Big Green Egg - Page 2

Big Green Egg

This is a discussion on Big Green Egg within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Got my BGE a few years ago and love it. Sear my steak at 750, remove from heat, back it down to 400 in a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Green Egg

Got my BGE a few years ago and love it.

Sear my steak at 750, remove from heat, back it down to 400 in a few minutes to finish.
    In the mood for BBQ? Slow cook those pork shoulders at 250 for HOURS - as in 10 to 16 hours depending on weight - without ever needing to add more lump (hardwood lump charcoal).
    Like brick-oven pizza? I like mine thin crusted and crisp please - no problem on my egg.

Things I don't like?
    Price, but I think it's still worth it.
    The thermometers in the dome seem notorious for going out of calibration (better off with a replacement made by "TruTel")
    The felt gasket seems to be an issue for a lot of folks, but mine is doing fine. Some replace with nomex.

If I didn't want to spend the $ on a BGE but wanted to improve my cooking on another type of charcoal gill...
    STOP using briquette charcoal and start using "Hardwood Lump" charcoal. MANY varieties INFO HERE
    Stop cooking by time and pick up a quality instant read thermometer... the ThermaPen ones made by ThermoWorks are expensive but excellent. Get your temp in 3 seconds or less and super accurate.

Whatever you decide, happy grillin' .

For a whole lot of info on the Big Green Egg (biased of course), check out the EggHeadForum

We have one on our to buy list...we can use the neighbor's whenever we want to...
    You won't find better tasting steak or burgers than those that have been cooked on one.OMO
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 10th, 2010 at 10:57 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I appreciate the info folks. The reason I asked is because I was in Atlanta last week and went to a restaurant called Muss & Turners. It is a small place with a small menu, but they do their cooking on a BGE. I have never tasted chicken so amazing in my life so I have definitely put one on my wish list.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

We have had one for over 8 years and it has made 2 moves. It is very expensive but the steaks and smoked turkeys it has made are unbelievable. The bottom charcoal plate and holder has cracked, but the pieces stay together so I haven't replaced them (going on 3 years). You can find other Kamodo cookers and they probably work as well. I saw one at Cabella's and I think Lowes (might get it marked down out of season).
    "The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us." Patrick Henry 1775

Vegetarian: Indian for inept hunter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links