Got my deer this morning

This is a discussion on Got my deer this morning within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Just checkin in with everyone. Me and the Mrs are up in the hills. Took a big mature doe with my 44 using hardcasts, about ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my deer this morning

Got my deer this morning

Just checkin in with everyone. Me and the Mrs are up in the hills. Took a big mature doe with my 44 using hardcasts, about a 50 yarder. Blew out both shoulders. I saw 3 does earlier with a huge buck chasing them but could not see my darn front site, so they were lucky.

The Mrs is still trying to get hers, she's on the 30-30, and a little sore that she passed up on a shot this mornin. But I'm sure she will make it up this evening or in the mornin.

Don't have signal at the camp site, but will post pics of what a hardcast bullet will do , and hopefully some of Mrs Gman with her deer when I get back to civilization. Until then, everybody be safe!

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on the score....
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Well done, steaks and smokies coming up.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Congratulations!
    I can almost smell deer meat chili right now.
    I've been hearing the deer move in the early morning hours when I'm getting ready for work down through brush into the semi-dry creek bed across from our house. Plenty of oak trees and acorns! Found prints this morning. Wife and I plan on making time to go over the extended Thanksgiving holiday weekend. If I can get one right across the road, we won't need to 'go' anywhere. LOL!
    My nearest neighbor got one a couple of weeks ago with muzzle loader. Too close to dusk and he had to go back and find it the next day. He found it (six point), but all the coyotes left was the head.
    Took this pic out our living room window about a month ago in the evening with my phone. They've picked around our corn and pepper plants in the garden Aug/Sept. Best of luck to all you hunters out there, and be safe and be careful.

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations, wish I had time to go. My brother has killed 2 so far. One with the BP rifle and 1 with the shotgun this morning.

Don't forget to nail a few coyotes.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Congrats. I still haven't got out there yet. I bumped into a big doe last week behind a house I'm building, but all I had on me was my G26.

I'm batting 500 ; ) 2 NICE cow horn spikes & 1 Six pt- in (6) Climbs. Congrates & Good Luck to Mrs Gman !
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Just checkin in with everyone. Me and the Mrs are up in the hills. Took a big mature doe with my 44 using hardcasts, about a 50 yarder. Blew out both shoulders.

Don't have signal at the camp site, but will post pics of what a hardcast bullet will do
    Was that 44 launched from a rifle or a revolver?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Was that 44 launched from a rifle or a revolver?
    a revolver. 5 inch 629.

Congrats, and looking forward to the pics.

I've gotten a spike and a nice 8 ptr during muzzleloader this year. Missed one this evening. My oldest daughter came along for her first deer hunt, but I could not make the shot. Next time maybe. The rut is heating up around here. There is a big scrape and some rubs down by my lock on stand. It's not as active around the ladder stand we were in today. Heres a pic of my 8 ptr.

I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Updated pic: got my deer this morning

deer 1.jpg

This is a pic of my doe with the Mrs posing by it. She is still trying to get hers. I had an oppurtunity at a couple more does with a buck chasing them, but passed up due to the poor lighting, which hindered my site picture. I usually let the bucks walk anyway as there is an imbalance in the ratio here in my zone, and I eat them, not hang them on a wall, lol.

Notice the entrance wound, which was made by a hardcast 44 mag loaded and chronographed at 1200 fps. I clipped the corner of the shoulder blade. The bullet cut a straight path thru the body, leaving a full caliber hole on the other side. This and every animal I take with this type of load hits the ground hard, and I have never had one to get up. The shot was probably less than 50 yards.

I use a handgun for most of my hunting, as I enjoy the challenge and it teaches me alot about terminal ballistics on live animals. I may try the 9mm again with the 147 grain golden saber, as I was not a member here a couple of years ago when I did that test, and post the pics for everyone to see. I am allowed 3 more deer, 2 more does and 1 buck, so I will definitely be out there again trying something.

As a side note, here . I would like to say that nothing has worked as well as these big heavy flat nosed bullets on game. I believe in them for self defense applications as well. Zoom in on that entrance wound and you will see what Im talking about here. As the revolver recoiled, I could see it knocked to the ground. I like that type of performance. This tells you a lot more than ballistic jello and water jugs, or pretty pics of expanded bullets.

Congrats!!!
    That'll eat nice. Best of luck for your continued success. oh, and to the Mrs as well.

Took this one Friday at our place in SW Ga.

dan

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Congrats! I took a 3 1/2 year old spike this weekend. It was big for a north texas deer. Got a ton of meat, and culled his nasty antlers out of our herds gene pool.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner View Post
    Congrats!!!
    That'll eat nice. Best of luck for your continued success. oh, and to the Mrs as well.

Took this one Friday at our place in SW Ga.

dan
    Wow, I am ashamed of my little doe compared to that monster. You wont find many deer like that where I hunt that are natural roaming deer, unless you go to a deer farm or some place like that to hunt. And even then , its so iffy to get in pistol range. But if I saw one like that and had a shot, Id take it! Great deer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links