Cooking Turnip Greens

Cooking Turnip Greens

This is a discussion on Cooking Turnip Greens within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know this sounds crazy, But I am trying to cook supper for the Mrs tonight, and I have a pot of turnip greens on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cooking Turnip Greens

I know this sounds crazy, But I am trying to cook supper for the Mrs tonight, and I have a pot of turnip greens on the stove. I plan on cooking this with some other stuff, including the turnips. Can anyone tell me what is the best way to cook these things. Im really serious here, I need help. Thanks.

VIP Member
    I presume you are talking about fresh turnip greens?

Wash and peel the turnips, cut the turnips into chunks. Wash the greens, discard large stems.

Put it all in a pot on the stove, put some water in the pot, but not too much since the greens will cook down a lot. Season with salt pork/bacon, salt and pepper, dash of sugar. Keep the pot covered until it gets hot enough and starts cooking, then remove lid later.

Cook til the turnips are tender, probably 30 minutes to an hour.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    I presume you are talking about fresh turnip greens?

Wash and peel the turnips, cut the turnips into chunks. Wash the greens, discard large stems.

Put it all in a pot on the stove, put some water in the pot, but not too much since the greens will cook down a lot. Season with salt pork/bacon, salt and pepper, dash of sugar. Keep the pot covered until it gets hot enough and starts cooking, then remove lid later.

Cook til the turnips are tender, probably 30 minutes to an hour.
    Thank you! You saved me a lot of anxiety here. And yes they are right out of the garden.

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    I have never cooked turnip greens before. That is a very sweet of you to cook supper for her. I hope everything turns out great.

Another horrendous tragedy at home averted by Defensive Carry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Another horrendous tragedy at home averted by Defensive Carry
    He's throwing them away? Ughh, that's not a food preference of mine.

I would treat them like opossum. Cook well, place on cedar board, bake on 350 for an hour and a half, throw out the opossum, and eat the board.

Good luck though.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I figure he's trying to buy a new gun. Cooked turnip greens for the wife always worked for me.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    That's fairly close to how I do it.

• 4 to 4 1/2 pounds turnip greens
    • 1 pound of turnips
    • 1 pound salt pork, rinsed and diced
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1 cup finely chopped onion
    • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    • a dash of crushed red pepper
    Preparation:

Cut off and discard tough stems and discolored leaves from greens. Wash greens thoroughly and drain well.

Peel, slice or dice turnips.

Cook salt pork in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp and brown. Do not remove greese.

Add the turnip greens, turnips, water, onion, pepper, and crushed red pepper; bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover, and simmer 40 to 45 minutes or until greens are tender.

Taste and adjust seasonings.

Serve with vinegar pepper sauce and cornbread.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I would treat them like opossum.
    Nah.

I'd never cook greens the same way I do possum.

I like my possum barbecued.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Ok greens are cookin with the turnips in them. Added red pepper, sugar and salt, plus a couple of hocks, and bacon grease. Think I'll fix ham steak or pork chops, homny, steamed carrots and topped off with sweetpotatoe pie and pecan pie. Does that sound like it goes together?

I don't know if that goes together or not, glockman. You better send a plate up here and let me see :^D
    You need some cornbread in there. And when you are done steaming the carrots, "shock" them with cold water so they keep their color, then throw them in a pan with some honey and brown sugar and saute them a bit. That makes an awesome glaze and gets them all shiny looking.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Ok greens are cookin with the turnips in them. Added red pepper, sugar and salt, plus a couple of hocks, and bacon grease. Think I'll fix ham steak or pork chops, homny, steamed carrots and topped off with sweetpotatoe pie and pecan pie. Does that sound like it goes together?
    Pretty good. Sweet tea I presume?

Sweet tea sounds good, but this is turning into work! I think Ive wrecked the kitchen, broken the garbage disposal, and set a roll of paper towels on fire by sitting it too close to the stove. No, I think some BUBBA COLA from Save A LOTs gonna have to do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    OK, what time should I be there?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

About 6:30. You can make it if ya leave now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links