Power Outage, This Sucks!!

Power Outage, This Sucks!!

This is a discussion on Power Outage, This Sucks!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Two minutes after I arrive home from a long hard day at work and BAM, the power goes off. Not fair! The power company estimates ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Outage, This Sucks!!

VIP Member

Thumbs down Power Outage, This Sucks!!

Two minutes after I arrive home from a long hard day at work and BAM, the power goes off. Not fair! The power company estimates restoration of power by 10AM tomorrow morning.

Thank God for my Blackberry and the portable DVD player I keep charged up!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Administrator
    Glad that you can still be with us even without the main juice.

theres always the vehicle plug in as long as the gas holds out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Our power goes out around here quite frequently. So frequently in fact that most people have portable generators. During the ice storm of 2008 we were out for five days. Spent the first two nights with our daughter, then in a hotel for the remainder.

So, I feel your pain. Good luck and hope they get your power back on soon.

Gunny
    Are you ready for the snow this weekend?

Why'd your power go out? Snow storm? Here is where a rechargeable 12v gel cell would come in handy.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

VIP Member
    Well it wasn't as bad as they told us was going to be. At the height of it about 10,000 homes in the Victoria area were without power. We were out for about six or seven hours. The 7:00AM news this morning reported that as of broadcast time, power had been restored to all except 2000 homes.

The outages were caused by high winds, 60+ mph, an occupational hazard in this area at this time of year. There is another wind warning out for tonight.

And Ally, I'm arranging for the winds to blow all the snow in your direction!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Sure glad our power lines will withstand 60mph winds. Usually the only things that knocks out our power is a hurricane or a dumb driver that hits a power pole:)
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

I'm a little further south from you, but we had some wind and rain here last night too. Our power flickered a few times and went out for about 10 seconds. Guess we got lucky.

P.S. I sent you a PM.

Nowadays it seems like just about everyone needs a generator. Poor infrastructure and maintenance.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Nowadays it seems like just about everyone needs a generator. Poor infrastructure and maintenance.
    +1

Outdated and archaic infrastructure..it all needs to be changed. Saw a documentary, most - if not all - of the US power grids and infrastructure is outdated and overloaded.
    Babyhulk
    NRA Life Member since 2010

Many places in FL were forced to just about completely rebuild the distribution infrastructure after the summer where we had three hurricanes in a row. We were without power for a week and a day after Charlie (although luckily, that was the only thing that happened - no damage). It's actually interesting. Many people think that power out = violent anarchy, but it was kind of the opposite. Lots of people were basically sitting out on their driveways on lawchairs, talking, drinking beer... just basically chilling out (because it was too hot to be inside without AC anyway).

Having the power go out si actually kind of depressing. You gain a sudden appreciation for the basics of modern conveniences very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Alte View Post
    Sure glad our power lines will withstand 60mph winds. Usually the only things that knocks out our power is a hurricane or a dumb driver that hits a power pole:)
    The lines will last, it's usually the trees nearby that fall on them. But if they mandated clear-cutting within 40 feet of every power line people would scream about losing their trees.

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    The lines will last, it's usually the trees nearby that fall on them. But if they mandated clear-cutting within 40 feet of every power line people would scream about losing their trees.
    40 feet? You must have short trees if 40 feet would be enough of a buffer.

We experienced the same windstorm that GunnyBunny did, but we got away lucky. Just some flickering lights.

Now, the windstorm in 2006 was different. 8 days without power...

I was being conservative. 100 would be better, but they balk at 40 so I don't think there's a long term solution except to bury the lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links