Power Outage, This Sucks!!

This is a discussion on Power Outage, This Sucks!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My power often goes out too. Doesn't matter if its a rain storm or a bright smooth sunny day :(...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Power Outage, This Sucks!!

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    My power often goes out too. Doesn't matter if its a rain storm or a bright smooth sunny day :(
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

2. Remove Ads

I'm getting ready to buy a new house. If I have any money left over I'm planning on a whole house standby generator which is run on natural gas. Being in the mid-west we get either serious rain storms or occasionally a lot of snow. Two years ago, my buddy was without power for 10 days after a thunderstorm. About 5 years ago, 1/2 my town was without power for about 6 days following an ice storm. I was lucky to be on the side of town which had power, but that was just the luck of the draw.

Granted, most of our power outages has been for less than 3 - 4 hours but I also plan on fortifying my home and bugging in during most SHTF or civil unrest situations anyway so it would be nice to have power when others may not (As long as the natural gas line is not interrupted).
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

The solar flares are ramping up and can put us out of electricity for months. People won't be sitting around drinking beer anymore.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The lines will last, it's usually the trees nearby that fall on them. But if they mandated clear-cutting within 40 feet of every power line people would scream about losing their trees.
    Same thing happened here. After those hurricanes in 04, they got a lot more strict about cutting back trees, and inevitably, some people (loudly) complained.

I'll never understand the selfishness of people. You'd rather have your ill-maintained, old tree and risk cutting off power to hundreds of people rather than just planting a tree somewhere else? Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    The solar flares are ramping up and can put us out of electricity for months. People won't be sitting around drinking beer anymore.
    It seems no one is taking the threat of a natural EMP seriously, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Nowadays it seems like just about everyone needs a generator. Poor infrastructure and maintenance.
    yup...sad day when the power company around here will actually drop you a hookup line just outside your home for free so you can hook up your own gen.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links