Just another reason for me to stay out of New York

This is a discussion on Just another reason for me to stay out of New York within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11657376 New York child sued for woman's death after bike crash The judge ruled the four-year-old girl was old enough to be held negligent under ...

Thread: Just another reason for me to stay out of New York

Just another reason for me to stay out of New York

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11657376

New York child sued for woman's death after bike crash

The judge ruled the four-year-old girl was old enough to be held negligent under law
    A New York child can be sued for crashing a bicycle into an elderly pedestrian and causing injuries that led to her death, a judge has ruled.
    Juliet Breitman and another child were four years old when they raced their small bicycles on a Manhattan street and ran into Claire Menagh, 87.
    Juliet's lawyer had argued Juliet was too young to be held negligent.
    The judge disagreed, ruling Juliet's lawyer had presented no evidence she lacked intelligence or maturity.
    Last edited by JD; October 31st, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Quoting whole article
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't ever visit NYC anyway, but the thinking on the part of this 'judge' (I used that term, sparingly), makes me wonder what the Honorable XXX was smoking.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well, I'll bet it's not the 4 year old that is going to end up paying for this one. They're going after the parents!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Complete buffoonery. The only thing missing in N.Y. is the big top.
    What a joke.
    Why is it that people cannot accept that sometimes things happen(4 yr. olds running into 87 yr.olds), and that is/was an honest mistake.

From article:

He also wrote that the Juliet's lawyer had presented no evidence as to the child's lack of intelligence or maturity, nor that "a child of similar age and capacity" would not have understood the danger of riding a bicycle into an old woman.

What, the old Guilty, until proven innocent???
    Is he kidding.
    The let idiots(adults) off the hook for drinking and driving, all the time.
    Repeat offending multiple times, until the get the book thrown at them.

And this moron Judge thinks a four 1/2 yr. old has reasoning skills to assess in the middle of a heated tricycle race, that they might bump into someone and possibly cause injury?
    Sheessh!!!
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I see no reason that a 4 year old should not be held responsible and forced to pay the full penalty of law. She took the life of an elderly citiczen! Off to bed with no supper for you!!! Now, where were the parents while their 4YO DAUGHTER WAS RIDING A BICYCLE ON A CITY STREET???
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

The parents said they were not present, so they couldn't be held liable. If the parents would have assumed responsibility for the matter, there wouldn't be this problem. I bet they're regretting that now. Most articles are stating that the woman died from unrelated causes, that is not likely. A pelvic fracture in an 87 y/o woman pretty much means she has a good possibility of death due to hospitalization and attempted recovery from the fracture. It is absurd that a 4 year old can be sued. Sure, the kid would be charged, but the parents still pay for it in the end.

I run on elderly, ground-level-fall, patients almost every shift. Most of the time when I give the patient the news that they have most likely fractured their hip(if that is the case), their mentality changes as they know what is soon to come. It's sad to give the news to an old woman laying on the floor who's saying "please tell me its not my hip, please tell me its not broken". Its more serious than most lay-people think.

And again, I DO NOT think it is right to sue a 4y/o.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

new york city, toilet to the country (and needs a good flushing). when I saw the article I thought it was either a typo or a joke. anybody ready to go to a "loser pays all legal costs" system?

don't know if thats political or not so I'll just leave it at that
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Links