76 year old lady nearly dies protecting her Jack Russell from a dog attack - Page 2

76 year old lady nearly dies protecting her Jack Russell from a dog attack

This is a discussion on 76 year old lady nearly dies protecting her Jack Russell from a dog attack within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by stevem174 I am very sorry that your daughter was attacked. I hope she is OK both physically and emotionally. That's a very ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 76 year old lady nearly dies protecting her Jack Russell from a dog attack

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I am very sorry that your daughter was attacked. I hope she is OK both physically and emotionally. That's a very traumatic experience for anyone, let alone a child.

I have no idea where the data come from that says "nearly every attack by a dog perpetrated by a pit bull? " but they are absolutely wrong. The majority of dog bites happen by smaller dogs. But they get by with it because they are "cute" and they don't do the damage that a larger dog does. Dogs act based on two overall factors, genetic predisposition and learned behavior. Pit bulls have a genetic predisposition to be dominate, assertive and aggressive. The same is true for German Shepherds, Belgian Malinois, and Rottweiler among other breeds. Of course when people see a GSD or Malinois they think “police dog”, when they see a Pitbull they think “drug dealer” or “thug”. Saying nearly every attack is done by a Pitbull is just as accurate as saying nearly every gun attack uses a AK47. The media does that often, but then again they are often wrong.
    I believe you are wrong. True little dogs get away with biting.. but they don't do the damage that larger dogs do. You find very little in the news about German Shepherd Dogs attacking people (except when used by law enforcement). Glockman is correct. Dogs are still animals, just like cats are, and we humans have turned them into pets. They still have their natural instincts to hunt and kill. People have a tendency to place a dogs value above human value. I'll admit that some human low life's do rank below that of a dog, as a whole that way of thinking is wrong.

Here is your report...."Bulls, Rottweilers, and American Bulldogs were responsible for 77% of all deaths."

Source: http://www.edgarsnyder.com/dog-bite/statistics.html

or how about this one: http://blog.dogsbite.org/2010/07/mid...atalities.html
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    I believe you are wrong. True little dogs get away with biting.. but they don't do the damage that larger dogs do. I believe I said that.

You find very little in the news about German Shepherd Dogs attacking people (except when used by law enforcement). That doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. That simply means that the local news doesn't report it. As a Medic I have been called to many dog bites that never made the news. As a dog trainer, I have worked with several hundred dogs with aggressive problems of different levels. There is a breed prejudice, news about a Pittbull has a better hook than a story about other breeds or mixed breeds. We also need to remember that drug dealers, thugs and wannabes like the "tough dog image". So they work on building on the Pitbulls genetic predisposition for dominance, assertiveness and aggression. If those same dirtbags would have adopted a different breed such as the Rott or the GSD, then we would have the same issues just with a different breed. I have to stand by the concept, it's not the breed, it's the people.

Glockman is correct. Dogs are still animals, just like cats are, and we humans have turned them into pets. They still have their natural instincts to hunt and kill. People have a tendency to place a dogs value above human value. I'll admit that some human low life's do rank below that of a dog, as a whole that way of thinking is wrong. I agree with you and will say the more people I am around the more I like my dog

Here is your report...."Bulls, Rottweilers, and American Bulldogs were responsible for 77% of all deaths."

Source: http://www.edgarsnyder.com/dog-bite/statistics.html

or how about this one: http://blog.dogsbite.org/2010/07/mid...atalities.html
    Yes, those are fatal attacks, not attacks or bites. Most dog bites go unreported or misreported. Of course, I am not saying that Pitbulls can not be dangerous, but it's not a breed trait. Any dog can bite and should be treated that way. The most dangerous dog that I have ever worked with was a St. Bernard. He was a very nasty dog. BTW my working dog is a Malinois
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If there are no bad dogs, why are nearly every attack by a dog perpetrated by a pit bull?
    One attacked my daughter when she was a small child. Luckily I was there, nearly cut the damn thing in half with a brush axe. I was in such a rage that this thing could have harmed my baby girl, the owner was next, but noone claimed the dog.
    When an unleashed dog comes in my yard to this day, it's dead. They become test gelatin for my loads. I'm not an animal lover who thinks they have rights. They don't. If people "love them" then keep them up.
    Exactly. I go by that same simple policy too just like you.

I would second the walking stick. I on several occasions entered an impound yard to retrieve something from an impounded vehicle, when the owner could not be contacted. There were usually two "yard dogs" and they wanted nothing to do with a fast swung baton.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Windsor, Virginia. Rural area about an hour west of Norfolk and Virginia Beach. My back yard basically. I heard the run go out on my scanner.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Dogs are bred to bring out specific characteristics that were inherent in their wolf ancestry... it might be speed (greyhounds), sense of smell (hounds/labs), hunting & tracking...etc.
    Pitbulls, Rottweilers, American Bulldogs, etc. were specifically bred to highlight the wolf's ferociousness and fighting abilities.
    Can dogs of these breeds be 'redeemed'? Absolutely.
    But it generally takes a lot of knowledge and skill to do so in a way that the dog can be fully trusted.
    It's wise to treat these breeds with a lot of caution and common sense.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links