Do you keep a months supply of food and water for emergencies ?

This is a discussion on Do you keep a months supply of food and water for emergencies ? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Living on the east coast of Florida I have always kept a 30 day supply of food and water and enough fuel for my generator ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep a months supply of food and water for emergencies ?

Question Do you keep a months supply of food and water for emergencies ?

Living on the east coast of Florida I have always kept a 30 day supply of food and water and enough fuel for my generator and grill to last at least that long. Lately I have increased that to about 45 days not so much for weather related emergencies but because of the growing unstability of the government. I get responses from others that range from I am being paranoid to that is no where near enough and I should have at least a years supply. What are some of your thoughts on the issue ?

Oh yeah I have a few hundred rounds of ammunition for each pistol and shotgun and a bit more for the AR.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    About 2 weeks of food.Need to work on the water though.We do have a 30,000 gallon in-ground pool,guess we would need to purify it.

No, around six months. Ammo, more than I can move on a handtruck in a load or two.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

On top of that I would recommend something like C.E.R.T. training. Unless you all ready have that sort of training.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    About 2 weeks of food.Need to work on the water though.We do have a 30,000 gallon in-ground pool,guess we would need to purify it.
    One of the best $250 investments I have ever made.

http://www.bigberkeywaterfilters.com/
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    No, around six months. Ammo, more than I can move on a handtruck in a load or two.
    See now that's what I am talking about.

kpw
    I have 4 kids...3 of them teenagers. I'd need a small warehouse for anything more than a few weeks. My monthly food bill is more than my house payment. If it gets that bad, we're headed 3 miles down the road to my sister's place. She's got enough horse & goat meat on the hoof to get all of us through for a long time along with the occasional chicken here and there. I'd have to learn how to make belts and holsters!
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

I try to keep around 1000 rounds per gun, 10 days to 2 week's worth of food and water.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Senior Moderator
    I've got enough ammo that I''ll just take what I want from liberals that wont beleive its happening.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ammo seems to take up less space than canned goods for sure, but it's heavier and can't go in the cupboards lest they fall off the wall. We probably have a couple months worth of canned goods. Water? Well, not so much. Got me thinking now...need to re-supply a few cases of it since we went through most of it this summer. I've been getting more of the larger bottled sports drinks lately due to my working conditions and hours. I've had a few bouts with cramps in the feet and hands. Canned goods we're also good on and I try to keep a decent supply of canned vegetables as well (I'm a meat and potatoes guy mainly), less greens and more of the corn and carrots LOL! I sort of like the mini ravioli right straight out of the can sometimes and I'm thinking it has most of the food groups (just like pizza). Our ammo supply? Let's just say all of it is in ammo cans and crates, and I can completely fill up the bed of my pickup truck without stacking for now. Squats it down pretty good in the rear.

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    not yet--but working on it--next on the list is a 17 KW generator (nat gas/propane) and 1,000 gal propane tank. (we have a well, but need elect. to run the well pump, septic pump, heating system) We already have beef on the hoof, milk cows and poultry. A LARGE garden goes in this spring..... coming up with a plan to invest monthly to buy more ammo and guns for potential barter.

Of interesting note in this regard--a church that I am aquainted with in our general vicinity was asked to submit a grant request to a Christian group that wants to teach Christians to become more self-sufficient (growing food, learning agriculrtual skills, building greenhouses etc.) This grant, if they get it, will be for $26 Million over 5 years!! This group feels that the US is heading into severe economic hard times. I find this rather sobering........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Ammo is good, plenty for everything and since I tried to get at tleast one gun in each popular caliber, whats left is also mine. Food, For the 5 of us I have 6 months commercial pre packaged dehydrated stuff (mountain house) I have 5 cases of MRE for times on the move if necessary. Additionally, I have 600 lbs of wheat berries, 400 lbs of sugar (doesnt spoil), 500 lbs of salt, 25 gallons of honey (doesnt spoil and has a natural antibiotic effect), 500 lbs each of beans and rice. By working the bulk products into the normal diet we rotate the total supply about once a year. I also have one 50 lb bucket of pool shock, which can be made into chlorine, which can purify water. A 50 lb bucket of shock can be use to porift 1.4 million gallons of water. look it up
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

My goal is to be able to stay put for up to 90 days. Hurricanes, blizzards or weather related stuff.

These post nuclear war scenarios... well, I'm screwed.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Administrator
    I buy from Efoodsdirect
    http://www.efoodsdirect.com/

If you are not going to stock up on long term storage freeze dried or dehydrated food then AT LEAST start building up a traditional pantry in a cool, dry, dark spot.

It was a good idea for GrandMa & GrandPa & it's a good idea for today. Start SOON!

Start stocking up on the foods that you normally eat anyway & add things like preserves & canned fruit...etc. Then just rotate stuff in & out to keep up on the expiration dates.

Wrap/seal things like pasta boxes in Aluminum foil for airtightness.

Just do it if for no other reason than food prices (in general) are going to start skyrocketing in the near future.

We could go 3-4 months without leaving the house.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links