I hate wireless companies; Alltel to AT&T merger

This is a discussion on I hate wireless companies; Alltel to AT&T merger within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, Alltel is becoming AT&T. Due to the benevolence of AT&T, they are offering me a free phone to make the transition as painless as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate wireless companies; Alltel to AT&T merger

Angry I hate wireless companies; Alltel to AT&T merger

So, Alltel is becoming AT&T. Due to the benevolence of AT&T, they are offering me a free phone to make the transition as painless as possible.

Now, I don't have any super-duper phone that would make Inspector Gadget or James Bond jealous, but I do like my phone. And the AT&T free phones are a joke. They are only giving 4 choices and they are all dumb. I have an LG flip and I like it. It has an SD card slot, MP3 player and I like the way it looks.

I have found that I don't like any other phones (read: regular phone, not smart phone) besides the LG. I can tolerate Samsung, but I hate Motorola phones. AT&T has Samsung, but it's a Rugby, and it looks like a butt ugly rugby football. They do have one Samsung slider, the a777, but I don't like that you have to slide it open to use the phone.

I was contemplating the jump to the smart phone world, but the prices are just too prohibitive, (maybe I could stop eating, huh?) and AT&T's rates and plans are more expensive than Alltel, and you get less.

Sure, an iPhone would be the bomb, but I just can't justify the cost. Plus, AT&T doesn't have unlimited data & web like Alltel; there data services are metered. That's dumb.

When are the phone providers going to just give us unlimited everything at one flat rate? I think that they purposely make their invoices ambiguous, and all of their different rates and fees....

I really liked Alltel. Everything was simple and easy. The bills were easy to read. Every time a customer service rep told me something, it was true. Unlike some others I've dealt with :cough:Verizon:cough:

Just a little ranting...

So, should I get the Blackberry Curve 9300 or the HTC Aria?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

They have an option to go online and pick your phone where they offer more choices. Look into it. It gives you a few more options to choose from.

Yeah I know what you mean. I like Alltel plans better than anyone else's.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    So, Alltel is becoming AT&T. Due to the benevolence of AT&T, they are offering me a free phone to make the transition as painless as possible.

[Deleted]

When are the phone providers going to just give us unlimited everything at one flat rate? I think that they purposely make their invoices ambiguous, and all of their different rates and fees....

I really liked Alltel. Everything was simple and easy. The bills were easy to read. Every time a customer service rep told me something, it was true. Unlike some others I've dealt with :cough:Verizon:cough:
    Just a little ranting...
    When we stop coddling our corporations. I called ATT the other day to report a spam/scam text message which was designed to trick and trap the recipient into agreeing to a 9.94 fee each month to be billed through ATT. They insisted they couldn't stop such spam messages. Of course, they have a big incentive in fees for ALLOWING such spam messages.

I did file a complaint with the FCC which maintains the cell phone do not call list. That will work like most instant cures for raccoons in the garbage can.

These companies know they are cheating us all. It is part of their business model. But every time someone suggests regulations, the majority of folks start a knee jerk rant against "communist."

In short, we get what we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    get a 10 cent a min t-mobile prepaid phone. Only use it when you have to.

When you are around a computer, use google voice and gizmo (or some other client)

phones are the past. I ditched my verizon plan and haven't looked back. I spend <$100 a year now.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

When you are around a computer, use google voice and gizmo (or some other client)

phones are the past. I ditched my verizon plan and haven't looked back. I spend <$100 a year now.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you make mobile phone calls? Or did you just accept that you can live without that convenience?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Do you have the option to keep your current phone or is a must choose one of the ones being offered?
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

AT&T is the best IMO. I've gone through the Cingular change, and heard plenty of complaints from my friends and contacts about their wireless. I've stuck with them for 11 years, and AT&T is the best IMO. Take them for whatever you can get out of them since they are the largest company out there now. The economy dictates big business gain more customers. It's a buyer's market in a small way. Never be afraid to ask for what you want......threaten when you need to. Be willing to talk to customer service for an hour, and get what you want. May help making a list of your wants before you call. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Do you have the option to keep your current phone or is a must choose one of the ones being offered?
    Because of the switch over Alltel phones will not work with the new network through AT&T. All phones must be replaced with an AT&T network compatible phone. They are offering a free comparable phone to what you have for the type of service plan you have. They give you a few choices to choose from. You do have the option to upgrade to a higher level phone with more features, etc. but that will mean a contract renewal. After the service kicks over to AT&T, you have 30 days if you don't like your phone to exchange it for something else. You also have 30 days in which if you don't like the service, you can cancel your service and any existing contract without an early termination penalty. This information is in their FAQ page about the switch over.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Got it.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post

