Grits - Page 2

Grits

This is a discussion on Grits within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Do you have a local IGA or independent grocery store? What is the world coming to when you can't find grits in NC?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grits

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Do you have a local IGA or independent grocery store?
    What is the world coming to when you can't find grits in NC?

Biscuits n gravy, 2 eggs over easy, grits, side of toast, side of bacon, OJ & coffee. Every time we go out for breakfast that's my order.

I eat my grits with sugar and butter. But then I eat toast with mayonaisse and pepper as a snack too :)

I also like a bowl of grits with sugar and butter. Add a few slices of thick slab hickory smoked bacon with that please.

Distinguished Member
    Whoa, as a native northerner I can accept "grits" (who named them that anyways?) as a regional thing (thang) but MAYONAISE AND PEPPER ON TOAST?

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I like them with over easy eggs. Break the yoke and soak it up with the grits. Now ya got a breakfast to stick with ya till lunch. Top it off with some biscuits and gravy, good hot black coffee, make ya wanna slap yo momma.

Cook the instants slower and longer to get them closer to the consistency of old fashioned grits. Personally I like mine with heavy cream, butter, garlic, and a fistful of jalapenos on the side of two sunny side eggs, bacon, and some grilled potatoes/onions/green peps. Don't forget to pass the red Habanero sauce.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I think my favorite grits are jalapeno cheese grits. Roast the jalapeno on a grill or in the toaster oven and cut it up and mix it in the grits with extra sharp cheddar. Serve this with some chicken or something and it makes a good dinner. Also, *** is up with me not being able to find old fashioned grits in NC. I have a Fresh Market, Kroger, Food Lion, Lowes Foods, and Harris Teeter. Oh, and Piggly Wiggly, but I still need to check there. They seem like the place that might just carry the grits. I think NC is starting to turn into a neutral state. It used to be really southern here, but with the massive influx of northerners and immigrants, things are starting to get very generalized. Atleast they haven't taken away Eastern NC BBQ!

Quote Originally Posted by cammo girl View Post
    Whoa, as a native northerner I can accept "grits" (who named them that anyways?) as a regional thing (thang) but MAYONAISE AND PEPPER ON TOAST?
    I know lol sounds nasty but try it. It's a little snack idea I picked up as a kid in SC. I'm originally from Jersey, lived darn near everywhere lol and picked up tons of "funky" eating habits that taste gteat. Another is peanuts and coke (cola, not blow) haha. Delicious!

The first time I ate grits I thought I was gonna puke, but now years later I luv em with fried eggs and bacon drippings. Darn now ya done gone and made me hungry.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

VIP Member
    I gotta throw this in..................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYoYPJ5uwFg
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Fish & Grits ; ) PS All small markets have em
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

That is a shame you can't find ol' fashion grits in NC. Heck, we even have them up here.

I think it's just a sign of the times. It seems like we live in a society that wants everything now, right now.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Same with oatmeal - so much better.

Don't forget Flo.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moga View Post

Cook the instants slower and longer to get them closer to the consistency of old fashioned grits. Personally I like mine with heavy cream, butter, garlic, and a fistful of jalapenos on the side of two sunny side eggs, bacon, and some grilled potatoes/onions/green peps. Don't forget to pass the red Habanero sauce.
    With any combination like that you are going to get a lot of muzzle flash due to the gas ejection system. I would at least recommend a silencer.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    How you eat'em/like'em seems to be a regional thing.

I grew up with them served with butter, and lots salt & pepper on the plate with the eggs and breakfast meat (ham, bacon, sausage). Never learned to like them as a thin sweet cereal gruel in a bowl.

For the northerners, Polenta is more or less the same thing -- different name, prepared and cooked differently. I used to think the difference between cornmeal, polenta and grits was consistency of how coarse the corn was ground. But over the years I seen all three in different coarseness.

The best I can find around here is Bob's Red Mill.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Ok you asked what grits are:

http://www.grits.com/discript.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grits

Now let me tell you about banana and Duke's mayonnaise on toast...

Cheese toast, cheddar cheese biscuits, homemade chicken & pie, apple dumplings in a dutch oven...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links