Election Day: I showed valid CHL card to verify my ID before voting

This is a discussion on Election Day: I showed valid CHL card to verify my ID before voting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by deafdave3 Why would a cop stop you if you don't drive? I walk, ride bicycle, or ride transit rail and bus. Or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Election Day: I showed valid CHL card to verify my ID before voting

Quote Originally Posted by deafdave3 View Post
    Why would a cop stop you if you don't drive?
    I walk, ride bicycle, or ride transit rail and bus. Or combined.

If I witness a crime or accident, I would be obliged to provide a report to a cop. If a cop stops me for a reason and I know I'm innocent (for example, rail transit cops walk the rail cars to check valid ticket carried by passengers; if a passenger do not produce valid ticket, he gets a citation. I've seen transit cops arrest a few punks on transit rail platforms), then I show my ID and hope that problem is solved without further hassle.

For now, owning a vehicle while unemployed (a college student in the meantime) is neither feasible nor affordable due to evident effect of recession. Fuel, insurance, car wash and maintenance cost. My bicycle is less than $500 and it's reliable, provided the tubes inside the tires don't hit thorns, tacks and broken glasses on the sidewalk and right-curb side road.

2. Remove Ads

Can you use it to buy smokes? You should try.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    In Va you need a "valid picture ID" to vote. Our CC permits don't have a picture on them, so I only use it when I purchase a gun or interact with a LEO.
    Yep. Voted earlier, its been years since I've known where my "voter registration card" is, but I just bring in my DL and thats it.

I've had to use my CCW once as "secondary id", which was when we were doing the paperwork to finance my wifes car; It was all I had on me that they would accept, and they would have closed by the time we would make it all the way home and back.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I don't use my CWL for ID. I don't want people to know I carry.
    Me too.
    He said, "STOP by cop." That does refer to a vehicle stop.
    Or it can mean Pedestrian stop, which is what we used for bicycles when I dispatched. There can be any number of legit reasons for pedestrian stop.

I used my DL for ID today, they couldn't find my first name on it, even though first middle and last names are printed in a larger font than the rest of the info.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by roalho View Post
    Can you use it to buy smokes? You should try.
    Maybe...assuming there is no "firearm prohibited on this premise," especially at smoke shops common in Salt Lake Valley. Smoke shops (the type that also sell "legit drug" spice and hookah -- I would not try these) are "liberal." Just showing 'em my CHL might give them a reaction.

Because I have a well-trimmed beard and moustache that indicate I'm late 20's/early 30's, they don't require ID, unless there is a policy to ensure. Same with alcohol. I don't enter bars anymore, unless bar also have delicious menu -- bars are pretty rigorous on checking ID before admittance per state law.

The difference is, the election poll volunteers might know I carry (we are unfamiliar strangers on election day after all; I voted on middle school ground under cover of state law), but the businesses like smoke shop, bar, and gentlemen's club (aka strip club) have NO right to know I carry unless the businesses have explicit signs of "no concealed weapon/firearm allowed."

I never go to a night club; one wouldn't dare to flash perfectly legitimate CHL card prior to admittance in the night club, because bouncers might react negatively and use forceful words to disallow "100% legit CCW" visitor -- VIP, invited, or waiting line patron.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    what i find interesting is that you chose to carry your cfl with you but not your license as a valid form of id...why seperate the 2?...i am guessing your state does not require id along with your concealed license if thats the case...in florida you are required to cary your cwfl along with valid id even though your picture is on your cwfl....

True on that one. However, I've never seen a cop pull over a bike. I'm sure it has happened before, I've just never seen it.
    I was pulled over by a crown vic while rollerblading once
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

My buddy got a speeding ticket on his road bike (yes, bicycle) in Austin, TX a couple of weeks ago. It happens....he ranted about it on FB for a week.

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Don't they offer a State I.D. card(picture I.D.) for those who don't drive?

I'm with mkh, I don't want people knowing I carry. All I can think of showing my CHL to vote would be the Elections Judge motioning the Police Officer over to make sure I'm not carrying in a polling place.

On a side note, since I voted in the AM at a school I got to stop my voting to say the Pledge of Allegiance to the US and to the Texas Flag and then I got to have a moment of silence. I love the Bible belt!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    It's perfectly legal to carry in a polling place in Utah, we're actually a "free" state.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Don't they offer a State I.D. card(picture I.D.) for those who don't drive?
    Yes, in CT they do. it says non driver
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

VIP Member
    Utah has a state picture ID other than a DL, it says "Identification Card" at the top instead of "Driver License". They look very similar to each other.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I don't use my CWL for ID. I don't want people to know I carry.
    I too don't use my CC permit for ID. You never know how many people will be told that you have a permit.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

True on that one. However, I've never seen a cop pull over a bike. I'm sure it has happened before, I've just never seen it.
    I have seen cops pull over bicycles, lawnmowers, tractors, electric wheel chairs, and even a train. All were alcohol related except the train, it was “speeding”
    Sorry for the hijack, back to the original topic. I try to avoid showing my permit unless it’s required.

Does UT allow you to carry while voting?
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links