Random thoughts on discourse!

This is a discussion on Random thoughts on discourse! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nearly bedtime - but was thinking how differently things can be discussed - brought on by another site I was at where ''discussion'' was more ...

Thread: Random thoughts on discourse!

Assistant Administrator

Random thoughts on discourse!

Nearly bedtime - but was thinking how differently things can be discussed - brought on by another site I was at where ''discussion'' was more like WWIII

Version #1 - ''You are full of **** and are talking out of your *** - that is wrong and I am right - get a life - you ********* "

Version #2 - I beg to disagree and feel you are not taking a broad enough view. Perhaps consider this ........... as an alternative tho I respect your right to opinion. We can always agree to differ.

How easily we get ruffled feathers when our favorite views are challenged but - as adults it is possible to argue quite strongly and yet - maintain decorum. Attacking another always seems to be in some ways a reflection against ourselves - because we are too lazy to frame an argument and so, we attack the proponent of what we do not like.

Glad to say that for the most part folks here do extraordinarily well - and that is both gladdening and refreshing. Invective can be satisfying sometimes but what does it achieve? Not a whole lot - it only fans flames.

So - I thank folks for managing largely to follow the dictates Bumper has laid down. No wonder I spend way more time here these days than anywhere else
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    +1 Chris!

We have great members here that truly come here to learn and impart their knowledge to the other members...due to that, this has become my "go to" forum.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Lol good point Chris , there are some here who i Strongly disagree with , howeaver i try and remember what i tought my kids .... When you point a finger at someone look down , you will have 3 pointing back at you .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member
    right on Chris!
    RKBA

John

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Nearly bedtime - but was thinking how differently things can be discussed - brought on by another site I was at where ''discussion'' was more like WWIII

Version #1 - ''You are full of **** and are talking out of your *** - that is wrong and I am right - get a life - you ********* "
    So Chris- This deal with Gun Kid got you thinking about the "good old days at PN " eh?

Yep I'm glad it's pretty calm here.

Assistant Administrator
    Not so sure Ed - I guess things have ''progressed''

It boils down really to the old time and place deal - like with cussing - some places ya can - some ya can't And I do confess to enjoying relatively non-confrontational discussion these days, as being way more productive.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I may not always agree with you but I agree that you are always entitled to your opinion.

Senior Moderator
    I may not always agree with you but I agree that you are always entitled to your opinion.
    I like my version better.Altough Ive never actually said it to anyone, (I DO try to be polite) I've thought it more than once...

I may not always agree with you but I agree that you are always entitled to your opinion however ill informed, uneducated, ignorant,ridiculous sounding and simple minded it may be.

VIP Member
    If a person cannot act polite and rational to another person while as pixels online, when he has ample time to write a response, re-read it and edit it before clicking "submit reply", it makes me wonder how that person acts in real life. And considering we're all on the kind of board this is, we should be able to be polite and rational.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    If a person cannot act polite and rational to another person while as pixels online,
    "pixels online" huh ?

interesting. never heard it put that way.

I like that...

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    You come onto a forum(any forum)and there are rules. They are different for each site. Some I agree with, some I don't. That really doesn't matter. If you can live with the rules(abide by the rules).....then stay and participate. If not,just leave. That simple.

The rules should apply to everybody equally. It should not matter how long you have been a member or surely not how many posts you have submitted. Your background should not govern how you are treated by the owner or mods.

ALL rules should apply to ALL who post here. Owner,mods,and all members should be treated equally.

If there is something posted here that I don't agree with,that's my problem. If I brake the rules of this forum(and the rules are applied equally)I should be delt with in the same manner as anyone else.

I have lived by all kinds of rules in my life and I have found that if they are applied equally to everyone,it makes them a hellova allot easier to abide by. And if you brake the rules you can surely understand the consequinces.

All I expect outta my time here is equality,anything else is "gravy". --------

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    They can be pretty bad. The mods here, and the members, do a good job of keeping it civil. You can go to a lot of boards with knowledgeable people (THR, TFL, and many others), but none are as uniformly civil as this one. That was the single most important reason I stopped lurking and joined.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    You come onto a forum(any forum)and there are rules. They are different for each site. Some I agree with, some I don't. That really doesn't matter. If you can live with the rules(abide by the rules).....then stay and participate. If not, just leave. That simple.
    It is that simple, and conversely if a person can't live with the rules, and doesn't leave on their own, one of the Mods will willingly help him/her to the door.

We aim to keep this the most civil, family friendly gun forum on the "Net".
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Not so sure Ed - I guess things have ''progressed''

It boils down really to the old time and place deal - like with cussing - some places ya can - some ya can't And I do confess to enjoying relatively non-confrontational discussion these days, as being way more productive.

I agree, I just think back how silly some of that got. I know some opinions can be deep seated and emotional but some go waaay over the top in "promoting" theirs.

Lead Moderator
    I find being civil on the computer much easier than in life. In life I tend to shove my foot in my mouth ever now and again.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links