NEWSFLASH! Korean missle was aimed at Hawaii

This is a discussion on NEWSFLASH! Korean missle was aimed at Hawaii within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/...626.shtml?s=br It has been on tv off an on for the last half hour or so. Newsmax is just the first place on the web ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWSFLASH! Korean missle was aimed at Hawaii

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006/...626.shtml?s=br

It has been on tv off an on for the last half hour or so.
    Newsmax is just the first place on the web that I could find that has it already.

A North Korean missile launched on Wednesday was aimed at an area of the ocean close to Hawaii, a Japanese newspaper reported on Friday.

Experts estimated the Taepodong-2 ballistic missile to have a range of up to 6,000 km (3,700 miles), putting Alaska within its reach. Wednesday's launch apparently failed shortly after take-off and the missile landed in the sea between the Korean peninsula and Japan, a few hundred kilometres from the launch pad.

But data from U.S. and Japanese Aegis radar-equipped destroyers and surveillance aircraft on the missile's angle of take-off and altitude indicated that it was heading for waters near Hawaii, the Sankei Shimbun reported, citing multiple sources in the United States and Japan.

North Korea may have targeted Hawaii to show the United States that it was capable of landing a missile there, or because it is home to the headquarters of the U.S. Pacific fleet, the paper said.

An alternative explanation might be that a missile could accidentally hit land if fired towards Alaska, the report said.

A separate report in the Mainichi Shimbun daily cited U.S. and Japanese government officials as saying a piece of the Taepodong-2 missile fell off immediately after take-off, strengthening the view that the launch was a failure.

Reuters 2006. All Rights Reserved.
    Thoughts?

Assistant Administrator
    All I can think is - N Korea was effectively playing with fire!!!

Chance trajectory - intended trajectory - any screw-up and they have one heck of a diplomatic incident instantly - understatement of course!

Still not sure quite what to make of it all - except it does seem apparent that from a range POV the large missile could have been used to target several very close-to-home targets.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

North Korea may have targeted Hawaii to show the United States that it was capable of landing a missile there, or because it is home to the headquarters of the U.S. Pacific fleet, the paper said.

History repeating itself here

Anyone remember what happened last time hawaii was attacked bet the Japanese do.

Fox reported a little while ago, that Hawaii was determined as the target due to the missles angle, altitude, and rate of descent.
    Or words to that effect. In other words it went way to high just to drop on anything else.

Senior Moderator
    Sounds like an act of war to me.

Perhaps we ought to send a cruise missle to the home of the North Korean President. One that didnt miss.

That would get the point across.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    Sounds like an act of war to me.

Perhaps we ought to send a cruise missle to the home of the North Korean President. One that didnt miss.

That would get the point across.

You mean give them a lesson on how to launch a missile?
    Press the fight!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Interesting data to say the least
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Gee, I wonder if a funky 747 belonging to the USAF was flying near South Korea during the launch, if it was and it was working I doubt we will hear about it for 30 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin
    Gee, I wonder if a funky 747 belonging to the USAF was flying near South Korea during the launch, if it was and it was working I doubt we will hear about it for 30 years or so.

This was one of my first thoughts.
    I have encountered two seperate people, who both retired about the same time, and lived roughly 700 miles apart. Both of which had a fairly high clearance when they retired. I heard the same phrase from both of them when the topic of what Uncle Sam has that the public has never seen yet. Both said words to the effect. "I saw stuff 20 years ago that hasn't shown up in science fiction yet. Not because it is that advanced, but just stuff nobody else has thought of yet."

Granted, they could both have been pulling my leg, but it gives me the warm fuzzies to think what we may have sitting in our arsenals.

Btw, one of those individuals, was a relative of my wife's. She worked at the Pentagon for over 25 years. She is in a nursing home now, and has her picture with a couple of presidents, and a plaque, that I always get a kick out of. It has picture of what looks like several pilots on a carrier deck. The inscription, is. "From the guys who don't exist, to the lady who doesn't exist, Thank you!"
    When asked about it she will just smile, and change the subject. LOL!

And we discover, they couldn't hit water if they fell out of a $#$#^& boat!
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White

History repeating itself here

Anyone remember what happened last time hawaii was attacked bet the Japanese do.
    Let's see, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, BEFORE declaring war. We responded by destroying every major city, THEN dropping two atomic weapons on two lesser cities.

Now N Korea lauches a missile.......How about this time we finish the job that should have been completed during the Korean 'conflict'.

We postponed the conflict with North Korea in the 1950s, when we should have won it. Will we have to do the same thing in another 20 years with Vietnam?

Remember the axiom...'there can be NO peace without victory'......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Good point i sure hope we don't have this problem with vietnam in 20 years .

i don't thing that N. Korea would attack us on purpose, they know 100% that we would wipe them out off the face of the earth the next day, or possibly minutes later. We have so much fire power ready to use, no one is safe from the United States.

But all their other missiles landed in the ocean as well that they tested, so I don't think they were trying to attack us YET.
    They would be awfully stupid to do any such thing.

Very strange though, that they did all of this on our INDEPENDENCE DAY.

2 words for North Korea...

AIRBORNE LASER... http://www.airforce-technology.com/projects/abl/

I wuold LOVE to see the Air Force test this platform out on the next launch from North Korea!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Quote Originally Posted by fitznig
    i don't thing that N. Korea would attack us on purpose, they know 100% that we would wipe them out off the face of the earth the next day, or possibly minutes later. We have so much fire power ready to use, no one is safe from the United States.

But all their other missiles landed in the ocean as well that they tested, so I don't think they were trying to attack us YET.
    They would be awfully stupid to do any such thing.

Very strange though, that they did all of this on our INDEPENDENCE DAY.

I hope you right but there leader is a serious whack job and has the Napoleon complex something Terrible it looks like i think he's dumb enough to try it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links