Lousy way to start a sunday!

Lousy way to start a sunday!

This is a discussion on Lousy way to start a sunday! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Woke up this morning and found water in my bathroom floor. Apparently the piping from the house to the sewer system is stopped up. Went ...

Thread: Lousy way to start a sunday!

Unhappy Lousy way to start a sunday!

Woke up this morning and found water in my bathroom floor. Apparently the piping from the house to the sewer system is stopped up. Went to the front yard and opened the cleanout to have a looksee, yup lots of water just standing there..

Makes me wish I were a plumber, going to grab the hosepipe and see if I can't get something moving along... also makes me wish i knew what the heck I was doing, lol.. wish me luck!
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Definitely no fun, but many times with a little work you can avoid the big $$$ for a plumer. Good luck.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Also see if there is a rent-all store open; they always have powered sewer pipe snakes, same type equipment the plumber would use.

VIP Member
    When I had my house built 20 + years ago I had a one way backup valve installed. At the time the plumber and builder tried to dissuade me from doing that. It has never caused a problem and or course I have no way to know if it has saved me from any. But, it is good to know it is in there. The only downside, if I ever have to have the line "rooted," they'll have to deal with the valve.

Man that's a crappy job...

Holy Crap Batman!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

I feel for you. Household stuff sucks IMO....but I spent the better part of two weeks fixing an underground water leak from my main line this year, and an upgrade to our bathroom sink to plastic since the p-trap got a hole in it. I've got some much needed chain link fence repairs due today. Some of the unexpected, but we're saving a lot on the water bill since I did the repairs. I never would have found the spot to dig if it wasn't for our dry weather a couple of months ago. Only wet spot in the yard. I'm wishing you the best of luck with your repairs. Plumbing is one of those things I'd rather not get into myself, but every now and then, the occasion arises. Hang in there! Home ownership pretty much dictates you do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    Woke up this morning and found water in my bathroom floor. Apparently the piping from the house to the sewer system is stopped up. Went to the front yard and opened the cleanout to have a looksee, yup lots of water just standing there..

Makes me wish I were a plumber, going to grab the hosepipe and see if I can't get something moving along... also makes me wish i knew what the heck I was doing, lol.. wish me luck!
    It sounds like you have minimal or not enough slope to the sewer. Minimum should be 1/4" per ft. I would advise not putting stuff like cat litter down the toilet and even some types of TP like Cottonelle, no B.S.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    I'm sorry for starting a Sunday Morning out like this. I''m to late, but remember, snakes, a motorized pipe snake can save a lot of $$$$$ in the future.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

May have (emphasis on may) gotten out easy. Ended up going to the store and getting some Lye to pour into the cleanout. After about 20 minutes where was a loud "whoosh"ing sound from the pipes in the house. Now the cleanout pipe is clear. From what I can tell after poking around with my hosepipe a bit, looks like grease had it stopped up.

I've since put more lye down every drain followed by a shot of dawn N water, and poured nearly 50 gallons of boiling hot water down every drain in the house.

Lazy, desperate, sure.. but beats digging up the front yard if I didn't *HAVE* to :D
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Exhausting the easy solutions first, is neither lazy or desparate, more like common sense.

Exhausting the easy solutions first, is neither lazy or desperate, more like common sense.
    Most excellent advice!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    May have (emphasis on may) gotten out easy. Ended up going to the store and getting some Lye to pour into the cleanout. After about 20 minutes where was a loud "whoosh"ing sound from the pipes in the house. Now the cleanout pipe is clear. From what I can tell after poking around with my hosepipe a bit, looks like grease had it stopped up.

I've since put more lye down every drain followed by a shot of dawn N water, and poured nearly 50 gallons of boiling hot water down every drain in the house.

Lazy, desperate, sure.. but beats digging up the front yard if I didn't *HAVE* to :D
    Now you see why I about blew a gasket when I figured out that hubby was draining hamburger grease into the sink!!!!!!!!!!!
    That stuff goes to the dogs. If you limit them to reasonable amounts, they handle it a lot better than the plumbing does! lol
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Small fact, grease--bad it congeals, cooking oil--good it slicks thing up and does not congeal.

Sponsored Links