healing time Scabs are good.

And a note for everyone here who doesn't visit the Doc much, there are small clinics popping up everywhere that are cheaper and quicker than ER's. They a can be found in Walgreen's and such. They are staffed with ARNP's and sometimes PA's who can easily diagnose and treat simple problems. By going to these small clinics, you save time, money and relieve the stress put on ER's by reducing the number of patients(ER's are wayyy over crowded these days, unless you live out int he boonies).

Glad to hear you're still alive.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post
    By picking the scab, then posting a picture, you threw everyone off. You may have also thrown off your healing time Scabs are good.

And a note for everyone here who doesn't visit the Doc much, there are small clinics popping up everywhere that are cheaper and quicker than ER's. They a can be found in Walgreen's and such. They are staffed with ARNP's and sometimes PA's who can easily diagnose and treat simple problems. By going to these small clinics, you save time, money and relieve the stress put on ER's by reducing the number of patients(ER's are wayyy over crowded these days, unless you live out int he boonies).

I think you just did lots of folks a big time favor by pointing out the availability of care at non-traditional places. In addition to places staffed with nurse practitioners and physician assistants, there are also quite a few "urgent care" facilities which are walk in clinics that keep late weekday hours and weekend ours.

Save the ER for the real deal. It will save you and society money.

Your wound will be healed before this thread ends.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by schwaa View Post

What I find ironic is that on a forum full of "survivalists" everyone wants to run to the doctor for some poison oak. . . .
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"


    That's is exactly what I was thinking! Pretty funny, I'm glad your healing up well. Keep us posted

Administrator
    "What I find ironic is that on a forum full of "survivalists" everyone wants to run to the doctor for some poison oak. . . ."

Well, there is flesh eating bacteria popping up all over the place these days. So normally any person with a survivalist mindset will self-treat breaks and open wounds in the skin immediately so as to prevent or negate that possibility.

Since the OP did not state that he treated the wound at all in his initial post and it had obviously been "open" for possibly days then a trip to the Doctor for a wound of unknown cause or origin that won't heal makes perfect survival sense when there are qualified doctors readily available in a non SHTF environment.

Necrotizing fasciitis, Google image it!
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Administrator
    I actually really liked that "survivalist" question. Being a survivalist is making the best use of the resources available to you at the time.
    For instance...not many people die from a toothache these days but, in ancient and even in pioneer days they did.
    Infection started in a tooth and then entered the jawbone and abscessed until finally eating through the bone and hitting the bloodstream and the brain.
    A horrible way to die.
    So even having a survival mindset I would not first attempt to do my own root canal in non SHTF times.
    In a survival scenario I certainly would try to locate a dentist and pay cash or barter goods and or services as a first option.
    If that was not an option (for sure) I would do my own extraction with the ol' pliers and grab for the stored antibiotic because no other viable option was available.
    So it's always about rational & logical thinking as to what makes the best survival sense at the time.

Also if a member posted that he was having numbness in his left arm I certainly would not post..."It's probably just a bit of muscle strain...ignore it and go to sleep." I would post "You may be having a stroke - call 911." That is the responsible thing to do. You never want to have a person or fellow forum member suffer the possible dire consequences of bad, unqualified, advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    What I find ironic is that on a forum full of "survivalists" everyone wants to run to the doctor for some poison oak. . . .
    Sorry, I must have made a wrong turn. I thought I was at Defensive Carry....not Outback Jack's, Army of One, live off the grid survivalist.com

Nowhere did I ever claim to be a survivalist with knowledge of every bite, bump or randomly appearing welt.

Asking the opinions of atleast a dozen other adults is better than staring at it in the mirror wondering...especially in a mature, helpful forum.

You don't like my topic? Nobody twisted your arm to enter, read, then comment. There's a little back button on your browser bar.

Not to Tala...but the other poster...
    As for the comment about saving societies money by not going to the ER...are you suggestion that by some chance I am a second class citizen who does not pay taxes therefore am not entitled to ER treatment?

If anything I wrote was read in its entirety it was clearly noted that I go to the ER regularly just to drop in and have my BP checked. If someone can't deduce why on their own...I will enlighten them. My Dr. requires an appointment for everything...even just to check my BP. Each appointment costs me so much. Not to mention the wait to get the appointment, then the wait to be seen. Also...the hours/shifts I work, remIning time I use to spend with my children, eat, sleep and clean my rear end....I am hardly ever available during regular business hours. I often food shop with the family at 2am...thank God for a 24 hr Super Walmart. Walmart/Walgreens BP monitors are never calibrated correctly and purchasing a home monitor isnt wise with an obsessive personality. Thus the reason for my semi regular ER visits...to jump into the triage station when they are not busy at all with ANY other patients or emergencies....to have the kind nurse check my BP, me to see where its at and then to decide if i need to relax more or make a follow up appointment with my a Dr.

Before judging another mans actions, time usage or schedule..make sure you know more than you assume.

As for the suddenly appearing welt on my leg....had it been Staph my getting seen immediately wouldn't have looked so bad huh?

Amazing how so many adults hold down regular jobs and seemingly function on a day to day basis interacting with others but then get online and act as if they cant think for themselves, jump to conclussions and assume the worst about everyone else. Try acting like that out from behind a keyboard and monitor....be a whole new ballgame with unemployed social outcasts.

For those honestly concerned....thanks. It's healing up fine.

I guess I just don't trust doctors enough.
    I know of several people who went to "clinics" for "minor" wounds and it didn't turn out so well. I can do better than that at home, for cheaper.

Recent example a large puncture wound, he wanted to get a tetanus shot, and patched up a bit, nothing major......and the clinic people totally mistreated it, covered an infection inside, and kept putting him off when he complained about it getting infected - by the time he got someone to take him seriously they said he was about 2 days away from losing his whole arm and/or dying.
    No thanks, I'll pass.

But I do know when I need to go. I was sick once for 4 days and saw absolutely NO improvement. One day on the abx and I was improving nicely. I'm not totally against doctors when needed, just willing to fix it myself if I can, which is MOST of the time.

ETA and in the op you DID ask if you should go to a doctor for that? My answer, no. I was honestly surprised by how many "get thy butt to the dr" posts there were. Your leg didn't even look unusually red or very swollen *shrugs* This was my foot 2 weeks ago, and your pic didn't look anything half as bad.
    I did promise myself that if it didn't improve by Monday I'd take it to the dr, but the swelling went down on Sunday night, and of course it's nothing but a tiny scab now.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links