I think you offer some pretty sound advice here. We use Skype for all our (many and long) international calls and Magic Jack for calls in the US. Google voice is great too because you can easily block incoming calls from people and companies you never want to hear from again. Why we keep our land line is beyond me. (Wife won't budge on giving it up because she says we are known by our telephone number).

I could get along fairly well with a pre-paid cell phone. I probably don't use 10 minutes of my 500 monthly allotment. Mrs Hopyard OTOH is wedded to her iPhone; which I almost never use and don't especially like.

I figure if we played our hand right as a family we could save about 400-500 bucks a year on the land line and up to 1 K a year on the cell phones. That's big bucks savings for very minor inconveniences. It would buy lots of those lovely little things we call ammo. Gotta talk to Mrs. H nicely again.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Can you switch providers? Unfortunately they have their ups and downs, but most providers still offer a free phone when you switch to a different provider? Or switch to pre-paid. Not all pre-paid has to be used only on pre-paid, alot of them have monthly plans now too. Just a thought? My parents use Virgen Mobile, they get unlimited texts and data, but only like 300 minutes, and they have a pre-paid card for extra minutes (they really don't use the extra ones,but whenever they do, they just replace the minutes card. They honestly just text and have it for emergencys.) Just a thought.

Also , HTC Aria > Blackberry (I've had two android phones, and a Blackberry Bold 9700, Android is definitely more capable.)

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I live in a rural area, so the only other option is Verizon. Ram Rod gives encouragement, and I might go ahead and call them and tell them what I don't like. My Alltel subscription is up, so I can try AT&T for a while and if it doesn't pan out for me, I can change to something else.

I'm trying to decide if I should upgrade my Alltel plan to a data plan now, before the acquisition, because then AT&T would honor the Alltel data rates, which are more for less.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think you offer some pretty sound advice here. We use Skype for all our (many and long) international calls and Magic Jack for calls in the US. Google voice is great too because you can easily block incoming calls from people and companies you never want to hear from again. Why we keep our land line is beyond me. (Wife won't budge on giving it up because she says we are known by our telephone number).

I could get along fairly well with a pre-paid cell phone. I probably don't use 10 minutes of my 500 monthly allotment. Mrs Hopyard OTOH is wedded to her iPhone; which I almost never use and don't especially like.

I figure if we played our hand right as a family we could save about 400-500 bucks a year on the land line and up to 1 K a year on the cell phones. That's big bucks savings for very minor inconveniences. It would buy lots of those lovely little things we call ammo. Gotta talk to Mrs. H nicely again.
    Definitely agree hear. Landlines are antiquated and I feel no longer necessary. Especially for international calls Skype is the way to go. also I like the fact I can see a friend of mine in China when I am talking to them. along with the sending downloads through chat so they can see pictures and have the same document you are going through. I could never do the things with a phone that I do with Skype.

Landlines are antiquated and I feel no longer necessary
    You need to get out of NYC and see some other parts of the country guy. There are ranches here that are 100 miles or more off any type of major highway, let alone any type of town that rely soley on their landline for a connection to the outside world. We have a pretty extensive cell phone system these days here, but you don't typically put up a cell site at 1 million plus dollars to serve a ranch in the middle of no where. Maybe in the "big city" they are out dated, but not here.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

AzB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    You need to get out of NYC and see some other parts of the country guy. There are ranches here that are 100 miles or more off any type of major highway, let alone any type of town that rely soley on their landline for a connection to the outside world. We have a pretty extensive cell phone system these days here, but you don't typically put up a cell site at 1 million plus dollars to serve a ranch in the middle of no where. Maybe in the "big city" they are out dated, but not here.
    Yep, it's a big country and there are still millions with no cell service.

Heck, I live in a suburb of a major metropolitan area and the cell service in my house is totally worthless.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links