Diplomatic Immunity... What a crock!

This is a discussion on Diplomatic Immunity... What a crock! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/06/sco....ap/index.html Make them pay or kick them the hell out....

Thread: Diplomatic Immunity... What a crock!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/06/sco....ap/index.html

Make them pay or kick them the hell out.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Assistant Administrator
    Between November 1997 and the end of 2002, diplomats accumulated more than 150,000 unpaid parking tickets in New York, racking up $18 million in unpaid fines.
    Outrageous - I have always hated this diplomatic immunity crap - ''when in Rome'' etc ......... obey the laws and pay up if you get caught.

End of story.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    While they have immunity, their vehicles should not. Tow em!
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

interesting,and I just finished reading a book on Diplomatic crime....

rape, murder, serial rape and murder.....

VIP Member
    I agree tow’em, if they still don’t pay there is always the auction block. Or as another recourse, reduce the extortion paid each year to the UN by an amount equal to the unpaid fines.

Lead Moderator
    New York and DC have had that problem for years. Diplomatic Immunity does work both ways though, it has saved the butts of a few of our Diplomats over the years.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    With diplomatic immunity you get the bad with the good. It is unfortunate, but a price we pay to have the same for our people overseas. I have been covered by diplomatic immunity in the past, and in some countries you are glad you have it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I gotta agree with rstickle on this one. You wouldn't think Diplomatic Immunity was such a crock if you got caught sipping a brewski in Saudi Arabia and they were going to cut your freakin' HAND off for it.

Or if they caught your wife without her veil, and were going to stone her to death or behead her.

Or if they caught the both of you with a copy of "Cosmopolitan" magazine. They'd probably gouge your eyes out for that one.

Of course, whenever I think of Diplomatic Immunity, I think of the line toward the end of Lethal Weapon II where Mr. Bad, a mega drug dealer (and murderer) has just gotten himself caught by Riggs and Murtaugh and holds out his ID, bleating "Diplomatic Immunity!".

He gets appropriately gunpowderly perforated, multiple times: "It's just been revoked."

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I used to live in NYC and this is my take on it.
    Those diplomatic plates really stand out. Kind of hard to miss them.
    WHY do the traffic enforcement agents (Not the cops) even bother to write the ticket? What part of immunity don't you understand?
    Let's face it there isn't a place to park legally in NYC. Particularly Manhattan.
    This whole thing is just stupid.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    "Based on statistics supplied by the city, the report said the worst offenders during that period were Kuwait [emphasis added], which averaged 246.2 unpaid tickets per diplomat per year, followed by Egypt, with 139.6; Chad, with 124.3; and Sudan, with 119.1."

So much for gratitude about liberating their country from Saddam Hussein?

Senior Moderator
    WHY do the traffic enforcement agents (Not the cops) even bother to write the ticket? What part of immunity don't you understand?
    Kinda like giving tickets to government vehicles.

A little story...
    My dad used to be a Navy Recruiter and had a Government Vehicle. One day the city told them that they would be unable to park in front of the building and that all government vehicles would be cited. So they gave them tickets all the time and each tickets was promptly deposited in the trash. When I asked him why the cops even botherered, he said that it was for the sake of apperance, to let the sheeple know that cops had seen it and were doing their job.

It also served to keep people from telling the cops that they vehicle needed a ticket. Youd be suprised at the people that tell cops about every infraction or what they think should be an infraction.

This was in New Bedford,R.I. back in the early 70's. Back then the Black Panther movement was strong and after several vehicles were trashed the recruiters in the building were told to protect government property and were issued .45's. This included all military employess in the building, and it was a joint recruiter operation, had the Navy,AirForce,Marine and Army all on the same floor. So they all started wearing the .45's.

The Mayor and the local Cops got in a ******* contest with them and told them that they had no authorization from the city to carry firearms. A few were even cited for carrying. Those tickets promptly went into the trash can. When the court date came up some high ranking military lawyer showed up and got their minds right. After that they werent bothered again.

The U.N. is the same way. They are actually considered a foreign entity. They have their own guns and their own set of rules to play by.The tickets that are issued to them mean nothing...but the average Joe sees a UN vehicle in an unmarked parking spot and sees a ticket on the windshield and thinks that "justice" has been served.

That "justice"goes right into the same place that most justice does when dealing with the U.N....in the trash can.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Kinda like giving tickets to government vehicles.
    Hadn't thought about that.

In many years of doing VIP protection in DC we had a pre-printed form letter on government letterhead that went in with all the tickets we got. And even though we had a "fireball" and LE placard on the dashboard we'd still get the tickets. When the traffic folks were still around and we asked the answer was usually the same. "We didn't see the markings when we started writing".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Three small words: 'Lethal Weapon II'
    Maybe that's a bit harsh for unpaid parking tickets!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Links