Is there a Dr. in the house?

This is a discussion on Is there a Dr. in the house? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Keep it friendly folks....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Is there a Dr. in the house?

Administrator
    Keep it friendly folks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tala View Post
    I guess I just don't trust doctors enough.
    I know of several people who went to "clinics" for "minor" wounds and it didn't turn out so well. I can do better than that at home, for cheaper.

Recent example a large puncture wound, he wanted to get a tetanus shot, and patched up a bit, nothing major......and the clinic people totally mistreated it, covered an infection inside, and kept putting him off when he complained about it getting infected - by the time he got someone to take him seriously they said he was about 2 days away from losing his whole arm and/or dying.
    No thanks, I'll pass.

But I do know when I need to go. I was sick once for 4 days and saw absolutely NO improvement. One day on the abx and I was improving nicely. I'm not totally against doctors when needed, just willing to fix it myself if I can, which is MOST of the time.

ETA and in the op you DID ask if you should go to a doctor for that? My answer, no. I was honestly surprised by how many "get thy butt to the dr" posts there were. Your leg didn't even look unusually red or very swollen *shrugs* This was my foot 2 weeks ago, and your pic didn't look anything half as bad.
    I did promise myself that if it didn't improve by Monday I'd take it to the dr, but the swelling went down on Sunday night, and of course it's nothing but a tiny scab now.
    I have a different take. Ignoring obviously infected wounds such as this one puts your life at risk. You risk infection at points distant from the foot and in critical structures such as arteries (leading to aneurism), kidneys (leading to lost kidney function), heart valves (leading to murmurs and perhaps invasive open heart surgery). You don't need a huge area of infection for other parts of your body to get injured. Additionally, sometimes these infections can spread very rapidly and unexpectedly-- even if they aren't from the super bugs.

It isn't macho to ignore them. It is unwise.

I had a patient today who was complaining aobut a "spider bite" on the lower leg. When I examined it there was a hole about the size of a pencil eraser oozing pus, the lower leg was red and swollen with 2+ pitting edema, and a red streak extending up the medial aspect of the leg to the crotch. And, the patient was febrile. When asked why the problem was ignored for 2 days, the patient said "I was waiting to see what my friends on the forum thought it was." patient went to the hospital by ambulance with lymphangitis and probably necrotizing fasciitis caused probably by MRSA. Lucky if the leg is not lost along with several thousands of dollars for treatment. {except for the "waiting fo rthe forum," it's all true; names and gender left out to protect privacy culture results pending}.
    A

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Lucky if the leg is not lost along with several thousands of dollars for treatment. {except for the "waiting fo rthe forum," it's all true; names and gender left out to protect privacy culture results pending}.
    A
    More like several tens of thousands of dollar for treatment. Hope your patient has insurance so you get paid. Now wash your hands and burn your clothes.

Oh, and if your patient is really "lucky," he'll get difficile too. Get the bucket.

What did you scratch it open with? Sterile fingernails? There is a ton of fifth that hangs out under your nails if that's what you did.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links