Volunteered to go down to an assisted living facility to assist in Veteran day.

This is a discussion on Volunteered to go down to an assisted living facility to assist in Veteran day. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well my wife is interning at a Assisted Living Facility. I had been to one a couple of years ago to see my Nana before ...

Thread: Volunteered to go down to an assisted living facility to assist in Veteran day.

Volunteered to go down to an assisted living facility to assist in Veteran day.

Well my wife is interning at a Assisted Living Facility. I had been to one a couple of years ago to see my Nana before she passed. Well my wife had said that they were going to do something special today for the Veterans. I asked if I could come (10.5 years so far including a tour in the middle east) as a joke. I guess when she got there she made a joke insinuating that I had wanted to come and the Director of the location asked if I would come down to hand out certificates and to help my wife in pinning the Veterans with an American Flag lapel pin. I was hesitant because I didn't feel comfortable going down there. After a couple of episodes of "The Pacific" I realized that I owed them at least that much. In less that 40 minutes got my dress uniform in order, showered, shaved and took off. I don't think works can describe the feeling I got when I got there. I think they clapped more for me in uniform than they did for their community members who were being recognized. I've never been so proud to be a member of the US Armed Forces as I was today. What really broke my heart was that one of the gentlemen that lived in the dementia unit was unable to realize I was standing next to him for a while with my hand out so that I could shake it, thanking him for her service. I can only hope that I can accomplish 1/2 of what the members did before me. I also made sure to call my step-father, father, and brother in law (his, was one of the last units to leave Iraq) and thank them all.

Sorry for the run on paragraph.

Thanks to all the service members, like myself, who have made sacrifices to ensure that this is the best country on earth.
    "Common sense is not so common. Voltaire

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations. Nice story, and good memories. Thank you.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Good on you to take the time and do that on Veteran's Day. Thank you for doing so, and for your service.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

A great thing to spend your day doing. And thank you for your service and welcome home.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Good day. We owe everyone who's served in the military, a big thanks ! ! !
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Good job! Time goes by fast, there may come a time when the roles are reversed.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Links